Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Vibes Around Here

Shooter Grrl

Yo people - you're turning my favorite place on earth to someplace I don't wanna go anymore :angry:

May I suggest we all sit back and reflect for a moment on what THE forum has brought to our lives... and shelf the negativity and return to learning and exchanging GOOD ideas with each other?

I for one would really like that :wub:

Oh jeez... maybe I'm taking it too personally (I am a Grrl ya know) BUT, what's bugging me is the polls, discussions and rants about the Hate forum and taking forums out.

I LIKE THIS PLACE THE WAY IT IS. I'm open to change but only if it's to add more forums cause we've got more people involved that have more interests than what we're covering now.

I long ago cast MY vote for "no change it, man.." and am just waiting for the dust to settle. I concur that the Hate Forum "issue" got a little, uh, overextended...... Let's just carry on and do our occasional 'rants' and move along. Moreover, we've got a Friday Flamer to look forward to (oh, God!!) and who knows what THAT will bring...!! :P

I've been avoiding the discussions of changes.

I am a bit irritated by some of the seemingly arbitrary and capricious deletion and closing of various topics, though. It seems to be happening a lot more in the last few weeks than it did the first few months I was here.

I realize the people who own these things can run them any way they want, but heavy handed moderating is the kind of thing that can ruin an online forum very quickly.

Maybe it's all just growing pains. I can remember when there were only 50 users, now how many do we have??

We also must remember that this is BE forums, and we should respect what "rules" he has laid out for us. Now if we were paying for the use of the forums we might have a little more say. Hard to beat the price that BE charges.

I like civil, inteligent debate/conversations about varied topics. So when I got scalded for posting a rebutal about someones rant I thought it would be funny to start a rant about no being able to post regarding the rant someone had. I was venting..... :rolleyes:

The part that I think is strange is that some rules are arbitrarily enforced. Paul got chastised for responding to someone else's hate rant and decided to start a hate rant of his own to express his displeasure. Then he was chastised for starting an unpopular rant. Are these Rants "free speech" (as was alluded to Paul in the first instance) or not? If Paul can't rebut someone else's rant why can others rebut his? It sometimes looks as if the enforcement depends more on "Who" is ranting and not the rant itself.

I am in total agreement that these forums are BE's and he has the right to implement any rules that he wants. All I ask is that the rules be enforced equally and fairly, regardless of who is involved.

Leo

The part that I think is strange is that some rules are arbitrarily enforced.

Leo,

I think this is more a "moderators are humans too" incident than arbitrarily enforcing only certain rules.

And for the record, I am the mod that split out PaulW's rant from Jake's post... after it appeared, to me at least, that he was getting a bit put out by the responses. As a HUMAN moderator, I had to make that choice, and I stick by it, still.

For the record, IF you feel you have been "moderated unfairly", just PM the moderator. I know that I'll gladly answer any questions and have no problem explaining why I felt the action was needed.

I am a bit irritated by some of the seemingly arbitrary and capricious deletion and closing of various topics, though. It seems to be happening a lot more in the last few weeks than it did the first few months I was here.

I realize the people who own these things can run them any way they want, but heavy handed moderating is the kind of thing that can ruin an online forum very quickly.

Rhino,

Feel free to go play in someone else's sandbox if that's the way you feel.

Better yet, start your own forums!

I really hope those comments were a result of the weird vibes we're discussing.

By "irritated" I mean that I noticed it and it was a concern to me, not that I was angry and trying to make some kind of demands.

If it was really the way it sounded, I hope everyone else who shares or expresses the same opinion will also be invited to leave. That would only be fair. :P

Good grief, ya don't recognize sarcasm when it's dished back atya?????

:ph34r:

Oh! Sorry ... I'm really sorry.

I'm a bit sensitive to online things right now.

I blame the WEIRD VIBES!

Actually, the irony of me taking something too seriously when it was said in jest is kind of ... ironic. ;)

Kath,

I was composing a post very similar to Paul's post when I saw the the flames start coming at him. I have no problem with your splitting off the topic and giving him his own rant, since this was consistent with the determination that a rant should not be rebutted or argued. However, people came after him on his own rant forum in contradiction to the determination!

I have had no situation where I have been bullied or abused (by moderators or anyone else) and feel that I could communicate my concers to Brian or Kyle if I did.

Leo

Kath-O-My-Heart...

You have to be careful with ole Rhino...he's having some trouble perfecting his PANTS-CAM, and you have no idea of what it's like to have a Runaway Zipper!

I'M JOKING! I'M JOKING! Don't shoot!

Michael B

PS: Did you see Uma Thurman on the Golden Globes? A vision, I tell you...a vision.