Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production

bird

There was a fairly lengthy post on here somewhere, but I have been unable to find it.  The rule for US production division says the holster must be worn behind the center of the hip bone.  To me, this means I can place the holster some little bit forward of the body centerline.  I arrived at my first stage of the limited nats last year with my holster for the most part strong side aligned; meaning the muzzle was probably within a half inch or so forward of the centerline of my pants (with the clarification that the centerline of my pants was consistent with the centerline of my body).  I was lucky enough to be the first shooter in my squad.  When I went to the line, the RO promptly told me my holster was in the wrong position.  Due to belt loop placement, I had to bag my loaded mags and make my way to a safe area to move my holster probably an inch to the rear, holding up the whole squad for a short period of time.  Something to be said for velcro belts, right?  The RO specifically said my "muzzle needed to be behind the centerline of my body".  I thought I'd took a wrong turn and ended up at an IDPA match.  Obviously, there was and will be some variety in interpretation by each RO.  Don't get me wrong, moving the holster wasn't a big deal...then or now.  I just think the rule verbage and application are not in alignment.  I'll keep searching for the previous post as I'm sure it is stated much better as the issue was fresh on my mind at the time it was written.  I now wear my holster in the behind centerline position as that is where I have to place it for IDPA matches, as I shoot both.  That way I have consistency and there is actually no difference in my first shot times either a bit forward or a bit aft of centerline.  When you start reaching for the fourth or fifth mag you start to look like a pretzel anyway if you start mag placement anywhere near the centerline of the body.  BTW, I hoping since this nationals is a Lim-10/Production/Revolver match the round count will be high but there won't be many 48 round field courses.  Those are tough on prod and Lim-10 shooters and even tougher on the wheelers.

(Edited by cpty1 at 11:25 am on April 8, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see alot of production 9mm shooters using 15-20-30 round mags (loaded to capacity) in USPSA matches.

I thought that you were only supposed to load 10 +1. (IPSC and USPSA rules).

No flames intended but when I shoot production I only have 10 round mags and I have to do 3 reloads compared to someone with a 30 round long stick who does no reloads (on a 30 round cof).

3 reloads really cut into ones overall time compared to someone who doesn't have to reload..

Would someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks...

(Edited by bird at 8:59 pm on May 22, 2002)

Bird,

If those guys are shooting in production division and loading more than ten rounds in any mag, they should be moved to open division pursuant to Rule 6.2.6.  I'd certainly raise the issue with the match director.  

Bird,

Under IPSC rules, there is no capacity restrictions in Production Divison. The only related rules are:

1) No "+2" (or similar) base plates, and

2) The magazine must be of the same dimensions as those supplied by the gun manufacturer for the subject gun.

Hence you may not use, say, Glock 17 magazines in a Glock 19 nor Glock 18 (31 round) magazines in a Glock 17, and so on.

However you are permitted to use "after-market" magazines in your Glock 17 provided the overall length is the same as the magazines supplied by Glock.

The 14th edition of the rules is pretty clear for USPSA. Appendix E states no more than 10 rounds in the magazine for production.  There was a long discussion on one of the forums about L-10 and barney bulletts.  10 means 10, not 11 or more, even to load on command.  10 in the mag, strip one into the chamber, and reload the mag or insert a full one.  Same issue applies to production.  That said, are you sure the other guy is shooting production?  We have a few who shoot that style gun in Limited. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Production the way I understood it is:

Non modified (only minor mods) gun with more than 500 produced by manufacturer.

You always are shooting minor PF because there is no major PF in Production.

10+1 rounds loaded 10+1 rounds shot before reload.

All Equipment, holster and mag holder behind hip bone.