Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Shot Wildcat today, no video.

Always been kind of a throw away match for me. Rarely are there any Open guys. Mostly IDPA and recreational type shooters.

Lots of long tight shots, no shoots, distance on steel. The stages surprised me. I had two bad runs.

Not wanting to leave on a sour note I reshot the last stage. On my run for score I missed a setup which caused me to shoot a target I'd already engaged and FTE another. My run for fun was much better. Took 4 seconds off the original and my hits were much better. Grip is key!! Left the range on a good note.

Note to self: it's all important, every match.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh, good one!! Of course it's every shot. Thanks brother!

I took a new position at work almost a year ago. The first 6 months was all learning. Then, I was tasked with a trouble department. In this role I am extremely busy. It's been hard to do what I have wanted this past summer. The good news is, I think it's going to get better moving forward.

Shot Warsaw today. Felt like a good match performance. Above is a video of stage one, the only vid I got. You had to really get into the openings and I missed my set up at the first one on the right. This led to a little shuffling, probably about a 2 second error. I shot good pts on the

stage and the 3 others. I did flub the classifier with a Mike, but other than that it was a good match for me. I'll post my finish when the scores are posted.

Looking forwared to the Ft. Wayne Halloween match. Corey and crew have done an outstanding job bringing Ft.

Wayne back from the brink. The matches up there this summer have been fantastic.

I placed 2nd overall behind my team mate Repete Briggs Master Open. I made some headway on my progress, he only got me by 6%. Sounds like alot, but I've been widdling down that % from double digits. This is the first match in 2 years that I've been in the 90's percentage wise when we're both shooting Open. So, kudos to me, lol.

Edited by Chris iliff

Kudo's to you indeed!

And to Corey for his work up north.

Thanks Bill!!

I have heard that a miss/makeup shot can lower your overall match % by 1. This can really hurt you on the " long steel/star stages. Trigger, prep/manipulation/finesse, start taking the toll on us at our level. Repete got me by less than 6% overall. I had more than 6 make up shots on steel throughout the match. I think I know what needs work. I got some great drills I need to work on.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot Warsaw today. Felt like a good match performance. Above is a video of stage one, the only vid I got. You had to really get into the openings and I missed my set up at the first one on the right. This led to a little shuffling, probably about a 2 second error. I shot good pts on the

stage and the 3 others. I did flub the classifier with a Mike, but other than that it was a good match for me. I'll post my finish when the scores are posted.

Looking forwared to the Ft. Wayne Halloween match. Corey and crew have done an outstanding job bringing Ft.

Wayne back from the brink. The matches up there this summer have been fantastic.

I placed 2nd overall behind my team mate Repete Briggs Master Open. I made some headway on my progress, he only got me by 6%. Sounds like alot, but I've been widdling down that % from double digits. This is the first match in 2 years that I've been in the 90's percentage wise when we're both shooting Open. So, kudos to me, lol.

Chris,

I wasn't able to come today, so from only watching your video wonder why you wouldn't have grabbed gun and moved left engaging those targets moving then going up to the opening, back down, take the middle Target and then to the right.

You end up going right then having to go back and cross over the middle section passing an area you already shot.

Yeah, that was tight and would have required shuffling and a stop. Repete and I both thought that getting those three "right then" beat stopping and restarting. The way we did it allowed us to blow right by it full throttle (fat man full throttle, that is), he got me by 1 second on the run. That stage required getting way in the ports. Wish you would have shot it. It was a fun match.

Shot Ft. Wayne today, great match and again kudos to Corey and Ft. Wayne crew.

I shot 94.8% of the points! Up about 1% over last week at Warsaw. I believe I am breaking down stages and moving effectively at my level. I am going to continue focusing on points. This is going to be what I concentrate on.

I think I was the only Open shooter, but I did have some

good competition. There was a Master production shooter and several A shooters in production and single stack as well as some very good B shooters in limited.

I crushed the match. Not to sound cocky, but no one was close. Closest guy was back 18% or so. With my gain on Repete last week at Warsaw and this Ft. Wayne match, I'm definitely moving in the right direction.

I have plenty to work on moving forward. WH/SH needs desperate measures! Lol. Distance/tight shots need work. Getting behind the gun and seeing the DOT on those hoser up close targets needs work. All this is doable.

The season is winding down and today might be my last match until the Florida Open in Febuary. I have Seeklanders book ( awesome ) and using it as a guide for my winter training is underway.

Here is the last stage at Ft. Wayne, only vid I got. My goal was to see the dot on the head shot's (no point shooting). I accomplished this. I can see a glaring mistake right after my reload, I swing to the far left target instead of starting on the head right in front of me over the wall. Probably at least a second for that mistake. I should have went to the tall head shot right in front of me then the one to the left, then to the one I started on, and finally the two low one's. This would have been far more econimical. It would have been a C motion ending on the head at my feet behind the wall.

If you guy's got anything on any vid I post, feel free to comment. It's about learning man!

There was a Master production shooter

Looked up who, expecting to see David R... but Greg P?! Awesome. Ink must not be dry on that M card yet. Wonder if he's on the forum to send a congratulatory note to?? :cheers: for Greg!

I crushed the match. Not to sound cocky, but no one was close. Closest guy was back 18% or so. With my gain on Repete last week at Warsaw and this Ft. Wayne match, I'm definitely moving in the right direction.

Awesome. just awesome. What a great way to end a season, with that feeling.

As we discussed this summer... push youself in practice. get a little out of control. and you can't get it all done w/ live ammo. dryfire the crap outta that gun. let's see an AGRESSIVE Chris I next season! :)

-rvb

Sounds like you had a good match. At least someone did, haha. I was trying to push it a little to hard and had a couple M's and a NS I shouldn't have. That and a classifier that could possibly be the worst Ive shot to date and yea... you dominated! I did shoot my stage (stage 4) quite well time-wise and then saw you beat me by quite a bit :sight:. Out of curiosity, how did you shoot it?

Im looking to pick up Seeklander's book soon as well for some winter training. :cheers:

There was a Master production shooter

Looked up who, expecting to see David R... but Greg P?! Awesome. Ink must not be dry on that M card yet. Wonder if he's on the forum to send a congratulatory note to?? :cheers: for Greg!

Awesome. just awesome. What a great way to end a season, with that feeling.

As we discussed this summer... push youself in practice. get a little out of control. and you can't get it all done w/ live ammo. dryfire the crap outta that gun. let's see an AGRESSIVE Chris I next season! :)

-rvb

Ryan,

Greg is a member (4.5Fingershooter) on here but never posts......He doesn't have enough fingers to type !!

Sounds like you had a good match. At least someone did, haha. I was trying to push it a little to hard and had a couple M's and a NS I shouldn't have. That and a classifier that could possibly be the worst Ive shot to date and yea... you dominated! I did shoot my stage (stage 4) quite well time-wise and then saw you beat me by quite a bit :sight:. Out of curiosity, how did you shoot it?

Im looking to pick up Seeklander's book soon as well for some winter training. :cheers:

I took a quick step to my right (maybe two) and engaged the targets behind the wall section. My position allowed me to rotate at my knees and lean a little to get the far back target behind the barrel and the others to the center back barrel. Then it was one or two steps and I was shooting the targets through the ports as I transitioned left to right. (never got real close to the port). Then an easy sidestep to clear the wall and I started in the center backtarget by the barrel and worked my way to the back left target by barrel. At this point Ive been creeping back until I can get the 2 left targets behind the wall. That was the least movement for me. I was shooting almost the whole time, but I did pay respect to the two no shoot targets in back.

I've really been THINKING about trigger control and target respect. I haven't been practicing, but the visualization is paying huge dividends. So, I guess that is practice in a way.

Going to RO the State match at Atlanta this weekend. Not going to shoot, just RO. Should be a good time.

After many years of doing both, shooting/ROing, I've determined that for me it should be one or the other at anything above a club match.

I have been dissatisfied with my performance when trying to do both, so that is not going to happen in the future. From here on out, it's going to be one or the other.

I would RO staff at big shoots, but I'm going to be shooting on a regular squad if I do. I really liked how Jake/Coach ran the Indiana match for staff. It almost felt like a normal match for me. Hopefully that will be how it's done in the future.

Got my confirmation for shooting/ROing the Florida Open from Manny. I've been waiting for awhile and I'm glad I was accepted.

I have always had my eye on this match. It draws shooters from around the world. This is on my short list of must go to matches.

I Dryfired tonight. Did transitions. Did SH/WH. Also I did mag changes. I ALWAYS start stages with a 170 mag then reload to a 140. This has caused some stage plans that I just wasn't comfortable with. So, I practiced reloading to my big stick. Doesn't happen often, but I want the ability if I think the stage might be shot better. It's a small thing, but could be big at some point.

I also did some strength training using my gun. Just how long can you hold your gun WH or SH while aiming?