Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Folks with experience handing out awards . . .

Pro2AInPA

I'm running a charity steel match in July to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.

I have a whole bunch of prizes to hand out, but this is the first time I've organized a prize table.

Can someone with experience organizing a prize/award format for a match send me a PM? I just don't want to post the whole list of available prizes here in the thread.

Thanks! :cheers:

I'm running a charity steel match in July to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.

I have a whole bunch of prizes to hand out, but this is the first time I've organized a prize table.

Can someone with experience organizing a prize/award format for a match send me a PM? I just don't want to post the whole list of available prizes here in the thread.

Thanks! :cheers:

Do you want a way to organize the items quickly (among several divisions)? If you have Excel, I have a spreadsheet that may help. We use it at Ft Benning & I have sent it out to several other match directors. Send me an email at LChico@msn.com & please include a phone number & a good time to call.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Run it top to bottom in order of value ( Just Like Linda's spread sheet ). NEVER put ANY donated prises into a "Surprise" grab bag, MAKE SURE that all your sponsors wares are out in the open for all to see. This not only lets the competitor "choose" his own prise from a wide selection, but it shows the shooters just how much support the manufacturers are giving to our sport.

If I were a big manufacturer/supplier and donated a bunch of stuff to a match I would go ballistic if my stuff ended up in a "black grab bag". I want folks to SEE what I gave!!

Don't rush the prise table, let folks see what is there. It is always a good idea to let folks into the prise area well before the prise ceramony...under the proper supervision so they can kind of plan on what they want! Speeds everything up and once again shows off all the goods donated.

A good example of this was La Rue, although they didn't let anyone in before hand and kind of rushed it, I was helping set it up and all of a sudden I realized that EVERY prise on the table had a Brownells AR mag and a Mag-Pul Mag with it... got to let folks see it!!!

Almost any liquor store has "case tops" these make GREAT things to put prise bundles into...everything visible and yet easy to carry off.

Always put a Sponsors list in your match booklet, and do a QUICK read of sponsors at the prise ceremony, and note any great big donation like the 2 cases of mags Brownells sent to La-RUE or say something like totaled the prise table is $$ amount thank our sponsors. Also give a good contact sheet to the competitor so they can call and say thank you...I ALWAYS DO!!! If you have any other questions give me a P.M. I am happy to help! KurtM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

The bigger $$$ value prizes on hand so far are:

Pelican rifle case

$250 range bag from Brownell's

Two $500 gift certificates from Nighthawk Custom

Two $100 gift certificates from LaRue

AR-22 kit for a 10/22 action from Nordic Components

Shotgun upgrade kit certificate ($150 value) from Nordic Components

A VERY nice locking rifle vise from Lyman

I believe there are more prizes pending, and some of them very way well be fairly high value items.

Then, there are a TON of smaller prizes from various sponsors like shirts, hats, XD mag extensions from Canyon Creek, range bags, extended 10/22 mag releases, GTUL combo packs, holsters, mag pouches, brass bags, the list goes on.

I'm thinking of making each high value item its own prize and then making "prize bundles" out of the other stuff?

Looks like you've got plenty of recommendations on handing out the prizes.

To me, the MOST important aspect of any prize table is to make sure that EVERYONE's entry is in the basket.

I've been to several matches that used shooter names or numbers in order to draw names for prizes, only to find out once the big ticket items were given out that not everyone's entry was in the basket ... so sorry, prizes are gone!!!!

Keep it HONEST for all.

Looks like you've got plenty of recommendations on handing out the prizes.

To me, the MOST important aspect of any prize table is to make sure that EVERYONE's entry is in the basket.

I've been to several matches that used shooter names or numbers in order to draw names for prizes, only to find out once the big ticket items were given out that not everyone's entry was in the basket ... so sorry, prizes are gone!!!!

Keep it HONEST for all.

The plan at this point is to award the big ticket stuff by order of finish in the match and hand out "prize packs" by random drawing with the names of everyone who DIDN'T win a prize in the drawing.

I've been involved in several majors and here's my thoughts:

The Prize table isn't for winners, its for marketing the products of the companies that help support the sport. You owe it to the donors of said prizes to show off their wares and provide them a forum for receiving marketing value for their donation. If someone donates a $500 gun, you better find a way to get them $500 worth of advertising. Those products should be shared among the ranks so that the donor gets maximum ROI.

Winners, in my opinion, should receive a trophy for their success and a cash payout if one is provided.

My opinion.

The Prize table isn't for winners, its for marketing the products of the companies that help support the sport. You owe it to the donors of said prizes to show off their wares and provide them a forum for receiving marketing value for their donation. If someone donates a $500 gun, you better find a way to get them $500 worth of advertising. Those products should be shared among the ranks so that the donor gets maximum ROI.

Winners, in my opinion, should receive a trophy for their success and a cash payout if one is provided.

My opinion.

There's no cash payout because this is a charity match.

How would you recommend awarding prizes?

My opinion.

There's no cash payout because this is a charity match.

How would you recommend awarding prizes?

I highly recommend awarding all prizes by a drawing only. Top shooters get all kinds of freebies, give the "common" folk a chance to win a gun and other high-value prizes and give the top shooters another trophy/plaque to add to their "I love me wall".

I guess I'll look into the cost of getting trophies made. I really want to be able to give something specifically to the folks who win their division . . .

Anyone have suggestions for good companies to use for trophies/plaques?

Here's another thing. As the match director but also a competitor, is there a problem with including my name in the random drawing for prizes? :blink:

Edited by Pro2AInPA

"I love me wall"???? Man, you sound bitter.

I feel the prises should reward excellence. If we don't reward excellence in our sport there will be no excellent shooters.

Here's another thing. As the match director but also a competitor, is there a problem with including my name in the random drawing for prizes? :blink:

I see no problem with that; Just get someone else to pick the names out of the hat. One way is to pick the first winner and then the winner picks the next name and so on.

I feel the prises should reward excellence. If we don't reward excellence in our sport there will be no excellent shooters.

I personally think the best way to do it is HOA goes first then class winners, by order of finish. After HOA and class winners you go by order of finish with the prizes. It rewards those that put in the effort to win their class. If your 2nd M we'll guess what 1st D will go before you because they beat the people in their skill level and you didn't.

I personally think the best way to do it is HOA goes first then class winners, by order of finish. After HOA and class winners you go by order of finish with the prizes. It rewards those that put in the effort to win their class. If your 2nd M we'll guess what 1st D will go before you because they beat the people in their skill level and you didn't.

There will be no division awards at this particular match because there are no divisions . .. it's not a USPSA match.

I've always thought HOA was weird as well. I can easily see how a guy shooting open could beat a BETTER shooter who is shooting a stock gun in another division and finish higher in HOA, because of his comp and red dot . . .

There will be no division awards at this particular match because there are no divisions . .. it's not a USPSA match.

I've always thought HOA was weird as well. I can easily see how a guy shooting open could beat a BETTER shooter who is shooting a stock gun in another division and finish higher in HOA, because of his comp and red dot . . .

that is why there is HOA in each division.

If there is no divisions will there be classes? If no classes then order of finish. Keep in mind a lot of the people that give you prizes want people to be able to pick THEIR prize not get STUCK with something they didn't want. I was going to go into why but that isn't the question you asked and we have had that debate..over...and over....and over...again!

that is why there is HOA in each division.

If there is no divisions will there be classes? If no classes then order of finish. Keep in mind a lot of the people that give you prizes want people to be able to pick THEIR prize not get STUCK with something they didn't want. I was going to go into why but that isn't the question you asked and we have had that debate..over...and over....and over...again!

Doh, I feel like an idiot. There ARE divisions but no CLASSES. My mistake!

When you said HOA I thought you meant HOA for the match, not the division.

No, it's not bitterness. That's a phrase we used in the Military whenever we got a Certificate of Achievement or another paper award .. we joked about putting it on our "I love me wall".

I always felt you should do both if possible, recognize performance AND give everyone a chance to take home something good. We do plaques and checks for performance, but random draw for the prize table. The best shooters still have it good because they have the same chance to get a good prize that everyone else does but they'll likely be taking home a plaque and a check as well.

That said, doing plaques and prizes and/or checks too can be hard for a smaller match to handle. If you aren't giving plaques or checks to recognize performance, then I'd vote to do the prize table in order of finish. Just think you have to have some way to recognize and reward performance.

why not do something like HOA for each division get to pick a prize first. those who work hard should get rewarded. after those few people go you can random draw for everybody else. its not a perfect system, but the winners get rewarded for winning and the regular joe-schnmoe shooter still has a chance to go home with something nice and show to his friends.