Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which shotgun should I replace my Remington 1100 with?

twodownzero

You guys probably aren't going to believe this, but my Remington 1100 Compmaster was stolen at a match in May. I'm as shocked and appalled as you guys are reading this, but in the end, there's really nothing I can do. Best I can tell, it disappeared while me and a few other guys were tearing down the stages (walls, etc.). For the past four years, I haven't shot as much multi/3 gun as I would have liked, but I got great service from my 1100. Whoever stole it from me is probably going to really enjoy it, because it was 100% reliable and a great shotgun overall.

Over the past year or so, I've seen a lot of people say that the 1100 isn't as durable as other options, with a lot of people talking about the Benelli M2. Since my 1100 is now gone, since I'll probably never get it back, and I have the opportunity to shop for another shotgun, I am seeking the advice of the pros here.

I was very happy with my 1100 and the first thought is to replace it with the new Tac-4 model, which is essentially the same gun I had before.

If I go with a Benelli, are there any 922® concerns with a field shotgun + extension? I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know what the imported parts count is on these shotguns? Does Benelli make a 22" or so model? If so, does anyone know the model number? Their website is difficult to navigate.

Depending on what my insurance company gives me for $$$, I might have to look for a used shotty, but if I can afford a new one, I'd like to know what the options are.

first of all, i dont claim to be the "pro" you may be seeking advice from, but i do try to keep my ears open and assimilate information.

some considerations for you: if you are a casual shooter and the Remington was working fine for you, consider going back with another one. Especially if you dont get a pile of $$$ from your insurance. While the Rem1100's get slammed a little here, consider that most of it has to do with them possibly not being as robust as some of the other popular offerings, not quite standing up to the repetative abuse of a heavy match schedule.

aside from that, the other "kool" kids on the block now are the Benelli M2 which you mentioned as well as the FN SLP mk1 or Winchester SX2/SX3.

aside from that, the other "kool" kids on the block now are the Benelli M2 which you mentioned as well as the FN SLP mk1 or Winchester SX2/SX3.

I guess what I'm asking is...what do these offer that my 1100 didn't? I know the general thought is that the 1100 is not reliable, but my experience has shown that to be false. Do the FN or Winchester shoot faster, or have fewer moving parts, etc.?

I know I looked at the Winchester when I bought my 1100, and it really seemed like the same thing to me.

I'm searching through the forum right now to see if there's a post I missed over time.

I shot a 1100CM for a long time, and when the FN rage hit, I just had to have one. It doesn't run as well as my Remmy, and is not nearly as reliable-even with quality ammo. If you liked what you had, you may consider sticking with it. I know the FNs cycle faster and stuff but if I can't honestly outrun my 1100 under match conditions, then it doesn't matter. I'm not knocking the other platforms, but on match day, I'll be shooting my old reliable 1100. Just something to consider.

It's interesting. Having looked at the other models, I just don't see what they have to offer over the 1100. I may hold off on buying a shotgun; I'm not yet sure. I am pissed that mine got stolen, though, so who knows.

Remington Tac4 1100. Runs right out of the box-good to go for tactical or Limited. I think they are great guns. I think part of the reason that your gun may not have given you trouble is that you didn't shoot it that much. If you are shooting heavy 100-200 rounds a day for months practicing-the gas guns get really dirty and start to malfunction-needing lots of daily cleaning and maintenance. I switched to a Benelli M1Super90 because, although it does need daily attention, it is less onerous in the cleaning department. Plus I really like loading with my left hand and the pistol grip really fits that style.

You guys probably aren't going to believe this, but my Remington 1100 Compmaster was stolen at a match in May. I'm as shocked and appalled as you guys are reading this, but in the end, there's really nothing I can do. Best I can tell, it disappeared while me and a few other guys were tearing down the stages (walls, etc.).

I shot that match and received the email about the missing gun. I was hoping that someone had taken it by mistake and it would resurface. I'm mad as hell some scumbag would steal a shotgun at one of our matches. I'm glad you had insurance.

As for a new gun, my vote goes for a Benelli M2. I love the way mine shoots.

Benelli model number 11026 will get you a 21" VR comfort tech stocked 12g w/crio chokes. Add an extension and a little better front sight and you will have a very good shotgun. Lighten the bolt and do a host of other small things and you will have a very very good shotgun. No worries with 922r, unless you hold up the local grocery store with it...

If you do not plan to shoot case after case of ammo and want to save about 10 cases of ammo worth of $$$$...get another remington. I started this game with an old 1100 and it served me well for a long time. Never an issue.

It was a serious learning curve switching to the Benelli though. But I would not change now as the Benelli points, swings, and cycles in a way the remy never did.

It's interesting. Having looked at the other models, I just don't see what they have to offer over the 1100. I may hold off on buying a shotgun; I'm not yet sure. I am pissed that mine got stolen, though, so who knows.

I've also considered "upgrading" my 1100 to a FNH. My only issue with my Rem is the loading gate. I've switched it to a Competion Master gate but it's not the best for weak hand loading.

One other thing that convinced me to wait on the upgrade was a recent conversation with one of my local gun shop owners. He is typically a very straight shooter so I'll give hime the benefit of the doubt here. He informed me that Remington would be coming out with a new auto loading shotgun to replace the 11-87 sometime in late 2010 or early 2011 that will be like nothing we've ever seen from Remington. It's supposed to cycle 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 with some significantly better recoil reduction than your typical gas operated autoloader. :blink: Time will tell if he knew what he was talking about or not. :rolleyes:

I've used an 1100 for 3 gun and have been razzed alot for shooting it. Last year at the MGM ironman folks on my squad were taking betts on when my 1100 would quit (i think they actually said explode). They were all shooting Saigas(another spendy option). I gave it TLC every night and it operated fine for the whole match.

This year I borrowed a friend's benelli M2 and it too has given me a lot of problems. I had a failure to feed issue and I thought it was the mag tube spring so I replaced it. Then I had a problem where the the bolt would be held open for no apparant reason causing a failure to feed problem with the round laying on the feed latch. So time to fix.

Basically everything wears out. If you're not going to shoot a lot, then the 1100 or other gas operated Remington would be fine. If you are going to shoot a lot, you can probably buy 2 Remingotn 1100's for the cost of the Benelli M2, converted Saiga, or tricked out Saiga.

Benelli is easier to clean since there is no gas mess to worry about.

You could go open and get a tricked out Saiga from a bunch of differnt places or spend the time to convert your own. I know a shooter on this forum that's on his 9th Saiga.

If you are happy with Remington and like the 1100, you should like the 1187 even more. It has a stainless steel mag tube which is easier to clean and will never rust. If you want a lighter weight shotgun and weak hand reload, the Benelli would be the better choice. I shot a 1187 for 5 years before switching to a M2. I think both are fine shotguns.

I am fairly new to 3 gun but also shot a Rem. 1187. The gun functioned fine for me with heavier loads but wouldnt cycle light loads. I have just purchased a new M2 and ran 100 rounds through it. The gun fits well and functioned flawlessly, and remained clean compared to my 11-87. So far I am very happy with the M2 and would definitley choose it over the 11-87, the M2 action also runs much smoother than the Rem., but it should for the extra money.

IMHO most any shotgun will run just as well as the other if you keep them clean. I have a 1187 built by JP and have never had a malfunction. Of course, I clean it after every use. The only problem with gas guns are they get dirty. Which means you have to keep them clean. If I had an M2 I would clean after every use also. Reliability is the whole key unless you are just slow and lethargic.

I do not know this for a fact but weak hand loading is probably easier with a M2 field with the upgraded feed gate. Is this true.

:)

I can't run a 26" long shotgun. I'm too small. Even the 22" one is a stretch for me.

Replacement barrels are fairly easy to find or you can have the barrel chopped and rethreaded. I was looking at a deal at Carlson`s, they'll cut the barrel, rethread it, and give you your choice of three new chokes for about $155

Note: I only know this because I'm in the process of getting a use shotgun and have been researching it.

Edited by Graham Smith

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 1100 that I picked up for a song at Wal Mart last year when it was mis-marked. I hadn't planned on getting that gun for 3-gun, but I couldn't pass it up. I have it set up, and really like it, but all of the reports of problems have me a little concerned. I don't shoot a lot of 3-gun, but I don't want to have a bunch of problems come match day. Are there known problem areas in the gun that can be upgraded / modified before they break, to keep problems to a minimum?

Sometimes I think there is my hype in this sport than there is in a Microsoft Road Show, someone throw me a tee shirt. I started shooting the 1100 remington in 1964, I shot many thousands of rounds thru it hunting in mexico etc and the only thing I ever replaced was the O-ring. I gave mine to one of my daughters and here husband has shot the snot out of it, still running. Knowing all this I went stupid and bought an FN SLP MK II, I listened to all the BS Hype, don't get me wrong its a great gun but it is heavier than the 1100 and I think that I could drive a 1100 faster, I've won a couple local 3-Guns and one Semi major and the FN got triple shot at one match by me and two shooters who's benellis craped out, they liked it. I say stick with the 1100 if it craps out on you then divorce it. The Benelli seems to have more recoil than either and I've seen more of them take a dirt knap at matches than 1100's.

Ain't no pro.... but I shot an 1100/1187 for quite a few years (Sportsman's Team Challenge and 3 gun), and the main problem was the "tuning fork" bolt carrier to mainspring link (broke 4 or 5 over the years). When the receiver "ways" get a little wear, the link can flex and break. Carry a link and an extra extractor (broken several) to matches. The 1187 extractor is a lot thicker than the 1100, don't know why Remington didn't use this as the basis for their competition models. I've broken several of the older gas rings, but not the new one piece one. If you try to make a 21inch gun by cutting down a longer barrel, I would suggest you weld the "expanding ring" ports closed and meter gas with the other ports. The 21inch 1187 barrel doesn't have the adjustable gas ring. If your buddies try to intimidate your 1100 by shooting a lot of slug matches, there is a heavier action bar, but might not be reliable with lighter loads. I had problems with the add on loading guide/bolt release gizmos, ended up with a longer competition bolt release on my remaining 26inch vent rib skeet gun, which I spent considerable time cutting down the Trap B stock to shoot point of aim for me... regards Les

I can't run a 26" long shotgun. I'm too small. Even the 22" one is a stretch for me.

I'm not sure what you mean. Barrel length has nothing to do with length of pull.

I'm very short and don't mind long-barreled guns if the stock is short. So, a 20ga youth gun with a long bird barrel fits me fine but an 18" riot gun with a standard stock feels too big and fits me poorly.

Adjustable stocks such as those on ARs make life easy, but those don't always fit on shotguns.

I cut my 870 stock down to an 11 3/4" LOP. My SX2 is currently too long for me to be comfortable, but I plan on cutting that one a bit too. It looks like I can trim about 1/2" - 3/4" from the stock itself and fit a pad that's shorter by about 1/2". I can't go much shorter than that unless I want to start hacking apart the action spring and tube.

It really has nothing to do with length of pull. It has to do with the weigh balance and swinging that massive barrel. Running a 26" shotgun or longer sucks for me.

I found another 22" Compmaster just like the one that got stolen and replaced it. Maybe I'm resistant to change, afraid of 922r, or just cheap, but my old one ran fine and so I'll be running this one for a few years.

Ah, OK, I understand what you're saying.

Have you considered buying something that's everything that you want except barrel length, and having the barrel cut and rethreaded?

Also, another user, I think 00bullitt, runs an SX3 and has made several posts about the weight, especially compared to its SLP cousin.

I already scored another 1100 from a friend. I still haven't got my insurance money for the theft, either. They're trying to screw me out of 21% of my old gun's value by "depreciating" it, unless I buy another gun. I guess they seem to think that "replacement cost" doesn't really mean "replacement cost" unless one buys another gun of equal or greater value.

Fortunately I'm buying an open gun soon so the "replacement" will have no problem exceeding the value of my old gun. I just find it shocking and shameful that my insurance company is trying to screw me over after I paid my premiums for years without a claim. It's amazing how they treat the victim of a theft like a criminal when their only job is to collect documents and send a check.

They act like I'm trying to "make money" off of my insurance policy, when in reality, I'm just trying to minimize the sense of loss that I have from having someone steal my property.

Thank God I lost something that is somewhat easy to replace, rather than a customized gun which would have been a disaster, especially if purchased used.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran an 1100 and then 1187 before buying my SLP this passed Christmas. Overall, the action on the Remmy is just a little out of date. It was innovative when it was produced, but having to constantly replace O-Rings and the the connector "fork" between the buffer and bolt just made the weapon overall undesirable. Furthermore, the weapon gets excessively dirty do to the gas system. Maybe it's just me, but my SLP doesn't get nearly as bad. Also, the loading gate on the 1100 series makes it a much slower loader (unless you mod it). So those are a few things which separate out the Remmy's...although, I still don't mind em. Also, +1 to the above post referencing cutting down the barrel on a longer model M2/SX3/SX2 or whatever other models you are considering...there are some users on here who will do it for cheap.

Also, I have had way better luck with SLP's in terms of reliability than the Remmy's.

Hope this helps :cheers:

One other thing that convinced me to wait on the upgrade was a recent conversation with one of my local gun shop owners. He is typically a very straight shooter so I'll give hime the benefit of the doubt here. He informed me that Remington would be coming out with a new auto loading shotgun to replace the 11-87 sometime in late 2010 or early 2011 that will be like nothing we've ever seen from Remington. It's supposed to cycle 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 with some significantly better recoil reduction than your typical gas operated autoloader. :blink: Time will tell if he knew what he was talking about or not. :rolleyes:

Saw this on firearm blog this week, the new Remington Vera Max

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/05/remingtons-new-vera-max-shotgun-and-versaport-gas-system/