Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cnote

I have a factory 1911 with the factor firing pin in it. I like the trigger and spring set-up as is but I am having some light primer strikes with the Wolf primers being used (Due to the 2009/10 shortage) All other brands of primers ignite regularly.

Any suggestions on a drop in extended firing pin for a 1911 as a solution to the problem??

or am I off base?

I am being careful to seat the primers properly

I've put the M2i (Matt McLearn) extended firing pin in about half a dozen 1911/2011s and haven't had any issues.

What exact model gun is your 1911? Some .45s are now made with a 9/.38 firing pin rather than the traditional, larger firing pin. R,

I've put the M2i (Matt McLearn) extended firing pin in about half a dozen 1911/2011s and haven't had any issues.

What exact model gun is your 1911? Some .45s are now made with a 9/.38 firing pin rather than the traditional, larger firing pin. R,

.45 Kimber Gold Match,(but not the series II) bought about 10 years ago

I was looking at the M2i, as I will be placing an order with Angus Hobdel in the near future, and he carries their parts

Is it drop in, no smithing necessary?

Edited by cnote

I agree with Chris about Matt's firing pins. They are outstanding. I have three of them. I had some Coast Guard surplus ammo that had very hard primers. I had several light strikes. Put in Matt's pin and no problem.

I reload with what ever primer is available, CCI, Wolf, Magtech etc. I have not had a light primer strike since using Matt's pins.

The Lim Cat XL firing pin is the only FP I use in the shop. It will give positive ignition with any primer and will keep the FP hole clear from any primer flow.

Rich

I have a factory 1911 with the factor firing pin in it. I like the trigger and spring set-up as is but I am having some light primer strikes with the Wolf primers being used (Due to the 2009/10 shortage) All other brands of primers ignite regularly.

Any suggestions on a drop in extended firing pin for a 1911 as a solution to the problem??

or am I off base?

Some manufacturers use titanium firing pins. If that's what you have, just replace it with a steel pin.

No reason you should need an overlength pin.

The Lim Cat XL firing pin is the only FP I use in the shop. It will give positive ignition with any primer and will keep the FP hole clear from any primer flow.

Rich

Rich,

It will work for .45?

thanks

The Lim Cat is a small diameter firing pin, there are a couple of companies that use a small diameter for their 45 slides you will have to check to see what you have.

Rich

What would be the results of using an extended small diameter firing pin (.06) in a .45 rather than the large (.09) that it came with?

Would it just not function reliably

or would something not be safe?

What would be the results of using an extended small diameter firing pin (.06) in a .45 rather than the large (.09) that it came with?

Would it just not function reliably

or would something not be safe?

You would likely get primer material flowing around the pin and plug up the firing pin tunnel....bad idea. R,

or am I off base?

I use thr extended pin with wolf and federals with no problems