Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 170mm magazines

soaringf22

I recently bought a .38 super open gun made by EGW off a para double stack frame. My first open gun by the way, so Im excited to start shooting. I got 3 mec-gar magazines with it. however i want to shoot USPSA Open and cant find any 170mm magazines for it. I found the old forums that say use STI however STI has stopped making para compatible magazines. so where can I find magazines that'll work? which brand? I know I will have plenty more questions down the road being this is my first open gun and also my first .38 super. I would have posted pictures but thanks to living in the state of New Jersey I have to wait a few more weeks to take possession of the gun since I purchased an xd40 a week prior to buying the 38 super. but this is not the proper posting place to gripe about laws so I'll hold off on that.

Thanks for the help

-Steve

You might want to try borrowing an STI mag and see if it works in your gun. A lot of times they work as is, sometimes they don't. Rich at Canyon Creek made me a mag catch that works with STI mags, just in case I needed it. For now, I've got a few of the old STI for Para 170's.

I would use a buddy if I could, but I do not know anyone who shoots open, and the USPSA matches at my range have been cancelled because of a local inspector saying that water runoff is affecting the natural pinelands. so until the range gives money to township, the township wont let them fix the problem. so until that day all I can do is practice. I will be driving further to get in a match or two but as of right now I'm flying blind.

-Steve

and there in lies the problem, seems like gun manufacturers just dont get it, Para makes a 6" in gun,,,,, in 45,,, they say they want to get into USPSA market and make a 38 super and no magazines,

I use STI 170's and did not want to modify the mags so I had a friend place a small weld on the end of my mag catch. I filed it to fit so it would raise my mag up into the grip just a little more. It is not pretty, but it has worked for more than a year now. I tend to use my 170's quite often, because I miss more than I should. :blink:

I do have a non-Para SPS 170 and it seems OK, but they did not yet have the Para type when I ordered mine.

SPS Magazines and the SPS Company are from Spain in Europe.

I use both SPS magazines and SVI magazines in my SPS gun and both work well.

I see no problem for you as an American to order Para specific magazines from Spain.

Just go along and order them if you cant find magazines stateside that work in you para.

Cheers

Freddie

Hi Soaring,

seen this?

http://www.sps-dc.co...96f818ac39d6e90

BulM5

Where is this company located?

Where are you guys getting your SVI mags?

Always like to help NJ shooters...SPS is in Spain but Rene at Speed Shooters Int (in Burbank) sells them I think. The best way to get SVI mags is to call them-in Texas-tell them what you want, order it and them wait for them to make it. I think Brandon Strayer is the best machinist around and well worth waiting for.