Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD-9 reload blues

Jachin

Good evening,

My XD-9 service had fired over 15,000 rounds flawlessly. No failures of anykind. Then I started reloading. With a softer than factory load the gun fires, the slide cycles, the slide picks up the next round and the next round slams into the just fired casing that is still in the chamber. This has happened 6 to 7 times out of a thousan reloads. I go back to factory stuff and never a problem. Between 15,000 and 17,000 I ran 1500 or so reloads that were factory equivalent and no problems. A few of the FTE casings were bulged out at there base and would not go into the chamber. A couple were a little snug but would tap out.

I visually inspected the extractor and it looks fine.

My reloads are zero 125gr. over 4.15grs. W-231 power with mixed brass. OAL is 1.400 with a crimp of .377.

What's your best guess why the extractor doesn't pull the casing out?

Best regards,

I'm new to this board but I've been shooting and reloading XD's for about 4 years now. I haven't had this specific problem, but I can tell you what I'd look at.... You may have a few bulging cases that are getting stuck. Are you using range brass? Have you noticed that it happens with a certain headstamp? Take a look at your brass and make sure you cull out anything that looks like it is bulging. Next take a look at your resizing die and make sure it is resizing as much of the case as possible with your setup. Finally, make sure you are case gauging your rounds with the actual chamber of your pistol. Take the barrel out and drop a round it to make sure it is seating properly/freely and will practically drop back out when you turn it over. Check it with factory ammo if you're not sure how it should look.

I found that my XD 9mm's like a certain OAL - and it is different for each cartridge. There's an easy way to figure this out too. Just drop a bullet (projectile only) into the chamber - it will stop when it hits the rifling. Lay the barrel on the bench and take a dowel (I use a cleaning rod) and insert it from the muzzle end of the barrel until it just touches the bullet. Take a pencil and make a mark on the dowel to mark the length of the barrel from crown of the muzzle to the bullet. Then tap the bullet out and put the barrel chamber side down on the workbench. Insert the dowel into the muzzle and let it stop at the bench. Now make another mark on your dowel - this should be the OAL for the particular bullet. Measure the marks with your calipers and back it off by a couple thousandths so your loaded rounds won't be hitting the rifling. Now load up a couple dummy rounds and check for proper fit in both the chamber and your mags. If the OAL is way off what you were using before you may want to back your load off and work it back up again until it chrono's at PF.

If this is confusing PM me and I'll help.

Have you case checked your rounds? Do all of them pass? Does this occur with factory ammo too?

You might try a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the final stage of your press to avoid the possibility of any bulged cases.

Also, a 1.400 OAL seems very long. I use 1.135 with 125 grain Zero JHP's.

It also could be that your extractor is just worn but not visibly. Springfield's life time warranty can take care of that.

Have you case checked your rounds? Do all of them pass? Does this occur with factory ammo too?

You might try a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the final stage of your press to avoid the possibility of any bulged cases.

Also, a 1.400 OAL seems very long. I use 1.135 with 125 grain Zero JHP's.

It also could be that your extractor is just worn but not visibly. Springfield's life time warranty can take care of that.

Quality control eliminates a lot of problems, aka Drop Check it if don't drop in and out its bad. OAL varies, on every loader I have been on when all stations a full and when they are not, make sure you set length with all stations full. When there is a empty station like the sizing die the OAL will shorten by @ .0050 - .010..

Good advice above. I agree that Glocked brass can be a problem. If you're using range brass or buying once fired bass you are getting a fair amount of it. They are good, popular guns. I take my XDM apart and chamber check every round, I find 2 or 3 rejects out of 100 or so. I use an undersize die from Evolution Gun Works, it makes most of the bulged brass work. I use range brass exclusively. They're about $30.00. They do really "work" the brass though and probably shorten the lifespan of the brass, but it's free so.

Another note on OAL. 1.140 may be a little long, every bullet brand, type is going to have it's own OAL. You just need to find it. I shoot 4.1 to 4.3grns of 231 or HP38 and it works great in my gun, you're right on powder wise.

Most guys here shoot in competition and ammo has to be 100%. So you'll get some great advice.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Rick

I'd suggest getting one of the go/no-go drop in check gauges. At the rate that you're experiencing problems it would seem likely that it's an issue with some particular cases. As an alternative to the drop in gauge you can also take your barrel out and see if the rounds drop into the chamber okay. I think I would save the rounds that seem to cause the problem, and when you get home to clean your gun and have the barrel out, see if the problem rounds drop into your chamber okay.

Also, if you're using varied brass, especially if it's been fired a wide variance of times, like some being once fired and other being 6x, you will want to check your overall case length. You may be loading to the same OAL, but maybe some of your cases are a bit too long. That is something a drop in gauge will catch as well.

Edited by drysideshooter

• 4 weeks later...

I have run into the same issue with both 9mm and 40cal fired brass from my Glocks with my XDM's. I called Dillon and they told me to run the seating die down 1/8 turn until they drop into the chamber. My press does not full length re size. After that, no issues!

Edited by Bansheex

I I called Dillon and they told me to run the seating die down 1/8 turn until they drop into the chamber.

:surprise: You can't just willy nilly push a bullet farther into the case. You are going to push pressure way up doing that! That is some of the worst advice I have ever heard given. I think that is trouble waiting to happen.

+1 on the dowel trick for getting max OAL and then backing it off a hundredth or so. I used this method and found a measurement that works pretty well for my particular application.

sounds like a shorter OAL is in order BUT with that also you need to drop the powder charge a couple of tenths as well, again a case guage is your friend, or atthe very least a barrel drop of a sample batch of rounds to see ifthey will go in and out effortlessly

I I called Dillon and they told me to run the seating die down 1/8 turn until they drop into the chamber.

:surprise: You can't just willy nilly push a bullet farther into the case. You are going to push pressure way up doing that! That is some of the worst advice I have ever heard given. I think that is trouble waiting to happen.

Sorry for the mix up, I meant the Crimping die. The bullet is loaded to the OAL spec in the reloading manual.

Edited by Bansheex

• 1 month later...