Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P Pro 9 shooting low

Gary H.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post, just got my wife's pro back from having trigger work, she was pretty accurate with it before, but now is shooting it low, 4-5 inches at 10 yds. I will will bench it to see if it is her or the gun.

Kind of surprising to see them vary that much with different bullet weights.

My Pro shoots dead on with a 6 o'clock hold from 10 yds, and gradually moves up to POA=POI at about 30yds. Shoots 3-4 inches low at 50. this is all with 124gr Montana Golds. It shoots tighter groups with 147gr lead at 50yds but lower than the 124gr.

My Pro shoots dead on with a 6 o'clock hold from 10 yds, and gradually moves up to POA=POI at about 30yds. Shoots 3-4 inches low at 50. this is all with 124gr Montana Golds. It shoots tighter groups with 147gr lead at 50yds but lower than the 124gr.

sounds logical, the heavier bullet will probably drop more at 50. I will try 115 and 147 since I load both, and they are accurate in my other guns. I am wondering if bringing the trigger break up a lighter trigger may be causing her to shoot low, but both pros are doing the same thing(she has a spare and both received the same trigger treatment).

I don't have the answer but Smith & Wesson is sending me a prepaid slip to send it back to them to figure it out. They promised to straighten it out on their dime. Sounds like a group of guns got through with the same problem. Steve Roach told me that they sight in at 25 yards and that the bullet is still rising at 7 - 10 yards, but mine was lower at 25 yards than at 10.

Edited cause the fingers don't put down what I'm thinking. Kinda like my shooting!

Edited by Gary H.

All the ammo I've put through it is 115 grain. Haven't tried anything heavier. I've been doing a bunch of draw/dryfire drill work with it. I'm not noticing the front of the gun dipping as I pull the trigger but I don't know if that is something that a pistol novice can pick up on. Not sure what the ball and dummy drills are but I'll do a search. I can get my hits on the plates with it the way it is now, I just have to remember to aim at the top of the plate. Its a little overwhelming everything that a novice has to remember when he hears the beeper. Add to that remember aiming high is just another thing that sometimes gets forgotten.

Bingo...

1) Fix the barrel dip with the "longer trigger". Dry fire, dry fire dry fire.

2) At 7-10 yards, the M&P will hit POI "behind the fiber" using the fiber like a red-dot. At 25 yards, the bullet it still rising and will impact at the top edge of the front sight, or an inch above. At 50yds, my 147 r reloads impact agin just below the top edge.

You have to blot out the POI with the dot at close range. NOT "pumpkin on the fence-post" of a bullseye gun.

MOST new shooters anticipate recoil, flinch, and hit low. Bench-rest the gun at 7-10 yards, and be as mechanical as you can, DEEP in a sandbag. I bet you'll hit right behind the fiber...

Jeff

All the ammo I've put through it is 115 grain. Haven't tried anything heavier. I've been doing a bunch of draw/dryfire drill work with it. I'm not noticing the front of the gun dipping as I pull the trigger but I don't know if that is something that a pistol novice can pick up on. Not sure what the ball and dummy drills are but I'll do a search. I can get my hits on the plates with it the way it is now, I just have to remember to aim at the top of the plate. Its a little overwhelming everything that a novice has to remember when he hears the beeper. Add to that remember aiming high is just another thing that sometimes gets forgotten.

Bingo...

1) Fix the barrel dip with the "longer trigger". Dry fire, dry fire dry fire.

2) At 7-10 yards, the M&P will hit POI "behind the fiber" using the fiber like a red-dot. At 25 yards, the bullet it still rising and will impact at the top edge of the front sight, or an inch above. At 50yds, my 147 r reloads impact agin just below the top edge.

You have to blot out the POI with the dot at close range. NOT "pumpkin on the fence-post" of a bullseye gun.

MOST new shooters anticipate recoil, flinch, and hit low. Bench-rest the gun at 7-10 yards, and be as mechanical as you can, DEEP in a sandbag. I bet you'll hit right behind the fiber...

Jeff

nice post Jeff, it is exactly what I have discovered....

One other thing I have not seen anyone mention is the back strap inserts will affect how the weapon points but not necessarily POA.

The smallest insert felt perfect to me but I pointed better and am faster using the mid-sized insert.

Shooting from a rest can confirm mechanical issues but offhand with the different inserts will show how the gun works in YOUR hand.

I'm sure S&W will fix you up.

Well I had this same issue with my M&P 9. Bought it, put 500 rounds or so through it and it was hitting low with all ammo I tried (115's to 147's)(new & reloaded). Sent it to S&W and they had it for 4 weeks. Got it back, took it out and I still have the same issue. My M&P 40 is dead nuts where ever I point it. S&W said they put a new barrel in my 9 and adjusted the trigger. The trigger is actually worse IMO than it was before I sent it to them. Debating on what to do with it at this point. I shot it today and was just disgusted with it. I can contact S&W again, but they didn't fix it the first time, so why send it back again. I think that this was more than just a bad run of pistols because I have read about this problem on several other boards. It seems to be just with the 9mm also. I haven't read anything about the 40's or compacts having this problem unless I missed it.

we have 2 pros, both have had DB do triggers and both shoot low.........However they are quite accurate, and the groups are centered left to right. The logical solution is just to get a rear adjustable and be done with it. This will allow flexibility to tune the gun for different loads, as in a previous post, it is too much to ask to shoot high and low during a match.

Had a couple guys shoot it tonight. The gun definately shoots low. I shot it off the rest for close to 50 rounds at 10 yards and had a hole a little larger than a golf ball with a couple fliers just outside that group with the top of the group an inch below the bullseye. 2 other shooters shot with it with similar results but not as low as mine. So it appears that the gun does shoot a little low and I do need some work on my trigger pull. Steve Roach has been great with S & W and I'm going to take him up on his offer of them sending me a pre-paid return label and let them check it out. Look forward to getting it back and installing the Apex parts.

Thanks everybody!

bought an m&p pro from my buddy who was having same problem....turns out s&w put on the wrong rear sight, call smith they'll send a replacement for free

Had a couple guys shoot it tonight. The gun definately shoots low. I shot it off the rest for close to 50 rounds at 10 yards and had a hole a little larger than a golf ball with a couple fliers just outside that group with the top of the group an inch below the bullseye. 2 other shooters shot with it with similar results but not as low as mine. So it appears that the gun does shoot a little low and I do need some work on my trigger pull. Steve Roach has been great with S & W and I'm going to take him up on his offer of them sending me a pre-paid return label and let them check it out. Look forward to getting it back and installing the Apex parts.

Thanks everybody!

bought an m&p pro from my buddy who was having same problem....turns out s&w put on the wrong rear sight, call smith they'll send a replacement for free

I sent them an email this evening about mine. I have night sights, so I don't know if they have sights of different heigths, but I asked. I rather not send it back again if they can't fix it. My gun groups well, but it's low. I personally don't want to have to compensate for this difference in a match nor when I am on duty. Hopefully it is as simple as a different sight and S&W will correct it, but if not; I am getting rid of it. just my .02 cents.

Thanks everybody!

I sent them an email this evening about mine. I have night sights, so I don't know if they have sights of different heigths, but I asked. I rather not send it back again if they can't fix it. My gun groups well, but it's low. I personally don't want to have to compensate for this difference in a match nor when I am on duty. Hopefully it is as simple as a different sight and S&W will correct it, but if not; I am getting rid of it. just my .02 cents.

Well S&W answered my email. They want me to send the gun back again and gave me a shipping label. They would not send me a new sight unless the sights were defective (which they said they were not), but they want to test fire it again before they do anything. I'll send it to them, might as well, it's spent most of its time at S&W since I bought it.

Interesting, I will be anxiously awaiting from you regarding what they will do.

just for kicks, I measured the rear sight at .253 and the front .181 on both guns, anyone else measure their sights.

i work part time at a smith master dealer and the gun smith did all the communications with smith....not sure if that made a difference but he did not have to ship back......

has anyone installed the rear adj dawson sight? Is it the way to go for competition and different loads?

That is a logical solution, however the feedback I've seen on the Dawson adjustable has been mixed. (LINK) Also, you have a .305 front sight. :unsure:

just for kicks, I measured the rear sight at .253 and the front .181 on both guns, anyone else measure their sights.

I haven't had a chance to yet, but others have posted similar info previously (LINK)

It appears from all the postings and different vendors websites that the M&P9L/Pro comes equipped with a .180 tall front sight and the M&P9 a .160 tall front sight. My M&P9L doesn't shoot as low as some others in this thread, but I would like to have POI 1-2in above POA at 10-15yds. I fortunately prefer plain black instead of fiber optic so I think I'm going to give a .170 tall front sight a try and see if that gives me the POA and POI I prefer.

Got a chance to shoot my M&P with the Dawson adjustables finally today.

They are perfect. I actually didn't move them at all once they were on the gun. No more bullets impacting under the front sight, which I hate.

Got a chance to shoot my M&P with the Dawson adjustables finally today.

They are perfect. I actually didn't move them at all once they were on the gun. No more bullets impacting under the front sight, which I hate.

did you have to change the front sight as well?

I also had the same issue, I put Dawson adj sight with the 305 frt, work perfect but really didn't like the height of the frt. I really like Scott Warren's rear sight so I tried that. I used the 180 frt and it shot low I had a 160 tried that and it shot high. I had Dawson make a 170 FO and it is perfect. I use a 147gr MG cmj with 3.5 gr of TG PF of about 135

Thanks for the info, it helps to know where we are headed from here. Too late for this weekend , wife and I are going to a course, I will have to scrounge up what 147 I can buy and reload for her, since my similar 147 load hits right on.

• 2 weeks later...

As I reported, the gun was sent back to S & W with a note about what was going on. I got it back in 1 week ( fast service in my opinion) with a 1 line note saying that gun was tested, a new barrell was installed, tested and passed. Still have the same issue of it shooting low although they did put a more accurate barrell on it, significantly more accurate IMHO. Their response was outstanding to my initial emails but when I sent it back, they did not specifically acknowledge that the gun did indeed shoot low. I don't understand why they would jump on getting me the FedEx shipping label to get it sent back but now specifically address my complaints. I purchased this gun because I am not partial tothe grip angle on Glocks, but at least I don't have the same issue of shooting below POA when I use the sights. I'm going to shoot it for a couple weeks and decide whether I'll replace sights or just replace it with a Glock. I'm not reloading yet so changing the weight of my loads isn't an option.

Thanks for everyones help!

Edited by Gary H.