Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SVI mags (stamped) issue..

Torogi

There is one other topic running on the newer SVI mags, i've read the thread but i have one other issue. I have one tube and here is the issue, so i can bust out the dremel and adjust the mag catch hole, BUT, by doing that i didn't actually cure the problem, here is why.

Older SVI tube on top, newer bottom (logo stamped)

SU1HMDAwMTItMjAxMDA3MTUtMjIwNy5qcGc.jpg

Mag release hole, so its lined up, other picture shows the fit just under the ejector.

SU1HMDAwMDItMjAxMDA3MTUtMjIwMS5qcGc.jpgSU1HMDAwMTEtMjAxMDA3MTUtMjIwNS5qcGc.jpg

Here is the newer magazine, hole not aligned. notice on 2nd picture the bigger gap between the ejector and the mag lips. if i dremel the mag hole higher, the position under the ejector isn't really cured. or will it?

SU1HMDAwMDgtMjAxMDA3MTUtMjIwNC5qcGc.jpgSU1HMDAwMDYtMjAxMDA3MTUtMjIwMy5qcGc.jpg

my other question is why in an unmounted grip, the newer magazine will actually line up the holes for the mag and the mag release?

SU1HMDAwMTQtMjAxMDA3MTYtMDkxNi5qcGc.jpg

what can i do to have the magazine go in further so it will sit (not touching of course) under the ejector and and have the holes lined up and to not actually dremel anything?

i did try to have the (new) tube fit on my limited gun and it actually went it. fitted right. it does have the mag release of SVI so since my open have the STI mag release i swapped it. well, it didn't work.

I'm no big time mag tuner but I have had the same issue a few times. It had nothing to do with new or old just different tubes (SV and STI). The problem is that the mag is hitting the bottom of the frame. If you take the grip off and insert the mag into the frame you will see where the mag hits. The frame strikes what I'll call the mags "shoulders".

Measure a mag that works from side to side. You will want to squeeze the offending mag to match the dimensions of the good mag. This is done carefully in a vise.

To sum it up you want the mags shoulders to be narrower so that it will go further into the frame allowing the mag catch to line up with the hole in the mag.

Does that make sense?

You don't really want the magazine to be as close to the ejector as you have it in your first pic (old mag). As long as enough of the cartridge is available for the slide to engage it will be fine. It looks like raising up the mag catch hole will lower the mag about the right amount away from the ejector. R,

ok so it looks like i have 2 options..

1. modify the mag so "shoulders" won't touch the frame.

2. modify hole to hit mag catch, upside would be the tip of mag will be lower from the ejector.

while typing this i just realized i would go with 2, since slamming a mag and with little distance between the mag and bottom of ejector i may end up screwing up my ejector.

thanks SGTIS108 and Gman.

I may be confused a little. Is the stamped mag the one that is almost touching the ejector?

If it is a have no advice. Makeing it seat deeper with do you no good at all.

sgtis, you got it the first time, old mags almost (but not) hitting the ejector. the newer mag sits lower.

May be a little of both of option 1 and 2.

With my solution if you squeeze a little at a time you can adjust how close you want the feed lips to the ejector.

Then option 2? to finish it up.

Remember you can remove to much in that hole, be careful!

The place to squeeze or adjust is the point where the mag contacts the frame. Which will be approx. Halfway between the notch in the mag and the feed lips.

Edited by sgtis108

May be a little of both of option 1 and 2.

With my solution if you squeeze a little at a time you can adjust how close you want the feed lips to the ejector.

Then option 2? to finish it up.

Remember you can remove to much in that hole, be careful!

Hey why not? thanks for the input!

Hello: I think your new mag is hitting the grip nut on the inside of the frame. If you chamfer the nut on the bottom the mag will come up higher. You can check this by using a black marker and paint both sides of the mag to see where it is hitting. Then chamfer the nuts and you MAY have to squeeze the mag a bit in at that point. Make sense? Thanks, Eric

This whole New Specs things for STI and SVI is kind of driving me nuts. Seems like everyone has a different answer Even the pros.

I kind of like the question why did they change in first place.

At area one this year I talked Don Kemble, who is outside sales rep for STI, and ended up buying, on a whim, a new improved Alumininum Grip.

I asked him if it would work with his new mags or my original STI mags. His answer was maybe. He proceeded tell story about three differnent shoters at STI who have same setup with new Grip and NewMags. I asked him if they all work and he said maybe. He said one mag will work in one gun but not the other. Others that dont work in one Gun will work in another.

Don is such a great saleman and talker I did not wanted to get into a shaggy dog story.

But if there are any magazine, mag catch mavens out there, I would love to hear their take on all this stuf. It is totally frustrating and especially for 10 rd guys that are changing mags all the time. That being said my SV mags on old gun work fine in open and Limited. The STI mags (with Dawson Tuning) seem to work well in a new Limited Gun but not so well in new Open Gun (different mags and calibers)

My experience with mags both STI and SV is not that they are new style or old style it's INCONSISTENCY!

Not just the mags but the grips also.

I have 5 S_I guns and the grip is different on each one. " These mags will work in that gun but not in this one, well mag number 3 will work in three guns but not the other 2 etc. etc."

As much money as I pour into this equipment it gets under my skin.

I'm to the point now that I have to tune a set of mags for a gun.

Life would be so easy if all the mag dimensions were the same and the grips where the same. Even close would be nice.

Rant mode Off.

Edited by sgtis108

My .2cts :

The new SV mag is contacting the bottom of the frame or the grips nuts.

Chamfer the bottom of the frame, same with the grip nuts.

I had to do it in order to use Rescomp and Brazilian mags for my IPSC standard pistols.

My pistols have the new stainless grips.

post-1108-127980079688_thumb.jpg

post-1108-127980082778_thumb.jpg

Inconsistency is it.

I have 3 STI frames that have utilized the same 9 ea .40 SVI mags from an older SVI framed pistol that I sold years ago. All 4 pistols have worked flawlessly on the 9 SVI mags until I cracked a grip in the 6” gun this year and had to replace it. The gun has had major problems since installing the replacement grip; the old trigger simply has too much movement in this grip. I will be rebuilding it with a new grip, trigger, hammer, sear and disconnect to eliminate the issues.

Out.

2011BLDR

Hello: What did you find out? Was it hitting the frame? I am tempted to buy a new SVI mag to see what is going on. Anyone have a new SVI 9mm/38 mag that doeasn't work for them? Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric,

i havent gotten around it yet. i have received PMs on how to fix it. Hopefully this weekend i'll have time to tinker about the fit. It will be a busy weekend, Golden Bullet 2010 for us here at northern CA.

Just a question but why not use just Sti mags with spacers? My friend uses them in his 9mm open gun and has no problems.

Are they still not as reliable as the SV's?

i have SVI mags to start of, and i was told since ill get a new mag, i'd be better of with SV mags. now to answer the reliability of STI's over SVI's, personally i dont have experience with STI mags, ive had had SVI with my Limited and now with open. and i think it will be a thread drift on discussing about reliability at this point. (even if i am the OP) :roflol:

Edited by Torogi