Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choose Your Own Adventure

We shot a stage stoday where the last array was engaged from around a corner. From the corner there were two targets about 12 yards away behind a 4 foot tall barricade. Also from the corner you could only see the upper A/B and a couple inches of the C zone.

You have the option to:

1) Run the 11 yards to the barricade reach over it and have access to the "entire" (see Note below) targets from about 4 away feet reaching over a 4 foot barricade.

2) Shoot at the upper A/B's while moving at it.

3) Stand at the corner and shoot at the upper A/B's.

Which would you do?

Note: There was a no shoot between the two targets covering one side of the C and D zones of each target and the upper edge of the barricade is lined with no shoots as well.

Additional note: "upper A/B" is also referred to as the "head" for the politically incorrect.

Time for some 1st degree math:

11 yds rush from standing to 1st shot= 1.8/2 secs (if you are in good phisical shape, 2.5 seconds or more if you are in not-so-good shape).

3 more swift shots to the targets = .60 secs (but my splits and transitions usually suck, not able to do it in .60)

Total 2.5 secs minimum.

4 shots from standing in the corner: 2.1 secs from 1st to last shot (.7 splits).

If the situation you're describing was the last shooting position in the stage, I'd shoot from the corner. If this is not the case, i'd probably run down the barricade.

Guest Larry Cazes

In the situation you've described with ONLY head shots available from 12 yards, I would generally sprint up to the array and shoot the first one or two shots on the move if possible.

It would likely depend on what I was doing just before the corner.

You had just finished shooting through a low barrel that required everyone to go down on a knee or squat. From the barrel to the corner is about 6 feet.

If the situation you're describing was the last shooting position in the stage

This was the last shooting position of the stage.

I'm with skywalker...do the math.

Figure out how many points you can get from standing back and shooting heads vs. how many points you get from shooting another way (running up or shooting while moving up). Then figure the time difference and do the match.

But...to throw a wrinkle into this...

I might just as well have shot the last array from the corner...before...going to the low port. ;)

The difference in times between me (kept running up, took one target while slowing and one while stopped, dropped a C) and ong45 (stopped around the corner, dropped 3 or 4 Bs?) was a second. But I think he was faster elsewhere on the stage.

I might just as well have shot the last array from the corner...before...going to the low port.  ;)

I think I can hear angels singing in the background as I read this quote. If you are going to shoot from the corner anyway running it like this would save the time and effort from having to get back up while the clock is running (obviously).

Thanks Flexmoney! I hadn't considered that and this is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.

More comments welcome.

I'm off to post something on "What I Like - this forum and the people in it" now.

There is a classic video of a nationals stage waaaayy back when (maybe BE remembers it :) ) anyway, the stage was a wall on the 180 with some stuff on the right, some stuff on the left and a very low port in the middle.

Bunch of good shooters come through, shoot right, get down for the middle, get up and shoot the left.

Chip McCormick (I think it was Chip) shoots right, goes all the way left, comes back, drops prone and shoots the middle... beats everybody else by many seconds.

Getting up is slow.

Unfortunately, doing the math doesn't always work. I would need to see the exact layout and the shots. Head shots at 12 yards with a lot of white can slow the second shot and the transition down a lot more than people think. Add to that the time required to obtain the first shot... Anyhow, from what you describe, I would take the head shots.

We had a stage in Jackson, WY last summer that had us running up to a port and shooting, then going to another port, then opening a door. I got cute with my open blaster and shot the first array as I slowly moved by the first port, then I shot through the second port from afar from a sweetspot, and finished by opening the door. I lost that stage to several shooters who are several classes below me. My math sucked. It would have been much faster to charge up close and go into hose mode.

You know what I just realized? I know my splits and transition times at various distances, and I can estimate a speed shoot or standard string to the half-second, sometimes field courses within a second, but I don't have any idea how much time it takes me to run any distance.