Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reshoot dilemma

ima45dv8

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the RO and I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Considering his catlike reflexes and my glacial reaction times, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Seriously, I take the blame for it.

I had it happen to me last week. It happens to the best of us :cheers:

I just finished helping our photographer put up pictures from our recent Level II match.

I remembered this thread when I saw this picture. I'm guessing this shooter got a reshoot.

RO doing the Hokey Pokey? That would have gotten a reshoot for sure in my book, no questions asked.

Joe W.

As an aside, that stage was particularly hard. All the stages for the match were deceptively simple, but that stage, in my opinion, was the hardest based on my current ability level. If I was the shooter, I would have probably declined the reshoot offered under 8.6.4 if I felt like that incident didn't significantly slow me down. (Of course, I also may have the unique perspective of having attempted that COF four times. There was REF on my first attempt when the stage was first setup back in Feb without any hard cover or no-shoots, to shake out the bugs. Then during the staff match a couple of weeks ago, there was REF with a completely different prop that was working reliably back in Feb. For each reshoot of my reshoots, the reshoot curse struck.)

Back on topic about reshoot dilemma, this weekend was the very first time I offered a shooter a reshoot because of an "external influence". As planned and trying to keep things moving along, people were scoring behind us while the shooter went through a 36 round course. Unfortunately, they were calling out the scores loudly enough that the shooter thought he heard "stop". He stopped and looked at me. I also initially thought I heard "stop" as well, but when the next thing I heard was "2 alpha" behind me, I knew both the shooter and I had misheard due to how loud his open gun was. When I realized that, I told the shooter "Keep going". (Yes, I know 8.6.1 says no communication, no timer waggling.) When he was done with his last 18 shots, I then offered him a reshoot which he accepted. I wasn't quite sure if I should have stopped him right there and automatically declared a reshoot.

(Any which way, my wonderful squad figured out how to get a jump on the scoring with "interfering" with the succeeding shooters.)

RO doing the Hokey Pokey? That would have gotten a reshoot for sure in my book, no questions asked.

Joe W.

You mean you would offer a re-shoot to the competitor, not force it on them, right? The "no questions asked" has me a little confused.

8.6.4 In the event that inadvertent contact from the Range Officer or another external influence has interfered with the competitor during a course of fire, the Range Officer may offer the competitor a reshoot of the course of fire. The competitor must accept or decline the offer prior to seeing either the time or the score from the initial attempt. However, in the event that the competitor commits a safety infraction during any such interference, the provisions of Section 10.3 may still apply.

Joe W.

You mean you would offer a re-shoot to the competitor, not force it on them, right? The "no questions asked" has me a little confused.

8.6.4 In the event that inadvertent contact from the Range Officer or another external influence has interfered with the competitor during a course of fire, the Range Officer may offer the competitor a reshoot of the course of fire. The competitor must accept or decline the offer prior to seeing either the time or the score from the initial attempt. However, in the event that the competitor commits a safety infraction during any such interference, the provisions of Section 10.3 may still apply.

LOL I ment that as if I were the shooter. If I were the RO I would gladly offer the reshoot before the time or score were made known to the shooter and let them make the call. :cheers:

Joe W.

Just released 1st hand RO camera footage...

I have tears running down my face and my sides hurt after that one. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

The only other thing I've gained from this thread is the confirmation that Bulldog fans are a bunch of whiners and bedwetters. :devil:

I have tears running down my face and my sides hurt after that one. roflol.gifroflol.gifroflol.gif

Me, too!

The only other thing I've gained from this thread is the confirmation that Bulldog fans are a bunch of whiners and bedwetters. devil.gif

What are you gripping about, Kent??? I'm the GA fan, who had to suffer having a someone from Auburn post a video that makes me look like the Alabama mascot! How messed up is that?!laugh.gif

In the Level 1 course, many/most? of the RMIs teach to run the shooter at arm's length. And this is good for a new RO as it reverses the natural tendency to be far away from people shooting guns. However, the first time you get backed over by a shooter or have to run a course which is partially or all retrograde you learn real fast to give the shooter a bit more distance.

Anyone who has done the RO gig in this sport for very long has been backed over a few times and chased back up range a lot of times. It's a fact of the sport.

Now if we can just figure out how to hook up a backup alarm on Mark we'll be good to go. ;)