Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Folks with experience handing out awards . . .

Pro2AInPA

why not do something like HOA for each division get to pick a prize first. those who work hard should get rewarded. after those few people go you can random draw for everybody else. its not a perfect system, but the winners get rewarded for winning and the regular joe-schnmoe shooter still has a chance to go home with something nice and show to his friends.

This may very well be the way it ends up working.

I'm big on letting the folks who donated prizes for the awards know that they are appreciated. Have somebody do an inventory of the donations and print a generic thank you letter naming the donation and of course the company or person. As the winners come up to receive their award they sign the letter which you mail to said company or person. Yeah it's a bit more work (delegate, delegate, delegate) but it goes a long way when asking for donations the next year.

CYa,

Pat

I'm big on letting the folks who donated prizes for the awards know that they are appreciated. Have somebody do an inventory of the donations and print a generic thank you letter naming the donation and of course the company or person. As the winners come up to receive their award they sign the letter which you mail to said company or person. Yeah it's a bit more work (delegate, delegate, delegate) but it goes a long way when asking for donations the next year.

CYa,

Pat

AWESOME idea, thank you!

I like random draw, myself.

For Charity events this is the best idea.

We just did a Shoot for a Cure and that is how we did it. The idea is to raise money for the Event not give the best shooters some good prizes. If you want max community involvement then let everyone know they have an equal chance at a good prize.

You may even want to raffle off the best prizes to get even more money.

I like random draw, myself.

For Charity events this is the best idea.

We just did a Shoot for a Cure and that is how we did it. The idea is to raise money for the Event not give the best shooters some good prizes. If you want max community involvement then let everyone know they have an equal chance at a good prize.

You may even want to raffle off the best prizes to get even more money.

I've seen this done at several larger matches. You buy extra tickets, normally $10 or so a pop, that get added to the large ticket item drawing.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, just wanted to revisit this thread.

1. We can't do a raffle at the match, because our club doesn't have a games of chance license.

2. Here is the shooter count by division. What would the best way to do this be? Some divisions have far more shooters than others.

Limited – 35 shooters

Open – 6 shooters

Rimfire – 8 shooters

Open rimfire – 9 shooters

Revolver – 5 shooters

Open revolver – 4 shooters

Carbine -13 shooters

I have a trophy/plaque for first place in each division, so obviously each division winner will get one of those and a trip to the prize table. How about the rest of the prizes? Top certain % in each division then random draw for the rest or . . . ?

Since I have sponsored a number of matches I feel compelled to chime in from the sponsors perspective first. What bothers me at a match is sometimes the LACK of recognition at shooters briefings. I have sponsored Area 8 when in PA, Summer Blast and the PSA Shootout and have ALWAYS been recognized at the match with a thankyou as I am one of the few sponsors who shoots these matches. I appreciate that very much. Thus, announce your sponsors and if any are present make sure your shooters know who they are so they can also say thanks. I have also sponsored other matches. I will not name them as my experience has not been as good. No recognition at all and often not even a sign.

From a person who is shooting the match, I have mixed feelings about prizes and prize tables. My suggestion in this case is give a trip to the prize table for each Division winner and then random draw for the rest. Your only real problem here is that the open rimfire shooter should win the match. That is my experience in the PA Steel League so you may need a way to handicap them. Normally I would say forget the plaque as this is for charity BUT I personally would be honored to have a "Wounded Warrior" winner plaque to hang on my wall. Maybe your local trophy maker would donate them for the free publicity, after all, you are only talking about 7 plaques.

You also asked about the match director winning prizes. When I ran the Pin Shoots at Kimberton I would not take my payout as I thought it was kind of funny to do it, even though I would earn it. With that said, I see no reason that you should not pick from the prize table.

I highly recommend awarding all prizes by a drawing only. Top shooters get all kinds of freebies, give the "common" folk a chance to win a gun and other high-value prizes and give the top shooters another trophy/plaque to add to their "I love me wall".

That's kind of a self serving strategy considering you are a D shooter.

FWIW, top shooters don't get all kinds of freebies in this sport and the vast majority put in A LOT more than they take out on their way to becoming good. On average I'm sure "common" folk put in a lot less, but some still want to take out just as much? That's not just selfish, but worse, it's selfish in a "I didn't earn it" kind of way.

FTR 73% of this community prefer an order of finish distribution of some kind over random drawing: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71470&hl=

Edited by badchad