Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why so few rifle matches?

Hey Mike

Don't be afraid to put the match on a holiday weekend to ease the travel burden for out of towners. I had a good time at the Corpus Christi match last winter and I would love to attend yours (and only miss one day of work hopefully) as well. I can't wait for the match details.

Edited by Truegent2004

Hey Mike

Don't be afraid to put the match on a holiday weekend to ease the travel burden for out of towners. I had a good time at the Corpus Christi match last winter abnd I would love to attend yours (and only miss one day of work hopefully) as well. I can't wait for the match details.

+1 on the date.

But you guys should have open class. There is no real need for Tactical division if it is a rifle-only match.

Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship

This is a GREAT match, put on by some really good folks!

Check it out...... http://www.scssa.org/new_page_3.htm

THG :cheers:

I'd like to know when the next one is. I didn't know if there would be another one this year.

According to the schedule I aee the next one as October 30.

Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship

This is a GREAT match, put on by some really good folks!

Check it out...... http://www.scssa.org/new_page_3.htm

THG :cheers:

I'd like to know when the next one is. I didn't know if there would be another one this year.

Steel City is usually in months with 5 saturdays, they shoot on the 5th saturday. I belive that there is a lot of stuff that goes on at Steel City on the various saturdays thats why its only in months with a 5th.

I believe that they will have a match on October 30th.

Mr Tapp puts on a great match.

Edited by Outsydlooknin75

It seems like the two current mini-major rifle matches, Steel City & Texas Carbine are not quite big enough for the 2-3 day format where you would be willing to travel a long distance and spend $1k+ to attend.

I shot Texas Carbine this year and flew into corpus the night before and flew out after the match. I had to spend about $650 in flights, ammo, hotel, and food for 10 stages. I didn't have to miss any work either. That was for ten stages with only 100 yards of long range, 1 stage of 50 yard shooting and 8 stages of CQB pistol type stages. I think that the match was just big enough for that much of my time/money.

I am anticipating that Trapr, Kurt, and Mike will make their match a true major that has enough long range and quantity of shooting to bring the best shooters from all over the country. Just like the High Plains Shotgun Challenge.

Edited by jtischauser

I am anticipating that Trapr, Kurt, and Mike will make their match a true major that has enough long range and quantity of shooting to bring the best shooters from all over the country. Just like the High Plains Shotgun Challenge.

There will have to be different stages for the long range, given that rimfire is being allowed.

I don't see them letting the cat out of the bag on stages just yet.

Jesse,

The youtube link is from the shotgun match.

Dan,

You didn't make it past the intro page. Its all rifle after 5 seconds.

Maybe Youtube messed up. This time it's rifle, the first time I tried it, it came up High Plains Challenge, and you were shooting a Benelli.

Stupid computers! :roflol:

I like the comment you made on the first stage....

Edited by Dan Sierpina

It seems like the two current mini-major rifle matches, Steel City & Texas Carbine are not quite big enough for the 2-3 day format where you would be willing to travel a long distance and spend $1k+ to attend.

I shot Texas Carbine this year and flew into corpus the night before and flew out after the match. I had to spend about $650 in flights, ammo, hotel, and food for 10 stages. I didn't have to miss any work either. That was for ten stages with only 100 yards of long range, 1 stage of 50 yard shooting and 8 stages of CQB pistol type stages. I think that the match was just big enough for that much of my time/money.

Just as an fyi the Steel City match had 1 stage with shots out to 300, one stage with shots on small steel beyond 100 yards with a cool visual start, and another stage with shots around 100 combined in the same stage with targets from 5 yards to 50 yards...

As others have noted there is definite demand for this sort of match since we regularly sell out both days of this match.

As an aside one of the cool thing we have seen in running this match is the number of folks who are not normaly competitive shooters that come out to shoot this match. It seems to do a good job of drawing folks who aren't normaly involved.

Just as an fyi the Steel City match had 1 stage with shots out to 300, one stage with shots on small steel beyond 100 yards with a cool visual start, and another stage with shots around 100 combined in the same stage with targets from 5 yards to 50 yards...

As others have noted there is definite demand for this sort of match since we regularly sell out both days of this match.

As an aside one of the cool thing we have seen in running this match is the number of folks who are not normaly competitive shooters that come out to shoot this match. It seems to do a good job of drawing folks who aren't normaly involved.

Good to know! I didn't follow the Steel City match that closely. I will definately be watching for it for next year.

Edited by jtischauser

I shot the Steel City Tactical Carbine Match this year. It was my first rifle match. I would like to shoot at least one major rifle match a year. I will be looking hard at the OKC match mentioned earlier. I would love to see a rifle only match at PASA Park in Quincy, Il. Seems like it would be a great facility for a rifle match, and it is less than 2 hours from me.

The Steel City Carbine match has sold out the last two years running with large prize tables both Sat and Sunday.

(See the string in multi gun for more info).

The challenege is you have to have enough long to med bays ( many clubs have only 1 long rifle bay).

Takes a lot of time to set up ( I thnk David Tapp takes a week to set up the big match at Steel City).

Cost of ammo.

That being said, people came from all over the country to Birmingham Alabam to shoot the match and sold it out a few weeks before the match date even in this ecomony so their is a demand.

At my home club, we do 4 pistol stages for the monthly IPSC match, then shoot 2 rifle stages seperately.

Some people come to shoot only pistol, most shoot both, and one or two come later to shoot only rifle.

Robert L2723