Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

I won HOA at Ft. Wayne. It could have went to 4 different shooters. I'm glad it was me.

RVB whines about reloading, but as a Master class Production shooter who has beat me often, don't you guys

buy into it. That guy reloads so fast it's easy to miss!!

don't sell yourself short either. You beat me on every stage except the classifier (wtf is up w/ the extra shots?! but that didn't hurt you too bad cause I stank up the classifier too). Your consistancy on the field courses is definately improving.

I'm glad to see you are dryfiring again. I seem to recall getting on your case about that last year when we were talking at fort wayne.

While I'm taking my break from the game and struggling to maintain proficiency, guys like you and Corey and BillD and Nick and Rick will be passing me by, and soon I'll be bragging how I managed to win a stage against you guys (heck, that's what happened this weekend! Thanks for sandbagging the classifier so I could win beat you on one!).

-rvb

ps.. the magnet mag holder huh? no wonder you got me by 4 seconds on that stage while I was stuffing mag after mag into pouches. Gamer. :)

Edited by rvb

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classifier was crap. Prone sucks! I had two misses and called them. One prone. One SH. When I got to WH I was figuring the math in me head and thought it would be worth it. At that point it was just WH practice anyways.

Corey and I thought surely his would come in higher. He did good on it and it doesn't seem like a classifier that would be set up and burned down upping the HHF. Glad he won it.

Glad to hear it's coming along so well for you Chris. :)

Hope to see you at Indy.

Thanks Chris! I hear you talked with Repete. He says he is thinking about EIS training. That's just frigging great, I just closed the gap on him a bit at Warsaw and now he's going to probably make another leap in ability. I guess I better double down,, train train train!!!

The classifier was crap. Prone sucks! I had two misses and called them. One prone. One SH. When I got to WH I was figuring the math in me head and thought it would be worth it. At that point it was just WH practice anyways.

Corey and I thought surely his would come in higher. He did good on it and it doesn't seem like a classifier that would be set up and burned down upping the HHF. Glad he won it.

Prone is definately something I'm guilty of not working on enough, so yea, it sucks. But it seems a select few classifiers are the only time we see it needed. Corey just gave up a few too many points to get into A territory. Looks like he needed 111 points vs his 102. Looking at the hhf on this one, I think it's reasonable.

I know in my case I just flopped mentally. I was thinking and reacting not executing. and by the last 2 strings I started thinking "hurry." I wasn't ready to shoot at all... had been setting up calibrating steel, then ran score sheets, then when given "Make Ready" oops! my gun was back on the safe table... so I was scrambling/hurrying mentally before the buzzer went off.

It happens.

-rvb

It sounds like you are in good hands :cheers:

I do have good shooter support, but Charlie I want your opinions and advice too! I didn't get any video of Ft. Wayne's match but I'll post more vids in the future and expect your comments when you have time. Thanks!!

Shot at Bend. No scores or video. Match had decent stages good variety.

My movement and stage break down felt good. Reloads are getting tons better.

I want to work on trigger control more. This is where I can make some significant progress.

Loaded 300 rounds tonight.

Biked 12 miles. I've been biking a little. I've done 43 miles total in 8 days. I go with a friend who bikes a lot. He slows down for me, but I'm getting better. I can already feel a difference in my lungs.

Tomorrow is trigger work.

Not to be picky, but I think I won the classifier stage

I just now got around reading this and not to be picky like Corey but I came in 3rd with a revolver !!!! :devil:

Brent

Did some trigger work tonight. Above link shows the setup.

I alternated left and right from the box. The goal was to hit each plate on the first shot. The plates are just under 8" and the distance is right at 15 yards.

I guess I'm weird. I could stand and work on trigger control and get it, but in a match I go right back to sloppy trigger work. My idea was to make it as MATCH LIKE as I could. I gotta say that I still need work. I ran over 100 rounds doing this and will continue this drill until I can do it everytime no Mikes.

I started in the box and at the beep I blasted to the side of the wall and shot only six times, trying to go 1 for 1. I hate to say it but my clean runs were few and far between. The time doesn't matter, that's not the focus of the drill. I thought about shooting until all plates were down and comparing times to clean runs, but didn't. I already know that a miss on steel is a time killer. I might in the future just to post it as something for shooters to see.

I want to stay focused on executing the shots and SEEING the target spot while PREPPING and releasing the shot with good trigger work. 1 for 1 is the goal. I thought 15 yards was a good choice on distance. I see problems at that distance on steel for a lot of shooters, myself included.

I might have shot to a good finish on Sunday at Bend, but there was a lot of steel and I just had too many make up shots. I want this to be a problem no more. I am at a point where I am moving pretty good for a 44 year old guy with about 25 extra pounds. IT'S THE SHOOTING STUPID!

Dryfired tonight.

Draws surrender/ relaxed at 5, 10 and 15 yards.

Did table pickups, unloaded starts, barricade right and left, and some pickups using two mags and my magnet. Threw in a couple reloads also.

35 min.

Edited to say: I biked 14 miles, felt good.

Edited by fourtrax

Did my drill, see video above.

I decided to run the drill 15 times, that = 90 shots.

Steel is 8" plates at 15 yards(plate machine).

The purpose is 1 for 1 on the steel. Learning to prep the trigger under match conditions. Learning visual/trigger patience.

I knew running it the first time that I missed a lot, so I kept track tonight in order to establish a baseline. It was an ego killer. I want to ingrain correct trigger control and this is my method. Tonight I shot the drill 15 times, six plates each for

90 shots total. 61 hits. I actually grew so frustrated I almost walked away. I shot 1 clean run out of 15. Uhg! I will keep at it!!

Steel is an unforgiving mistress!

Edited by fourtrax

Did my drill! Much better but still some work! Down 14 for a 76 out of 90. Trigger control is much better and improving. I also ran some bill drills and one shot draws to a plate at 7 yards.

My drill, which I detailed above, is for trigger control. I use a timer for a start signal so I do glance at my times. Happy to report that the times are holding good a little above 5 sec for all runs. This is important as that includes runs with misses( up to 3 ). Those Make-ups would add seconds.

Prepping that trigger and going 1 for 1 on steel is essential for anyone.

I had 6 clean runs, still an ugh! But so much better!!

Edited to add: I biked 38.39 miles this past weekend. It took me 4 hours including some built in breaks of about 30 minutes total. So 3 1/2 total pedal time. My legs felt like noodles.

Edited by fourtrax

Did one shot draws to the A zone at 7 yards. Gosh am I rusty. Got them down in the low 1.teens. Surrender not as good and range in the 1.20-1.30ish range

Did my drill, but not 15 times. I've got limited ammo so I ran it about 6 times. It is coming along nicely. Having the visual patience and good trigger prep/pull is fundamental and getting better for me.

Tonight I also worked on movement using my drill. Moving as quickly as I could at the beep. Then shifting mentally to get the proper trigger execution once I set up.

Sighted in the Cmore at 25 yards.

Shot 5 shot groups at 25 and 50 yards. I'm better on the trigger and improving. My groups are nothing to talk about, but at 25 I'm on an index card for five shots. At 50 I manage the A and C zone.

Ran my drill with my remaining rounds. I didn't holster up or bring the timer so I did them from low ready. I ran it 3 times on each side and managed 4 clean runs out of the 6. So I went 33 for 36.

Warsaw is this weekend, always a good match. I'll work it tomorrow and shoot the heck out of it Sunday!

Rode the bike 15 miles Wednesday and have a 20 mile night ride tonight with 150 other people on a paved walking/bike trail. That will give me 73.39 miles this week.

3rd at Warsaw. Beat by a Master Open shooter and a Master Limited shooter. Overall a good match for me. Stage breakdowns good. I noticed that I was thinking a little on some stages and I want to let that just flow.

I did not get any video. At Warsaw I RO most of the match and never get grooved in video wise. Ft Wayne is next weekend and hopefully VIDEO.

Dryfired 30 min. Worked on snapping the eyes. It felt good. I've got 1/3 size targets for my indoor dryfire.

Did several eyes closed draws and my index is good. Dot consistently in the A zone.

It is hotter than blue blazes and I haven't rode the bicycle since my 20 mile night ride last Friday. Going to have to go tomorrow regardless.

Ft. Wayne this weekend. Last real tune up before Indiana State! Gonna employ some mental management techniques that I used from C to mid B. Let my skills from practice shine through hopefully.

Shot Ft. Wayne today. HOT HOT HOT, no other way to describe it. Don't know if it's my age or what, but the heat and humidity just kill me. Not my best performance. I've even been biking to get more in shape and drop a few pounds, I still feel it after 2 or 3 stages though. Here is some video of a couple of stages.

This is the classifier "SIX". I broke 4 seconds, but could have done better without the miss on the small popper.

I liked this stage. I had a bad grip to start and didn't get that settled until the last position.

Edited by fourtrax

This stage had a tight start, threading the draw through a slim gap, plus a narrow hall way. Impossible not to stick the gun in the gaps. At least for tall guys! Behind the wall at the end was 5 poppers. Those took me 8 shots, unacceptable, but with the heat/humidity, it was what it was. :angry2::angry2: Looking at the vid I get about 3-4 extra seconds on this stage because of those 3 misses.

I really liked this stage. I have to admit, eventhough it was the 3rd of the day, I was wiped out. The end was fun and the target engagement seems a little funky right before my set up, but it was the best for me and allowed a straight through sweep on the last 5 targets.

Edited by fourtrax

Second overall at Ft. Wayne. The match was grueling. I did win a stage and I'm happy about that.

Dryfired tonight indoors. Sweat my ass off in an air conditioned house! Did about 30 minutes. Draws, reloads and hand transfers. I'm coming along on my movement and stage prep. Ft. Wayne was good practice for that. The stages were very cool, lots of options and movement.

I have ACC this weekend then Indiana State.

Dryfired tonight inside. Last I checked it was 107 outside. That's the heat index. Actual temp around 98. Grueling to even be out there.

I did draws, reloads, and reloads with a transfer to weak hand. I spent 20 minutes and then the family came home. I quit for awhile and when they left again I belted up and did another 20 minutes. Felt good. I'm working on the dryfire routine at least 2 times a week. I let the dryfire slide for almost 2 years. Stupid, it was directly responsible for C to A. I want to keep it up this time, while not allowing it to burn me out. Easier said than done.