Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon equipment prefer certain primer?

I have heard a few times over the years that Dillon equipment was picky about which primer it was fed.

I happen to use CCI stuff, since that's pretty much the only primer the locals stock, but was told CCI was one of the worst.

I have never been given any reason as to WHY a certain primer was preferred over any other... It has just been repeated enough times to come in here and ask.

I have no Dillon experience, but am very seriously considering click the purchase button on a 650 soon.

TIA

Edited by CharlieHo

Until the most recent primer shortages, I had run Winchester almost all the time. Recently, however, my 550 has seen Winchester, CCI, Fiocchi, and Federal with equally good results. I do like Winchester, but will not hesitate to use what ever I can find at a good price point, right now it is Fiocchi SRP.

As far as MY 550b is concerned that is totally bogus. It loads any primer just fine. Wolf, Win, Fed, CCI have all been through my machine.

By the way, Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Sarge

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Long time lurker, but just joined.

I figured the info I got was either bogus, or based on one person's bad experience that snowballed into some myth.

I have several thousand CCi primers in various styles, and 1000 Federal LPP or LRP ( I forget which one).

I'm plasnning on stocking up on more primers now that they seem to be more readily available, and really wanted to know if the CCIs would be GTG in a Dillon if I happen to purchase in the near future.

Thanks again.

I've heard people say that their gun runs better with one type of primer or another, but I hadn't heard it about the Dillon.

My 550 has loaded >20K rounds with Winchester, Federal (regular & match), CCI, and Fiocchi. When/if there have been problems, it's been due to the primer slide being dirty, not traveling trough the full cycle distance, or the little plastic nib inside the primer feed tube working loose ... nothing due to the type of primer.

If you run into a problem, contact Dillon. Whatever you encounter, they've heard/seen it before and they can help you resolve it very quickly.

Welcome aboard!

I hate to 'feed' the myth, but have to say, that ever since winchester switched to thier more sensitive primers(bronze color) i've had nuttin but probs with them, have to run a 9mm case guage on top ofthe primer magazine follower to get em to feed, CCI and Fed.??? not a problem, does that mean i dont shoot win. anymore??? hell no???? if i can find em I'll load an shoot em

@ Cali, didn't you use to put a piece of brass also? You had this problem for some time now, I remember your post!

@Charlie, I use CCI lpp and Win lpp and has no problem on my 550 and if their is a problem its usually cause right where the primer tube is it is dirty and I Fix it by taking the primer tube apart and wiping it down with alcohol wipes and presto I'm back in the mixx! Any hooo, welcome and take the "Blue Pill" already! You won't regret it!

I need to slip this one past the wifey. I just sold off one of my trucks, and mentioned a new press. She reminded me of the new basement bathroom I've been meaning to install... :angry2:

Of course, she doesn't know about the year-end bonus from work I'm supposed to get here in a few weeks :devil:

I need to slip this one past the wifey. I just sold off one of my trucks, and mentioned a new press. She reminded me of the new basement bathroom I've been meaning to install... :angry2:

Of course, she doesn't know about the year-end bonus from work I'm supposed to get here in a few weeks :devil:

YIKES! Someone is in trouble. LOL... Just tell her your looking at some ideas on the net to make it look good for the hunnybunny, Lol! You should have just got the machine and brought in one piece at a time, and steave up the street is moving and has no space for it so he gave it to you for a few bucks! Lol.... As your holding a fresh open dillon box with that new car smell. Standing over the plastic the pieces came in! Lol...

Markaveli, I read where you can use a piece of brass, couple of washers taped together etc i had a case guage layin around and it fit, and it now lives on top of the follower...all I know is that I have more probs with win. than I do with anything else, with more than 250k on my particular 550b i think its developed little quirks in loading, main thing with primers is keeping the primer bar area CLEAN, lil powdered qraphite doesnt hurt either, and pull the magazine tube every so often to check the tip lips to be sure they are still able to hold the primers correctly, thats pretty much half the battle for smooth operation

When I first started reloading 3 years ago I started with CCI small pistol primers (9 & 40). I had a fair number of the primers that would catch the lip of the primer when seating and they would turn sideways before getting jammed into the primer pocket. The primers were properly positioned prior to the seating stroke. I switched to Winchester and the problem went away. From looking at the primers it appears (to me, anyway) that the CCI primers flare outward a little more than the Winchester and I attributed the flipping sideways to that.

To be honest, I was just starting so I may have been doing several other things wrong at the time, too, so take my experience with a pound of salt. I have not gone back and tried CCI since.

Editted to add: Dillon 550. Since switching from CCI, i have used Winchester, Federal, Remington, and Magtech with no problems. I have loaded them with no problems in .223, .380, .38 SPL, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, and .45.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Markaveli, I read where you can use a piece of brass, couple of washers taped together etc i had a case guage layin around and it fit, and it now lives on top of the follower...all I know is that I have more probs with win. than I do with anything else, with more than 250k on my particular 550b i think its developed little quirks in loading, main thing with primers is keeping the primer bar area CLEAN, lil powdered qraphite doesnt hurt either, and pull the magazine tube every so often to check the tip lips to be sure they are still able to hold the primers correctly, thats pretty much half the battle for smooth operation

Half the battle!??? Whow... Y haven't you sent your press in? Ya I know I wouldn't know what to do with my time neither, probably pull out the yarn and needle with the misses, or buy a second press and send out the one that might need repairs! Doesn't Dillon have a "where you send it in and they would clean it up and oil it back to par ?" How long have you had your 550 and how long has it been doing this? I just ordered my dies for my .40 cal's and just wondering what I might come across when I start loading!

When I first started reloading 3 years ago I started with CCI small pistol primers (9 & 40). I had a fair number of the primers that would catch the lip of the primer when seating and they would turn sideways before getting jammed into the primer pocket. The primers were properly positioned prior to the seating stroke. I switched to Winchester and the problem went away. From looking at the primers it appears (to me, anyway) that the CCI primers flare outward a little more than the Winchester and I attributed the flipping sideways to that.

To be honest, I was just starting so I may have been doing several other things wrong at the time, too, so take my experience with a pound of salt. I have not gone back and tried CCI since.

Editted to add: Dillon 550. Since switching from CCI, i have used Winchester, Federal, Remington, and Magtech with no problems. I have loaded them with no problems in .223, .380, .38 SPL, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, and .45.

Just curious what where you doing wrong? (I'm a newbee) I like cci and used win but just not too fond not saying I won't use em if they are cheap and or at a good price ill take em!

Just curious what where you doing wrong? (I'm a newbee) I like cci and used win but just not too fond not saying I won't use em if they are cheap and or at a good price ill take em!

Markaveli, I had a second press, was going to swap it out and send in the old one for a refurbish, but a newbie reloader offered me a wad of cash for the new one, and I had bills to pay....sooooo off it went, I've had the same press since early 1990??? in 93 i loaded well over 30k on it in that one year alone, and dont worry if win. primers are crap??? because i will state emphatically they are NOT, my press just seems to have minor 'issues' in loading em, is it annoying??? yes, will it keep me from buyin win. primers when i see em??? NO

Dillon has a wonderful 'no BS' policy on their equipment, and as soon as i hit a 'lull' in reloading i'll send it on in

also on this great forums, there is morethan a few threads based on people who have had probs w/ their dillon equipment, so those who have problems dont suffer in silence hehehe lots of tips and tricks to help keep the press and such running

I don't know *what* I might have been doing wrong or *if* I was even doing anything wrong. I meant that it was when I was first getting started so I don't know that I wasn't *possibly* doing something wrong. Clear as mud?

I used both CCI and Winchester without any issues. I prefer Winchester it's just my preference. If you do "Click" make sure it's from BrianEnos.com. Great guy! You can't go wrong with Dillon NO B.S. warranty.

Edited by Dodgethis!

I used both CCI and Winchester without any issues. I prefer Winchester it's just my preference. If you do "Click" make sure it's from BrianEnos.com. Great guy! You can't go wrong with Dillon NO B.S. warranty.

+1 @ Dodgethis, He (Brian E.)Is like Dillon's no bs ing warranty!call em!

I have heard a few times over the years that Dillon equipment was picky about which primer it was fed.

I happen to use CCI stuff, since that's pretty much the only primer the locals stock, but was told CCI was one of the worst.

I have never been given any reason as to WHY a certain primer was preferred over any other... It has just been repeated enough times to come in here and ask.

I have no Dillon experience, but am very seriously considering click the purchase button on a 650 soon.

TIA

I have used Federal, Winchester, Remington and CCI primers in my Dillon 550 without any problems.

Going back to the original question, this is really something you should ask Dillon. I would expect that if Dillon had an opinion/recommendation, that BE would know and have it posted in the FAQ section or somewhere (I am new).

I know in the Lee book he states that Federal primers detonate and shatter equipment, CCI and Winchester are more gentle in a primer chain reaction. I would be more worried about the hand primers blowing up than the progressive press since the primer being loaded is a lot closer to all the other primers with the hand priming tool, but I haven't read about one going off on someone.

I know that I have had rare problems with Fed primers in my 1050s that I haven't seen with other brands—the rare sideways-seated and crushed primer. In my Hornady L-N-L I have had the rare problem with CCI primers. However, both could be more lot related than brand related or even just the phase of the moon.

I've used Win, Wolfe, Federal, Remington and CCI on my 550b. I had problems with 20 year old CCI's. The new CCI's I've used and all these other brands run flawlessly.

Interesting you heard CCI was the worst. I have the best results with CCI. Compared to others they are more consistent.

My 650 doesn't like Winchesters because they are often out of round. I went back to exclusively CCI.

I've had some rejects (just over 1%) loading CCI primers (SPM and SP) in my 650. The primer cup will seat, but part of the cup will tear away. It would seem to stem from some small dimensional variation of the primer or perhaps the primer pocket. I've had it happen with Federal and Winchester brass.