Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C More STS vs Railway

joestefano

Has anyone compared the C More STS and a Railway type sight? Any preference? If so which & why.

OUCH, I have :sight: read my forum:

Witness Hunter not happy with Red Dot Sight mount design

THANKS to the lack of current and/or forthcoming info being provided by EAA and/or C-More on the STS subject.. I am still in the process of what should have been a simple mounting to pre-taped frame holes, of a practical sight on my Tanfoglio 6"barrel 10m/m Witness Hunter ..

Not to mention a waste of between $140 and $350 (yet to be determined) in the process of connecting a pistol to a mount then to a adaptor then to a sight.. :excl:

post-24735-127438934138_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127438977587_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127438988274_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

Railway....the STS is fine for a slide mounted sight. But if you are talking a true open gun then a frame mounted C-more (railway) is easier to shoot fast. I have a STS mounted on a CZ which I use for 3gun so I do not have to mess with a "open" holster. I have a easier time picking up the 8moa of the railway compared to the 7moa of the STS.

I'm still searching for the "perfect" sight. Briefly tried a C-more Serendipity, but seemed so big and clunky, and the sides were cracking? Now have a Burris Fast-Fire, great sight when I can find the dot. What to look at next??

I tried the STS. I had problems with the dot washing out when the sun was over my shoulder (this was even with the setting on Full). You just can't beat the standard C-More.

By the way, I made a couple custom mounts for the STS. I think I still have them at home and would be willing to sell them. One has been drilled for the 5 hole pattern and the other is unfinished and can be drilled for whatever. Let me know if anyone wants these.

The one that has the 5 holes put the scope behind the ejection port. It was also cut to work on a slide that was flattopped about 30 thou. Also notice that there are two steel keenserts that would prevent the screw from stripping the aluminum.

The second mount is an improvement over the first design. I basically reworked the shape so it didn't have the little leg extending over to the 5th screw.

Darren

STS3.jpg

STS4.jpg

If you are looking for a small optic with dot quality equal to or better than the Cmore railway I think think an obvious contender would be the Aimpoint Micro. They have not been received particularly well in USPSA but more so in SC. Not sure why. It does have a small window and the admission price for the ride is pretty dang steep if it turns out you don't like it. Also none of the top dogs other than BJ are using one so no "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" phenomenon. Still, if you are bankrolled well it would be on my short list to try.

I have not had a good experience with the STS. If you tighten the sight mount down sufficiently to hold It in place the dot goes away. If you loosen it up enough to keep the dot from turning off, the sight gets loose and you lose your zero. (in a slide mounted configuration, anyway). I have had it for about 3 months and I got it set up for a while and din't have any problems for a little while but the window between tight enough and too tight is too small.

All of these problems happened to me in the middle of a major area match. You do have to go to a different holster to run a frame mounted sight but it is worth it to have one that you are confident in. Not to mention the acquisition is much faster with a railway over a STS.

If you are looking at a true Open Gun then a C-More with 90 degree mount is the way to go...

....or you can get creative to try something like this.

I found this configuration works best for me vs a C-more.

post-12164-127627297992_thumb.jpg

post-12164-127627334644_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

GET the New RHT bridge from S.Africa :)

I tried the STS. I had problems with the dot washing out when the sun was over my shoulder (this was even with the setting on Full). You just can't beat the standard C-More.

By the way, I made a couple custom mounts for the STS. I think I still have them at home and would be willing to sell them. One has been drilled for the 5 hole pattern and the other is unfinished and can be drilled for whatever. Let me know if anyone wants these.

The one that has the 5 holes put the scope behind the ejection port. It was also cut to work on a slide that was flattopped about 30 thou. Also notice that there are two steel keenserts that would prevent the screw from stripping the aluminum.

The second mount is an improvement over the first design. I basically reworked the shape so it didn't have the little leg extending over to the 5th screw.

Darren

STS3.jpg

STS4.jpg