Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single or Dual mag pouch

johnbh

Question never ever shooting w/ mags on belt. Better to

go w/ individual mag pouches or dual. Easier pulling

mags out of single pouch or does it make no diffrence.

Thanks

Edited by johnbh

What are you shooting?

For production division, I think its best to find pouches that get your mags close together, and if you are really serious about it, farther away from your body. I think the CR Speed pouches are the way to go. You can still be competitive with uncle mikes or similar double mag pouches. That is the way to go since they are inexpensive and then when you get more experience under your belt, you can make a more informed decision on what pouches you really want. Chances are you will get a new gun and have to buy new pouches anyway.

Randy

for idpa a double mag pouch is fine, as you can only carry 3 mage...period 1 in the gun, and 2 on the belt, as was mentioned earlier 2 separate pouches mite be easier to get at the mags because you can space them a lil apart from each other

I prefer single mag pouches for IDPA. Two reasons for me: singles give me more options to position the mag pouches with regard to the belt loops, and secondly so I can space them out properly to where I can grab the mag with my forefinger in the same position each time.

As long as they are legal, I like single pouches much better because you can get use the exact same grip for each mag.

be

Really learning this right now with production and doubles. Think I'll be buying singles next season. I really need to get that finger in the right place every time to be consistent.

I kinda thought of single rather than double, felt it would be easier for me

to get a hold of. Just needed to get some input, what would be the best. The people that compete on this forum are awesome competitors.I have alot of respect for them. I try to keep my posts simple. Some times I ramble on. I really look forward to competing myself.

Thanks

John

Edited by johnbh

I actually run both. I have 2 single Blackhawk carriers that are in front of an Uncle Mikes double mag carrier, and then even behind that is a Maxpedition double mag pouch that I fold the flaps in on. The maxpedition usually doesnt get used, other than holding my number one mag with 11 rounds in it in the very last spot. After its loaded in my pistol that leaves 5 mags on my belt, and I know if I have to grab the one out of the maxpedition that those are my last 10 rounds and I better make them count.

I prefer single mag pouches for IDPA. Two reasons for me: singles give me more options to position the mag pouches with regard to the belt loops, and secondly so I can space them out properly to where I can grab the mag with my forefinger in the same position each time.

+1 on this. When I first started out I used a double and quickly found out I didn't like it because it limits how/where you wear it, as well as causing you not to be able to grab the rear mag with your forefinger extended.

I kinda thought of single rather than double, felt it would be easier for me

to get a hold of. Just needed to get some input, what would be the best. The people that compete on this forum are awesome competitors.I have alot of respect for them. I try to keep my posts simple. Some times I ramble on. I really look forward to competing myself.

Thanks

John

Depends on what game you are shooting, IDPA versus USPSA. It also depends on what division you are shooting in USPSA.

For IDPA, I would recommend anything from Comp-Tac, the General Manager is a Master class IDPA shooter and understands the needs of shooters. For USPSA, I would recommend getting a full CR-Speed rig -- belt, holster, and mag pouches ... expect to spend some $$$ though.

Best thing to do is check out the equipment of folks you are shooting with at matches. I've yet to find anyone in this sport who will not let you look at their equipment and talk to you about it.

Welcome to the sport, have fun, and be safe.

Absolutely! Get the DOH model which is the sting ray with a drop/ offset bracket. You can run straight SR in IDPA and run it with the DOH bracket for USPSA production. Two holsters in one! Besides the DOH pretty much dominates production.

I agree with sarge, Blade Tech makes a good product at a reasonable price. You will pretty much have this stuff trashed once you get good enough to need something better. IMO, Comptac makes great stuff for IDPA, and CR speed is the way to go for USPSA.

Springfield also makes a cheap double mag holder they include with their 45's, it works good and is very cheap, it should work with any single stack 45 mag.

I carry a lot of mags on my belt...because I miss a lot :) I use singles towards the front but to save space, I use a double towards the back. Once they get so far around, it really doesn't matter if they are single or double. Normally, singles are the way to go and only use those for IPSC. My double is a BT and pretty nice though.