Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IOR 1.5 x 8 CQB recticle

mike.45

Guys I have tried to find this answer in many ways, even by emailing IOR direct but they are being a little slow to get back to me - I am trying to find what length barrel the calibrated 62gn FMJ BDC is rated for, e.g is it set for a M4 barrel, 16, 18 or a 20 inch barrel.

Many thanks

Guys I have tried to find this answer in many ways, even by emailing IOR direct but they are being a little slow to get back to me - I am trying to find what length barrel the calibrated 62gn FMJ BDC is rated for, e.g is it set for a M4 barrel, 16, 18 or a 20 inch barrel.

Many thanks

Mikie,

I saw your post, soooo I called the importer here, who happens to be in Denver. (named Val, he will be at RM3G)

the reticle is calibrated to a military 62 gn bullet at 3100 fps out of a 20inch barrel. He also said if you buy here (sales pitch!) that you will save around $200, PLUS you get the rings for the 35mm tube included, saving another $140 or so...lemme know if you want one delivered to RM3G...

jj

The barrel length should not matter if you can get your load to the same FPS that the scope was calibrated with. 3100 FPS is the key. Can you safely get 3100 FPS out of a 16" barrel?

Edited by Jaxshooter

The barrel length should not matter if you can get your load to the same FPS that the scope was calibrated with. 3100 FPS is the key. Can you safely get 3100 FPS out of a 16" barrel?

that was kinda my thought too, but I just repeating what I was told by Val...

jj

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks JJ for making that call for me - at the moment I am borrowing the scope but based on using it I may well invest in one !

I will pass on the findings to my Oklahoma based, trusted and long suffering, custom ammo loader to start work on my reloads - poor guy, its a crappy job but I feed him enough beer to make it worth his while ! :cheers:

the reticle is calibrated to a military 62 gn bullet at 3100 fps out of a 20inch barrel.

I have never really understood the idea of a reticle calibrated to a particular round. For one thing, a lot of the "military surplus" 5.56 62gr FMJ are closer to 3000fps than 3100. Add to that the fact that twist rate has a big effect once you get past a couple hundred yards. And lastly, the BC for 62gr bullets varies a whole lot which effects trajectory as well.

IOW, how can a reticle be calibrated unless you have the full spec on the round it was calibrated with?

the reticle is calibrated to a military 62 gn bullet at 3100 fps out of a 20inch barrel.

I have never really understood the idea of a reticle calibrated to a particular round. For one thing, a lot of the "military surplus" 5.56 62gr FMJ are closer to 3000fps than 3100. Add to that the fact that twist rate has a big effect once you get past a couple hundred yards. And lastly, the BC for 62gr bullets varies a whole lot which effects trajectory as well.

IOW, how can a reticle be calibrated unless you have the full spec on the round it was calibrated with?

Its close enough. What are you trying to hit. Find out where your reticle hits with the load you chose and adjust it so it matches you load as close as possible. The low velocity reticle I have on my Nightforce 2.5-10 is 6.6 inches off at 500 yards. I know that so I aim just a bit higher. What is the big deal? Plus how does spin effect the load. Your bullet is either stabilized or its not. At least that is my understanding.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I shot some Hornady 75 and Ultramax 68 at 300 yards-measured - using the 300 hash mark. All hits were on the 8 in square paper. There was a wind at my back. The rifle was an 18 inch JP. I will test the 400 yard hash mark next time out. So far I like this scope a lot, it should be great for 3 Gun matches.

I have an older IOR 1.1x-4x with a mil BDC reticle. A couple of years ago, my friend bought the 1.5x-8x and I called Valdada twice to ask what velocity and scope height was used for the BDC. Each time I talked with someone different and got different answers. I wish this info was posted on their website but the truth is that it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference for our game assuming we are shooting at larue size targets at a max of 500 yards. If you were trying to hit the 10 ring at further distances, then it matters but you probably should be using a different scope for that game.

With that said, I'd prefer a mil BDC over one calibrated for a specific load. It makes the math easier if you want to use a different bullet, velocity, and zero distance.

Can anyone advise how daytime-visible IOR's illuminated reticles are? Thanks!

They are not visible enough to use as you would an Aimpoint. They are however helpful in lower light situations, for instance if you shoot the long range stage late in the day, like at Ft. Benning for instance.

Overcast day in the UK and it was raining with dark clouds, turned it on and looked down it and figured the battery was dead - nope just no illumination to speak off unless it is getting very dark. In normal daylight you will not see it.

I am using a 55 grain Montana Gold at 3060 out of an 18 inch barrel. Using the reticle in my 1.5 X 8 IOR.

If I zero at 200 yards, I am 2", high at 300, 1.3 inch high at 400, 1.2 low at 500, and 6.7 low at 600.

I have verified out to 500. The best I can do, even from a good rest is + or -, but a 5 " group at 500 yards was my best.

The illumination is only good for indoors, twilight or dark .

I have only used it once at a match , It was a dark and stormy day.

That is about the ezact fps I am getting out of XM193 out of a 16 inch barrel but of course the bullet weight is 55.

I saw this scope at SHOT and had I saw it when I was more flush, I would have bought one. Glass is great. Reticle is spot on for competition.

I have been using this scope with a big horseshoe for 1 year now for 3-gunning events. Two thumbs up!

During the year there have been lessons learned, these include:

- The lighted reticle works well in low-light conditions or night however it washes out with sun.

- I have learned to use the horseshoe for indexing and engaging targets at close range. On one of the lower powers (1.5-4)I use the horse shoe instead of the dot. If the shot is tight and a more precision shot needs to be made then the dot is the way to go however this usually takes a little more time.

- The small lever on the scope is not large enough to adjust powers quickly so I added a switchview made by MGM. The addition of a larger leaver on the adjustment ring is definately a time saver when adjusting powers.

- The quality and clarity of the glass gets many kudo's. I like it so much that a new 1.5x8 was ordered for my backup rifle. The decision came after a year of testing and evaluation. The new scope has a thin horseshoe in it. Will take some time to learn however I'm liking it so far.

- The scope is large, beefy, and made of steel. Being a brute comes with some expense of added weight to the system. Noticeable at first however manageable because the scope sits in the center axis of the rifle.

- The BDC reticle hash marks are not dead-nuts on with my load however very close. It's take a little time to learn that I need to put a small amount of holdover on target past 400 and 500. The hash marks also give you a measurement reference for targets at a specific distance...not an exact science for windage but helpful for running quick calculations for windage holds.