Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Class IPSC

I think production class IPSC is great. However I have no interest whatsoever in ever shooting Limited or Open. All I want to do is shoot the same guns that I'd use to defend myself. It seems like everyone thinks that the production division is like the minor league of IPSC. Are there any other shooters out there like me who never intend on shooting Limited or Open ?

I've only shot production and Lim-10 for the last 18 months or so since my "return" to the shooting sports.  The reason was it was a matter of shooting guns I already owned that were a good match to the new production division.  I only moved to Lim-10 because nobody shoots production much at the state and sometimes area level (not that Lim-10 is that much better).  I got caught up in the open class arms race in the late 80s/early 90s and just wasn't going to do that again.  That was pretty ugly financially because in a short period of time for me, there was a transition in open class from 45s to supers, putting Aimpoints on those; shortly later changing to a C-More, followed shortly thereafter by the emergence of the wide body frames.  Even if I started shooting some limited now, I'm not sure I just wouldn't buy some hi-caps and use the Glock 35 I use for Lim-10.  Even now, I enjoy shooting the 9 more than anything I own.

Open gun design has been pretty stable for a while - at least 7 or 8 years. Pretty much everything is on an STI or SV frame with an occasional Para showing up. Some varitation is comp and porting designs but nothing signficant. Probably 75-80% are using Cmores. Super/Super Comp/9x23 aren't terribly different when it comes right down to it.

PGM,

Your cause is hopeless.  I can already tell that you have been bitten by "the bug".  

I, too, got into action pistol shooting to learn to shoot my defensive gun better.  Now I am on a quest to constantly improve.

That doesn't meant you have to buy lots of new and fancy equipment.  Guys like cpty1 are kicking butt with fairly stock setups.

PGM,

The big problem with Production is that it's new.  Not enough of the top shooters have dropped down to shoot it, so it's very uncompetitive at least on a club, maybe on a regional level.  In five years, that will probably all change and Production will be as challenging a division as any.

I decided not to wait that long and jumped into Limited and am getting my butt whipped on a weekly basis now.

:)

E

I went to a Glock 35 from a Para hicap gun. I don't miss it. I shoot the Glock in all divisions with the same major power factor load. I can't tell the dif in loads when the buzzer goes off. Prod in our area has started to increase, but Lim 10 has taken off very well.

I also think that Production class will take off in the next few years. I am trying to get ready to attend the Factory gun nats. Hopefully there will be more than just a few competitors in Prod. div.

Mike4045

• 2 weeks later...

Philadelphia,

"Are there any other shooters out there like me who never intend on shooting Limited or Open ?"

Yes.  They are called IDPA Shooters.  :)

But seriously, who really cares?  Go shoot and have a good time and develop your skills.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Dogma, I'm one.  Shoot production, also shoot IDPA.  I shoot because I like to, to develop better skills and abilities.

Not my intention to get into those classes.  That being said, I never thought I would get the shooting bug this bad, though.  What started as an expansion of shooting - got very tired of standing at the indoor range punching holes in paper - has developed into a hobby and passion of sorts for me.

Still not as good as I want to be (yet), but I can shoot a lot as my toys are quite affordable, they are (to me) more realistic and geared to what I want to use them for, and I don't really give a flying flip if other shooters make fun of me or not.  I just ignore them - the joys of having good muffs!

I get some of that "IDPA weinie" stuff, but I still like to shoot it.  And since I shoot for me, and not them...

Guys, I've just got to clear up one thing.

Anybody who thinks Production Division equates to the "minor leagues" is grossly mistaken. Each Division is recognised equally with the same prestige by IPSC.

I would be just as proud being IPSC World Production Division Champion (dream on Pinto!), as any other divisional world champion.

If you're going to downgrade Production, you may as well downgrade Standard Division (and you can tell Mike Voigt). :-)

Some sports like boxing separate divisions by the weight of the competitors (this would really help me!), and other sports such as car and yacht racing separate divisions by the equipment used. IPSC is no different.

Heh,

I'm only poking fun around...not even at any particular individual.  I also shoot IDPA.  It gives me a place where my carry gun will work, and I have fun shooting it.  I also shoot my 1911 in Limited 10.  To me, trigger time is trigger time, and that's a good time.

It just seems that IPSC courses of fire often are really not geared well toward "production" guns, and IDPA course design limits fall a bit better within the constraints of the pistols used.

Anyway, have fun shooting!

DogmaDog