Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Videos from yesterday - Critique welcome

CZinSC

Videos taken of me from July 3rd match. Background: Shooting for one year, Production, currently C. Looking for critque on form, draw, etc.

First stage notes: third array was shooting 4 paper with no shoot overlaps through a port about 4 feet high. Trying to save time I opted to not get up on the port and take the shots further back. After shooting 2 NS's on the first target, I tried to slow down, plus I wasn't in the best spot, so the little half steps hurt too. 105 pts out of 130, -30 pentalty, 31.1 secs

Second state - 22 rounds, you'll see two reloads. Since I shoot production, i was going to need to do two reloads no matter what. After the first arrays when I left the box, I was in slide lock, so I reloaded and took the the middle target dead center, since it was the only good spot I thought to shoot from. I then did the second reload right away so i wouldn't have to do a standing reload in second box, since there were 9 shots left. There were two steal plates. Far left one had to be shot from far left box, far right plate from right box. All other targets were shoot as they became visible. 100/110, -0, 23.82secs

Third stage - right side mirrored left side. In the far ports, there were two paper and two poppers, big in front of small one. Idea was to shoot paper, big popper, paper, small. As you can tell from the cadence, I brain farted on the right side, shot both papers first, then had to wait for the big popper to fall to expose small. On left side, did it correctly. Same brain fart on the back arrays. Shot left side as planned, shot right side out of order. Should have worked outside to in like i did on the left side, caused me to wait for the swinger. 131/150, -10, 34.4 secs

Fourth stage - shot as planned. 8 rounds(3 paper-2 poppers), 8 rounds(3 paper-2 plates), 8 rounds(3 paper-2 poppers). 108/120, -10, 27.09 secs

And thank you Heckler for doing the filming!

Looks like pretty good basics. You have tall man syndrome like me, we don't like to get low which means more knee flex. I couldn't see much of your grip, but it wouldn't hurt to have a local GM examine it, just to be sure you're good to go. Speed will come with experience.

Looks like pretty good basics. You have tall man syndrome like me, we don't like to get low which means more knee flex. I couldn't see much of your grip, but it wouldn't hurt to have a local GM examine it, just to be sure you're good to go. Speed will come with experience.

Probably a good thing you can't see the grip. :blush: That is probably the biggest thing I'm unhappy with right now. I've been working on it at the range, but I need to dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

I noticed that every moving target (swinger or clam shell) you took three shots with quicker than normal splits. I am guessing you are doing what I see a lot of newer shooters doing...firing three shots at it hoping to get two hits. Learn how to shoot two aimed shots at these things. I had to build my own swinger to use for practice but it pays off in the end. Really they are just like any other target aim, prep, squeeze.

Good luck!

Take a look at your draws with movement. You should be able to have the gun up and ready to fire with the amount of steps you get to take. When the buzzer goes off get the draw and the movement done asap.

Try to get the gun up in front of your face before you get into position. When you do your stage prep remember you have to take speed off so you can be stable to shoot. I like to get the gun up and ready a step or two before I need to fire.

If you can keep your elbows up a little more when you are firing it will help with the recoil. You have your elbows low this can cause the gun to bounce around making follow up shots a little slow.

Try to get your reload done at the beginning of your movement.

I noticed that every moving target (swinger or clam shell) you took three shots with quicker than normal splits. I am guessing you are doing what I see a lot of newer shooters doing...firing three shots at it hoping to get two hits. Learn how to shoot two aimed shots at these things. I had to build my own swinger to use for practice but it pays off in the end. Really they are just like any other target aim, prep, squeeze.

Good luck!

Good point. I also set up a swinger on my property to practice with. Now when I see a swinger it tends to look like it's in slow motion.

I noticed that every moving target (swinger or clam shell) you took three shots with quicker than normal splits. I am guessing you are doing what I see a lot of newer shooters doing...firing three shots at it hoping to get two hits.

I normally don't do this. No idea why i decided to shoot three at the movers yesterday. Thanks for pointing it out though, I'll need to make sure I don't keep doing this.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I can look at these videos over and over and still not see the things that those of you who have been doing this awhile can see right away.

Take a look at your draws with movement. You should be able to have the gun up and ready to fire with the amount of steps you get to take. When the buzzer goes off get the draw and the movement done asap.

Try to get your reload done at the beginning of your movement.

These are good observations. I will expand if I may. When possible push off with the strong side leg. If you push off with the weak side, your holster won't be where you want it :) . I like to be shooting on approach and take-off. Just check (game) your shooting positions to see what targets can be had coming and going.

On the reloads, turn the gun so you can see most of the magwell. Your reload is vertical. Practice getting it horizontal. Watch the mag in.

You didn't post video of the classifier, but I noticed several people on my squad with an extremely slow draw. Just because the target is at 25 yards doesn't mean it should take any less time to get the gun on target. Your first shot may be slower because it requires a better sight picture, but that has nothing to do with the draw.

You didn't post video of the classifier, but I noticed several people on my squad with an extremely slow draw. Just because the target is at 25 yards doesn't mean it should take any less time to get the gun on target. Your first shot may be slower because it requires a better sight picture, but that has nothing to do with the draw.

I missed filming that one. By the time i was up, I realized the camera was in the range bag and I didn't feel like digging for it while others waited for me, so i just skipped it.

I wish I had though because I can remember "stabbing" at least twice ( at least i didn't shoot, but it cost be a lot of seconds ).

You need to think about performing actions that minimize time. In the first video you turned the middle section of the stage into 6 different "Setups" instead of two stationary positions or one shooting on the move position. Every time you have an extra "Setup" for a shooting position it takes time. Since this game is ALL about doing things in a minimal amount of time, your number one goal should be thinking of ways to reduce the wasting of time during the stage run. It probably would have been faster for you to run up closer to the targets picking a single shooting position to engage all three targets on each side. The only way your plan of shooting the middle section of that stage would have worked is if you were moving slowly as you were shooting both sections so you could engage the targets in a seamless string of shots. Doing this effectively is probably beyond your current skill set so picking a more simple plan that is easier to shoot with less setups would probably work better for you.

You are a big dude and with this comes more than normal upper body and arm strength to manage recoil. This in effect allows you to have a fairly ineffective two handed grip but still be able to manage muzzle flip well. Your weak hand is just along for the ride and you are basically shooting the stages strong hand only. You really need to work on perfecting your weak hand grip so you can get a more consistent tracking of the front sight during and after the gun fires. Even though you may be able to shoot with your current grip method with fairly minimal muzzle flip you are still not able to take advantage of the mechanical Leverage a proper grip will give you. If you feel that you need to really bear down on the gun to control it while shooting that is the first alarm that should go off in your head telling you that your grip is wrong. When you use a proper thumbs forward two handed grip with your arms at the correct positions managing the recoil should be almost effortless. Having a proper grip is the foundation of being able to shoot not only fast but accurately, so don't sell yourself short on this skill.

It probably would have been faster for you to run up closer to the targets picking a single shooting position to engage all three targets on each side.

Agree with you 100%. Originally when I did the walk through I practiced at the port. Last minute changed my mind and tried to shoot them further away and save time. But as you noted, the way I did it took more time, and in the end, I hit the NS's, so i was really in the hole. Lesson learned for next time.

You really need to work on perfecting your weak hand grip so you can get a more consistent tracking of the front sight during and after the gun fires.

This is my new number one goal. I've noticed it myself, and having someone point it out only reinforces it. So thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head. I find it very hard to get my weak hand into a comfortable, REPEATABLE position. Last time when I practiced I started trying this. However shooting at the range is no substitute for dry firing and getting it down correctly. Going to really work on that the next few weeks before the next shoot.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Think about the order in which you engage targets. On stage 2, as you are moving toward the second barricade, you are facing 2 targets. Wouldn't it make more sense to start there and engage right to left. I think you lost time by taking the target on the left, and then turning back to the right to shoot that array.

Think about the order in which you engage targets. On stage 2, as you are moving toward the second barricade, you are facing 2 targets. Wouldn't it make more sense to start there and engage right to left. I think you lost time by taking the target on the left, and then turning back to the right to shoot that array.

Yep, looking back now it certainly makes more sense. :blush:

I need to be in your squad next time so you can impart these nuggets of wisdom to me.

IMO, one of the challenges of shooting production is being squadded with all Limited and Open shooters. ( very few Prod shooters at Spartanburg ) So it's hard to run a stage the same way they do. Sure, there are always things you can pull from what they do. But you're on your own when figuring out where to do your reloads and how to shoot it. One of my better days was when a GM Production shooter was in the squad. Following him around opened my eyes to a lot good alternatives.

I'll try and hook up with you next time I'm down there. I'll be shooting production (a CZ no less) for the rest of the year. I'm not a GM, but we can bounce ideas off of each other.