Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back into Shooting

My daughter has decided to get back into shooting, and I am looking for opinions on what would be best for her. She started out shooting one of my .45 1911's, but about five years ago she was in a 4-wheeler accident and shattered her elbow. It is now held together with screws, plates, and baling wire. She wants to get started again, but cannot handle the recoil of the .45. She is adamant about not shooting a revolver (my choice), so I have a friend loaning her a Glock 34 for this weekend to shoot production.

I think she will not be happy in production, preferring to shoot limited, so I have narrowed my choices for her down to these:

Glock 34

Springfield XD (5inch version)

S&W M&P 9L

What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks.

Honestly. She just needs to find the best deal with any of the guns you have listed. Then just practice like crazy with it. Check the classifieds here and on the USPSA website. Some sweet ones show up there every so often.

All of the above mentioned guns have some nice features. I've got a XD Tactical that shoots very well. I have not had the chance to shoot the XDM but I understand it is really sweet, and what the guns should have been from the start. With some work from Canyon Creek along with his basepads they are works of art. Also with the XDM the mag capacity is much better if you are thinking Limited in minor. Hopefully the injury will heal and your daughter can really enjoy shooting again... pain free.

If there is a place where she can shoot some of the mentioned guns then both of you can make a better informed choice. Wish you great success in getting her a gun and gear that she can enjoy.

Edited by pvhendrix

She's welcome to try my M&P. Is this the same daughter I met at the Classic?

She is, and if you are going to be at the match this Sunday, I would appreciate a chance for her to try your M&P. Robbie is loaning her a 34 and hopefully Danny will be there with his Springfield. She can try all three.

She's welcome to try my M&P. Is this the same daughter I met at the Classic?

She is, and if you are going to be at the match this Sunday, I would appreciate a chance for her to try your M&P. Robbie is loaning her a 34 and hopefully Danny will be there with his Springfield. She can try all three.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one. If Robbie or Danny's guns don't quite suit her, just let me know and we'll find a way I can let her run a few magazines through it to see what she thinks.

Recoil on the Gen. 4 Glock is supposed to be different with the new recoil spring system. She might give that a try.

FWIW

Richard

PS: She might want to try a 1911 and shoot Limited 10 minor.

Edited by chirpy

Not wanting to start gun debates here. If she needs to run lighter loads near 125 I found my M&P did not run well at the very low end of the PF range. My 34 however, seems to have no problems doing so. The PRO was a good shooter though other than that.

PS: She might want to try a 1911 and shoot Limited 10 minor.

Agree. You have the rig and accessories. She is familiar with the platform.

All you gotta do is load 45 minor.

Another point might be the "snappiness" and muzzle flip of the 9mm in a light handgun vs the "pushiness" of 45 minor in a full size handgun.

But do have her try the different guns.

Let us know how she does and what she chooses.

a G34 loaded down to a 130ish PF and resprung for reliability wouldnt put as much strain on her elbow i should think??? she can shoot production with it, or as i see you not restricted on mag capacity, she can shoot limited minor, till she gets a 'feel' for what her newly reconstructed elbow can take??? either way, let her decide, its gonna be her elbow that will let her know what she can and cant do, also maybe think of some sort of support for it??? sort of a knee bracefor her elbow??? hope it all works out and she gets back to shootin!!!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys.

I had considered the 1911 .45 Minor route, but thought it best that she have her own gun and rig,(that would keep her out of my gear) and might make her work harder at it.

I will let everyone know how she does this weekend.

You said she wouldnt be happy in production, but then basically listed a line of production guns, What is it about production she doesnt like ? The plane jane rigs and guns or the limited magazine capacity ? Get her set up to shoot Limited minor and real quickly she'll decide her gear is holding her back. even if realistically she shoots minor better, but she'll get in her mind she cant compete in limited shooting minor. The lighter weight ploy guns shooting 40 major arnt gonna be any lighter recoiling than your 1911, A full size and weight STI 40 will probably make her pretty happy, download the ammo to minor if you must but she'll eventually grow into it. The other option would be Open, all the gee wiz doodads and compensated guns may take some of the strain off.

Well, she shot the match today and finished 41 out of 42. Lest anyone think that is not too good, I will admit, (as will she) she had two brain cramps. On one stage she forgot to load her mags and on another she only fired two rounds on targets that required three. I figure after a five year lay-off and a gun she has never shot before that was good enough.

After the match, she tried a Springfield XD, XDM, and a CZ 75. The XD was too hard on her elbow for recoil, the XDM was OK, and the CZ she did not like the long double action pull for the first shot. That being said, it looks like I am on the hook for a Glock 34. If anyone has one they want to sell on the cheap, let me know. I will be ordering her one in about a week.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and replies.