Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun scopes?

mwx40x40

I know there has been plenty of discussion on Tact Optics set-ups and preferences, but what are the Open gunners running and how are they sighted in? Wondering if Open gunners run higher magnification scopes since they usually run a red dot on an off set mount for close stuff.

I know there has been plenty of discussion on Tact Optics set-ups and preferences, but what are the Open gunners running and how are they sighted in? Wondering if Open gunners run higher magnification scopes since they usually run a red dot on an off set mount for close stuff.

Higher mag gives you a problem with field of view. For example, a GOOD 14x may have a 6-8 ft fov AT 100 YARDS! (probably less), not helpful when shooting one target most want the next target to be in the scope if at all possible, plus it probably will increase the actual time to "get on target" with the narrower fov. (can you say prarie dogging?)

I think you will find most open shooters using 4-8x, maybe a very small percentage using a 10x, because of fov.

The offset reddot is usually present with most open shooters.

personally, I use a 1.5-8x with the largest fov I could find (Valdata), and a offset reddot.

jj

Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T (my tac scope optic) and a Leupold delatpoint.

FYI most of the (good) European IPSC Open rifle shooters seem to run just one optic, usually a Swarovski or Zeiss low powered variable.

I would think a good 1-4, Swaro 1-6 or S&B 1-8 would be much better than running two optics. I'm planning a move from Tac Optics to Open in the near future (if I can find a pistol) and am planning to run one of the above. Less of a learning curve than having two optics to worry about.