Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Shotgun

Based on the "why not a Benelli M4" thread below, I think you can eliminate it from your consideration for 3 gun matches. :rolleyes:

I agree with the Benelli M2 field model with a 21" or 24" barrel. I would suggest the ComforTech stock to reduce the felt recoil a bit.

Phil G

the benelli m2 is my favorite with ghost ring sights. they gun functions great and the sights are fantastic for any distance slug shots.

I originally used an M2 with ghost rings, and while it's a great shotgun, I found that the ghost rings didn't allow for fast transitions, and gave me some problems picking up flyers. Just my observations, if you are thinking of going that route you may want to borrow one and try it out first.

Thanks for the answers. I was looking for a M2 also but all I've seen have longer barrels. Can someone also offer where I might find one of these in the configuration you've described. Thanks.

The shooter barrels in M2s are harder to find but if you call Benny Hill in Texas I am almost certain he can help you out. You might also want to search the for sale forum here since you see one all tricked out pop up from time to time

Edited by Charles Bond

If you buy a new Remington 1187 and it breaks = no one will be surprised and a bunch of people know how to "Fix" them

If you guy a used worn down Benelli and it breaks , most every one will be surprised and very few will know how to Fix it.

I sold two very nice Browning Gold sporting clays guns to get my Bennelli and I am happy with it . even though I can make it not work , if I try. / put grease in the wrong place.

cool.gif

Never ever need to put grease on a Benelli. A little touch of Mobil One marital aid lube and it will go until you can't go anymore and never get dry.

Yes But I "ThinKKK I know that Know "! 29 deg is not the same as San Antonio's 75= in Dec = and 1,200 miles later and five nights in a hotel rooms for a match that filled up in the first 0.30 seconds. Next year I will know better sick.gif

I will I will

You can grease the bolt with No 105 Motor assembly grease in San Antonio weather.

It works good, untill I think its the same a Slide Glide and not think about Cold grease grabing a fireing pin and not letting it strike the primer consistent.

It was two blown stages before I figured it out.

The Bolt sounded fine, looked fine, But .

If only I had listend to MR Merrlin about the oil instead of the DA that lives in my head.mellow.gif

Edited by AlamoShooter

I would hold out for a 21" M2 vent rib. Give Benny Hill at triangle shooting sports a call. He may be buying tham all. Get one from him set up for 3-gun. It will cost about the same as if you set it up yourself, with far less effort.

Thanks for the answers. I was looking for a M2 also but all I've seen have longer barrels. Can someone also offer where I might find one of these in the configuration you've described. Thanks.

Keep a watch on GunBroker. It took awhile but I picked up a used one there (it actually gets here today). Don't expect to get it cheap. I thought I had this one at a good price. Then, with 30 minutes to go, other folks started jumping on. I ended up using the "Buy it Now" button just to make sure it didn't get away. I ended up paying about as much for this used one as for a new one with the Benelli rebate applied. But at least I got my 21" gun. I'd already picked up a 24" barrel for my M1S90 so I can use the M2 as a backup bird gun too.

Now I just have to decide which I like better, the Benelli or the FN Mark I.

Decisions, decisions... :devil:

Can anyone give me some opinions on a good shotgun for three-gun, etc. I was looking at the Remington 1100 TAC 4 but don't know much about it.

Thanks! :)

BTW, now that I notice your in Alabama, the Gander Mountain in Huntsville has FN Mark I SLPs for $850. I love mine so far. Don't know how close you are to Huntsville, but it might be worth the drive. If you go that route, you might want to hurry, they may only have one left. The sale has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

4 or 5 years ago, I called Benny Hill and asked him his opinion on the best 3-Gun shotgun - if you know anything about Benny you can probably guess his response. Being a cheapskate, I didn't listen and saved $500 by getting a Rem 1100 Competition Master. It ran pretty well for a couple years but then started having problems, a few at first and then more. Tried all the normal "fixes" and finally got it running 98-99%, but never 100%. The final straw came when it jammed numerous times during the 2008 USPSA MG Nationals.

It took me six months of internet searching last year before I was able to find an M2 with 21" vent rib barrel for an acceptable price ($1100 plus $15 for shipping). My advice is Google Search the gun you're looking for - my perception is that it's easier to find the 21" Benelli now than it was a couple years ago (I've seen several for sale when I wasn't even looking for one). In retrospect, I wish I'd saved up a couple more months and bought the Benelli from the start. Buy once - cry once.

I have an M2 24" I just bought if you want it. New except for demo shooting. I was going to get the barrel cut by Briley. You can have it at cost if you in a hurry. Some run the 24", Got it as backup for PanAm but I lucked in to an M1.

I asked this exact same question about a year ago. The responses that I received where to buy a Benelli. So I bought an 24" M1 & 21" M2 & my 24" Nova is shipping next week. I couldn't be happier with the performance and reliability from my M1/2 thus far. If you can afford one get it right the first time. If you can't afford one now start searching for a used Nova. I just bought the Nova off gunbroker for $350 which is tough to beat!

You can find a used M2 in the $750-900 range if you search hard enough.

I bought a used one off the classifieds here for around $1200 and the bolt had been through Benny's shop, it had a Nordic Tube, Nordic bolt handle, Arredondo bolt release alrady installed. It was ready to go excpet I needed to have the lifter welded and the loading port opened up.

Don't be afraid of going with a 24" barrel. You can then run a 10 round tube for those matches that let you load it all the way up after the beep.

I'll go one step further. If you find a good deal on one with a 26" barrell grab it. That's what I have been using from the start. I have a plus 7 nordic tube which will allow 10 total in the tube. My tube sticks out about 2/3 of an inch past my barrell. Never had an issue with length.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I shot my first 2-gun match yesterday with a 870P. I had some issues related to PD training; we train with the chamber empty to start, so I shucked out 2 live rounds at the start of two stages...dumb. I saw a few M-2s etc., SLPs, 870s, 1100s and Mossies. I have found a 1100P for a decent price. Is the M-2 21" worth nearly twice the price of the 1100P?

Thanks again!