Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One GM's Glock 24

Micah

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Micah,

Can you elaborate on your magazine configuration ?? Which follower, spring, capacity etc...

I am running the Arredondo extensions with stock followers and can load to 19. Would like to find a reliable way to get 20.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, first off, be sure that the inside of your basepads say 17/22 and NOT 19/23. I was scratching my head over two basepads that I acquired with the gun as to why they couldn't hold more than 17rds.

Next up, use #8 followers, and NOT followers like the one pictured below:

folower.jpg

#8s are flat on the bottom and can get a little lower in the mag. Finally, use Arredondo +10% mag springs as they are fitted on the bottom specifically for Arredondo pads. It may be difficult at first, but they will hold 20rds.

I have not fooled around with modifying followers or clipping mag springs as I maintain that the surest way to cause malfunctions is to fool around with the mags. 20rds will get you through any stage.

Final note, make sure your OAL is at a 1.135 or a little less. Bullets dragging on the inside of your mags can cause malfunctions.

I have tried a couple different followers for the extended mags and have found the #6 work very well and the number 8s work also(did a bevel on the bottom of the 8s which is shown in dawsons video). I run the Dawsons now and have a couple arredondos also. At first I would say load them up to 19 and leave them sit for a day or 2. Also the lula loader is great for getting those extended mag filled.

Pretty much running the same setup.......

#8 followers

17/22 Pads

1.135 OAL

Only thing I am using different is the spring. I am running a 33rnd spring with coils cut off. The spring has 15 full coils, what does the Arredondo spring have ??

The the 33rnd spring was recommended by some GM from Ohio that knows a thing or two about shooting Glocks... :ph34r:

The the 33rnd spring was recommended by some GM from Ohio that knows a thing or two about shooting Glocks... :ph34r:

There are 3 of us here in Ohio...but I'm sure I know whom you are referring to.

The base of the Arredondo springs are shaped to fit perfectly flat in the bottom of the basepad. I've been rocking them without any issues. I think Shooters Connection sells 10 packs for a good price. If I catch you at the Indiana match Nick I'll show ya what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Micah - Thanks for the info. Just bought two 24's. Somehow I always find a reason to buy in 2's. I was/am getting frustrated with my Sig X5's. For that much $ they (two of them) should run hard and reliably. Just a few too many hiccups at the at the wrong time. Looking forward to setting up the 24's for competition. Thanks for passing along the info. BTW - Nice back drop for a few of the pics. Go Bucks!!!

Micah,

Can you elaborate on your magazine configuration ?? Which follower, spring, capacity etc...

I am running the Arredondo extensions with stock followers and can load to 19. Would like to find a reliable way to get 20.

Thanks

Nick

I could get 20 in all my mags, but they were hell to hit a fast reload with. I had to smash it into the gun. 19 and they clicked home fine. I agree, the follower is the key to the puzzle. I also used the Wolf +10% springs and arredondo extensions. Played around a little with a friends Taylor Freelance extended mags and found the same was true with them too. 20+1 at the start and reload to a 19. In the two years I ran my G24, I think I only ran into a handful of stages the extra round or two would have made a significant difference. So, I stayed with the reliability instead of tinkering and having to deal with the possibility of the mag puking out on me.

Here's something new that I am trying out:

Saul Kirsch talks about the perfect gun would have the bore axis directly at the center of the palms of our hands for recoil management. I tried to build up the left side of my grip with skate tape to allow my left hand to ride as high as possible on my gun since it is the hand that does 80% of the heavy lifting. Chris thought of it first, so it is not my original idea...but you can buy modeling clay that hardens to an epoxy firmness in the oven, and so I added a glob of it to my lower. Forming it to my own personal grip, the bottom three fingers of my right hand fit right into the finger grooves, and my left hand has a higher grip. Using the same soldering iron tip that I used to stipple my lower, I was able to quite effectively stipple the newly modeled grip. I have dryfired with this new configuration for about 7 hours and have one match under by belt with it...but that is not enough data to make a completely informed decision...however the prognosis looks favorable for right now:

DSCN2473.jpg

DSCN2472.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

DSCN2469.jpg

Have any of you using Dawson magwell and Arrendondo base pads had trouble seating a mag? The top rear corners on mine are bumping the insert of the magwell.

SDM, make sure that the brass insert is tight tight TIGHTLY screwed into the magwell so that there is zero wiggle room...that might fix your issue. Another thing might be that you may need to remove some material from the magwell itself. It was not much, but to get the perfect fit, I needed to kiss the Ice with my Dremel.

Micah

That looks like a perfect mold for maximun fit of your hands. I have a 35 and would think of trying that. Have you shot it with your left hand and how did that feel? Where you able to get a good left hand grip with such a pronounced bulge, or is it something you would have to work around. Ideas, Ideas. I may have to ty that. Where did you get the clay?

SDM, make sure that the brass insert is tight tight TIGHTLY screwed into the magwell so that there is zero wiggle room...that might fix your issue. Another thing might be that you may need to remove some material from the magwell itself. It was not much, but to get the perfect fit, I needed to kiss the Ice with my Dremel.

SDM,

I’ve had good luck with my Dawson heavy magwell with both Arredondo and stock pads. Does you magwell work with stock pads? I had heard the clearance issue with magwells is bigger with stock pads than the aftermarket ones. Is your brass insert fully seated? Mine was a press fit in the frame and that last few millimeters had some resistance. If the insert is fully seated the problem could be bad magwell parts. The Arredondo parts are injection molded and the ones I’ve used are very consistent. The Dawson magwell uses 3 machined parts and there’s a potential for stackup. Try this: take out the brass insert and install the magwell. Try seating the mags, if they fit the problem could be the brass insert. If they don’t fit you can call up Dawson and see if they’ll send you a new insert or just remove material until it fits.

Micah,

Are you talking about the screw that attaches the frame to the insert or the magwell to the insert? If you tighten the frame screw too much it can affect function, which happened with my gun till I backed off on the screw tension. Glockworx is using a set screw to hold in their magwell insert since the screw is really only used for positioning. Even with the magwell screw on the Dawson you need to be careful because it’s a small screw and can strip the threads on the brass insert.

Are you talking about the screw that attaches the frame to the insert or the magwell to the insert?

That's the one. I had some seating issues that were attributed to the looseness of this screw.

Have you shot it with your left hand and how did that feel? Where you able to get a good left hand grip with such a pronounced bulge, or is it something you would have to work around.

Where did you get the clay?

The classifier in the video from Sunday was a weak hand/strong hand deal, and I had a VERY positive grip on both one handed strings. More dryfire and livefire will make it feel more natural over time like any other change in gear. The clay was purchased at Hobby Lobby for the gargantuan price of $1.79 ;)

How does this affect your ability to control your gun in Weak Hand only strings?

edit to add--- you answered my question as I was typing it :surprise:

Edited by HS101

SDM,

I’ve had good luck with my Dawson heavy magwell with both Arredondo and stock pads. Does you magwell work with stock pads? I had heard the clearance issue with magwells is bigger with stock pads than the aftermarket ones. Is your brass insert fully seated? Mine was a press fit in the frame and that last few millimeters had some resistance. If the insert is fully seated the problem could be bad magwell parts. The Arredondo parts are injection molded and the ones I’ve used are very consistent. The Dawson magwell uses 3 machined parts and there’s a potential for stackup. Try this: take out the brass insert and install the magwell. Try seating the mags, if they fit the problem could be the brass insert. If they don’t fit you can call up Dawson and see if they’ll send you a new insert or just remove material until it fits.

I think this may be the issue. I haven't checked it yet but I will. Thanks fellas.

I LIKE that stippling, way cool. The grip looks like it would fill King Kongs hand and kind of reminds me of a bullseye gun. The last picture though is weird. The slide looks like its bent and drooping at the muzzle end. as an aside I just won a Glock certificate in a drawing and now am trying to figure out which one to get and that entails reading all the rules in the USPSA and IDPA books. I suppose I will get something for production and SSP...

earl

• 1 month later...