Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How would you handle a bullet jammed in the chamber....backwards!?

steel1212

So at the last match a shooter comes to me and says I have jammed gun. I look at him and ask why didn't his RO take care of it. He says well the RO thanks that I should take care of it, me being the MD blink.gif Ok so now my interest is up. We go over to a empty bay and he shows me a 1911 with a .45 round fed backwards. Now this round is still live. Only way to get it out is to move it back out of the chamber and that is from the primer side. So we take some oil and soak the snot out of it and luckily it pushes out, not hammers out.

So what would you have done....?

Depends on weather he put it in the mag backwards or not! LOL

Not sure if the oil did any good or not! Did you try to fire that round after you got it out? MIght have been interesting to see.

Richard

If WD40 were available, I would have tried that. I have heard that it will "deactivate" live primers but I have never tried it. Sounds like it all worked out in the end. How did he get the round in backwards anyway? Did he load his mag with one round backwards or was this some standard malfunction turned even uglier by the shooter?

If WD40 were available, I would have tried that. I have heard that it will "deactivate" live primers but I have never tried it. Sounds like it all worked out in the end. How did he get the round in backwards anyway? Did he load his mag with one round backwards or was this some standard malfunction turned even uglier by the shooter?

I'm guessing he loaded the round backwards. What confuses me is the fact that it completely, and I mean Completely chambered! If it wasn't for the bullet sticking out the slide would have closed. We didn't have WD40 we just used some oil of some sort. I was really just wanting it to seam around the brass so that I could push it out easier.

As far as deactivating primers goes, I've always been interested in this topic. Years ago, I bought some 44 magnum brass (Winchester Super Vel) that had a brownish/black substance on the inside of the brass. I'm assuming it was a sealant? It made reloading next to impossible. The shell would get stuck on the belling/funnel thingy on the powder station of my 550 and it was a bear to get off. So I talked to the guy that sold me the brass and he tells me to soak the rounds in mineral spirits to break down this brownish/black crap on the inside of the case. After three weeks in mineral spirits the primers still went bang. So.....when someone tells me something will deactivate a primer, I'm always suspicious.

I'm not sure what I would have done in this situation, but I certainly wouldn't hammer out a live round.

I had success killing one with WD40 in a customer's rifle who ripped of the rim of a shell and then tried to pound it out from the bore (which only knocks the bullet into the case :ph34r: ) I soaked it over night before extracting the case. After emptying the powder, I could not set off the primer by striking it.

Had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago. Shooter had a mag fall out during COF, rather than grab a new one he picked it up off the ground and reseated it. When he pushed it in I saw the top bullet flip off the top of the mag and land backwards. Before I could stop him he let the slide go forward. That is where I got him stopped. I had another shooter get my "40" dowel out of my bag and I pushed the round out easily.

I had this happen at a tactical class last month. Was the result of a rip, strip drill, We were using well worn homemade dummy rounds (no primers). An assistant wanted to shove a pen down the barrel, the instructor was not amused. His technique was a shotgun cleaning rod with large diameter threads (to avoid touching the absent primer). He also suggested a flat wooden dowel. Since it wasn't a live round, great training.

So I guess it wouldn't hurt to make an extra brass rod and countersink the center

I might have 3 made, 9mm, 40, 45. If you countersink the center a little it won't hurt the integrity that much.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW.. the "deactivation" is only temporary, once they dry out they'll fire again.

You mentioned Super Vel, Lee Jurras told the story a couple years back of sending primed brass over seas to Norma that he thought he'd "deactivated", only to have them rather upset with him when they showed up live and working just fine.

A wooden dowel around bore size wouldn't set the primer off, but not everyone will have one of those handy at the range!

I have squib rods in 22,40&45 cal that are cupped to fit over the bullet nose. It would have only contacted the case head and not the primer

I'd a hammered it out if needed with either my squib rod or a 45cal dia wood dowel, we keep a few at every stage

I'd have used a Black Powder "worm":

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=856133

Actually, I think that the BP Cleaning Jag on the end of a short rod would be better, since it is about bore sized and has a cupped end. Now that I really think about it, I am going to get several and set them up for the different calibers that we use - one shaft with caliber specific heads.