Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guy at work got his yesterday. It's a lot thinner. Screen is noticeably sharper. Rear camera shoots video very smoothly. Front camera does not have the same resolution, more like a web cam.

The operating system seems to be the same as iOS 4 that I downloaded to my 3GS but his should have more hardware features.

Mine will be arriving via FedEx today... one of the advantages of having a corporate cell phone plan... I don't have to go stand in line with all the crazy people this morning... roflol.gif (the disadvantage was that I had to go through three levels of management approval to get permission to spend my own money on new hardware rolleyes.gif)

Mine will be arriving via FedEx today... one of the advantages of having a corporate cell phone plan... I don't have to go stand in line with all the crazy people this morning... roflol.gif (the disadvantage was that I had to go through three levels of management approval to get permission to spend my own money on new hardware rolleyes.gif)

Folks can stand in line all they want today.....the stores won't have them until the 29th.

Folks can stand in line all they want today.....the stores won't have them until the 29th.

False. Pre-orders arrive today. The folks standing in line are the folks who placed pre-orders....

False. Pre-orders arrive today. The folks standing in line are the folks who placed pre-orders....

Let me re-clarify then - if you want to buy an IPhone (and thus didn't pre-order one), you must wait until the 29th. We are not getting phones to sell until just before that date. This was a last second thing due to the volume of pre-orders we took. This message didn't get out very well as we are having stores report folks lining up to buy phones.

The operating system seems to be the same as iOS 4 that I downloaded to my 3GS but his should have more hardware features.

True. First thing I've done with iOS4 is get the iBooks app and then import the USPSA pdf rulebook into iTunes and synch it over. Now I've got the rulebook on my iPhone and iPod without having to connect to anything.

Here on Phoenix AZ waiting on line to pick up our pre-ordered iPhone 4 (are about to fly to Area 1 or would have had it delved) the store had approx 600 people in the preorder pick up line and about 500 positive people thinking they could walk up without peordering it. Have been here since 6 am and will probably have it in my hand and 9am. Say what you wNt but nobody waits in huge lines and is happy to shell out money for a Droid!

This message didn't get out very well as we are having stores report folks lining up to buy phones.

They had two lines at the local stores, apparently - one for pre-orders, and one for the hopefuls... Apparently, several of the hopefuls are getting phones at the local stores, so they received at least a few extras... They did turn a couple hundred people away, though...

Unfortunately, 99.9999% of the folks in that 'second' line are going to walk away empty handed today.....

....the volume of orders for this phone was just beyond incredible and more than anybody predicted (and maybe better said, more than what the production scheduled allowed). In the past, most of the phones were being shipped directly from a location within the US, now some direct shipments to customers are coming straight from China. So I guess the good news there is - when you do get your IPhone, you will know that it hasn't been sitting around gathering dust in a warehouse. :-)

For the financial types out there - to get an idea as to how big this new IPhone will probably be, wait until AT&T publishes Q3 financials.....not necessarily from revenue but from its cost. While the exact dollars relating to any single product (especially Apple) will never be publicized, I suspect that if you read between the lines as to what is in the financials and the comments from T, you will get an idea just how big the IPhone is.

True. First thing I've done with iOS4 is get the iBooks app and then import the USPSA pdf rulebook into iTunes and synch it over. Now I've got the rulebook on my iPhone and iPod without having to connect to anything.

Thanks for that tip I just downloaded PDF will put in iTunes later..great idea.

You can read PDFs in the original iPhone via Safari - what you can't do is store them on the iPhone and recall them for reading later. iBooks makes that possible - like Bill Noyes, I now have the rulebook on my iPhone for quick reference.

In the end, the reception thing is basically a stupid design error that probably got missed from the way they were testing (the test phone that was lost in the bar had a plastic cover on it that disguised it as a 3GS, and would prevent contact w/ the antennae). If you have wet-ish hands or are in a humid area, you might notice it more than folks with drier hands or in a less humid area. Most of us are going to use the phone with some kind of silicone or plastic cover on it, just to prevent damage should it be dropped, or carried in a pocket with keys or something (like it or not, even Gorilla Glass can be scratched... and the back of the phone is apparently not Gorilla Glass, either, so...). That will also work around the issue.... It's also interesting to note that folks can reproduce it to some extent on earlier iPhones, and that there are other phones on the market exhibiting similar symptoms (the Nexus One is reported in that article)... So, while the issue is obvious on the iPhone 4, it's not new or unique to that phone...

I do find it rather... amusing ... dry.gif ... that Apple is selling a $30 quasi-case for the very first time in the history of the iPhone, and it just happens to be a little rubber ring that covers just the stainless steel band and happens to prevent the issue... dry.gif I ordered the same Incipio dermaSHOT silicone skin I had for the 3G - nice and thin, comes easily out of the pocket, but gives it enough tack so that it stays in your hand, or stays in place on the dash, etc. For $20... including a screen protector... rolleyes.gif

I had to wait in line almost 2 minutes before I could get on the store and pick up my new phone.

So far I like it but I don't have too much to compare it to. This is my first iPhone. The resolution is petty darn impressive.

2 whole minutes huh? Must be nice just proves people is AZ are smarter. 4 hours total in line here! My friend is just a sales guy at a Apple store and the numbers from one store in Scottsdale AZ are amazing

Never would have thought that Merlin was a techno dog. The most important feature one of them things can have is extended off buttom.

Merlin just remember texting is what took Tiger down. Now hangup and dry fire. cheers.gif

You can read PDFs in the original iPhone via Safari - what you can't do is store them on the iPhone and recall them for reading later. iBooks makes that possible - like Bill Noyes, I now have the rulebook on my iPhone for quick reference.

There are quite a few apps that will do that; one of which I use called Goodreader which allows you to store many different file types (including pdf) to the filesystem which you can then access at any time. I think the free version allows you to store 5 files....the pay-for version is unlimited.

In the end, the reception thing is basically a stupid design error that probably got missed from the way they were testing (the test phone that was lost in the bar had a plastic cover on it that disguised it as a 3GS, and would prevent contact w/ the antennae). If you have wet-ish hands or are in a humid area, you might notice it more than folks with drier hands or in a less humid area. Most of us are going to use the phone with some kind of silicone or plastic cover on it, just to prevent damage should it be dropped, or carried in a pocket with keys or something (like it or not, even Gorilla Glass can be scratched... and the back of the phone is apparently not Gorilla Glass, either, so...). That will also work around the issue.... It's also interesting to note that folks can reproduce it to some extent on earlier iPhones, and that there are other phones on the market exhibiting similar symptoms (the Nexus One is reported in that article)... So, while the issue is obvious on the iPhone 4, it's not new or unique to that phone...

I do find it rather... amusing ... dry.gif ... that Apple is selling a $30 quasi-case for the very first time in the history of the iPhone, and it just happens to be a little rubber ring that covers just the stainless steel band and happens to prevent the issue... dry.gif I ordered the same Incipio dermaSHOT silicone skin I had for the 3G - nice and thin, comes easily out of the pocket, but gives it enough tack so that it stays in your hand, or stays in place on the dash, etc. For $20... including a screen protector... rolleyes.gif

The antenna redesign had little to do with technical deficiencies of the old design and everything to do with compensating for AT%Ts poor network coverage. From the standpoint of a design engineer this is Comical really....

Additional useless (or maybe not, if you're a musician) things you can do with iBooks and iOS4 on your iPhone or iPod Touch. I imported a pdf version of the 32 Beethoven piano sonatas into iTunes and synched my phone and iPod, and set bookmarks to the first page of each sonata. Now I can listen to the sonata and follow along in the score.

post-2179-127756781966_thumb.gif...post-2179-127756784601_thumb.gif

And if you have an iPad? Maybe you could play from it with the device on your piano's music stand. Would certainly put an end to flipping the page only to have it flip back on you!