Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When will they ever learn...?

I happen to have access to numerous novels by John Lescroart at the moment... he writes crime/legal/LEO fiction and the stories are set in San Francisco (my homie) so the settings and landmarks are warmly familiar. HOWEVER: He keeps referring to "clips" and "automatics" to describe MAGAZINES and SEMI-AUTOMATIC handguns, for cryin' out loud. He (and a lot of other authors of that general genre) do this all too often and it drives me absolutely nutz. :rolleyes::angry2:

Finished "Pallbearers" by Stephen J. Cannell last month. Same kind of references like clip and, this is an interesting one, "checked the breech of his Beretta for a loaded round". <_< Hmmmmm....

I contacted the authors office via email to bring this to light in a light hearted way. I was surprised to get a response the next day. They seemed genuinely appreciative and thanked me for the constructive criticism. Asked for my name and address and got very cool t-shirt as a thank you gift.

The book was OK but the t-shirt was better. :)

That's cool Jman. I tried the same thing with ABC news and got nothing. No reply, no shirt, nadda. You'd think that a news anchor on a major network would get it right. :wacko:

Send him an email! Show him this! Thank G-Man for the pic!

Oh my gosh that's funny!

I read a book the other day where a guy "took the safety off his Glock" before shooting at the bad guys.

We may've even been reading the same book! I saw a similar remark in a recent paperback. I kept re-reading the line, making sure I was seeing what I was seeing! <_<

I also saw (in the same book at the time) a remark about 'taking the safety off his/her Sig'... Well, that looks good on paper to the uninformed, but Sigs don't exactly have "safeties", they have de-cockers, which are whole different animal--so the term "safety" isn't exactly correct at all. :rolleyes:

Trouble is, I see these terms mis-used so often that I wonder just how much research these authors have done! Or whether the people they've consulted with knew anything about anything. Sheesh.

Send him an email! Show him this! Thank G-Man for the pic!

Oh my gosh that's funny!

I read a book the other day where a guy "took the safety off his Glock" before shooting at the bad guys.

Well.... If you want to get technical, when one depresses the trigger safety they are essentially taking the gun off "safe". :ph34r:

<_< What's the big deal?

I'd write more but I need to swing by the gunstore to buy a couple clips for my Glock 26.

If you carry an auto, you should have at least one spare clip with you at all times.

If you are not putting your Glock auto on safe, you're irresponsible, by the way.

A lot of people avoid them because of their hair triggers.

To be honest, most of the time when I leave the house, I'd rather take my H.P. because of its "to hell and back" reliability.

Just my $ 0.02. :rolleyes:

I also saw (in the same book at the time) a remark about 'taking the safety off his/her Sig'... Well, that looks good on paper to the uninformed, but Sigs don't exactly have "safeties", they have de-cockers, which are whole different animal--so the term "safety" isn't exactly correct at all. :rolleyes:

Was it possibly a SIG 1911?

BTW, if you're tired of books where the characters flip off the safeties on their revolvers, and you want to read a hardcore, blood 'n' guts supernatural adventure novel where ALL the gun stuff is done right, I highly recommend Monster Hunter International. The author, Larry Correia, is an experienced 3-Gun competitor - and it shows. On top of his gun knowledge, Correia is just one hell of a novelist. Action scenes, characterization, dialogue, humor - this guy can do it all.

BTW, the sequel is due out in September.

BTW, if you're tired of books where the characters flip off the safeties on their revolvers, and you want to read a hardcore, blood 'n' guts supernatural adventure novel where ALL the gun stuff is done right, I highly recommend Monster Hunter International. The author, Larry Correia, is an experienced 3-Gun competitor - and it shows. On top of his gun knowledge, Correia is just one hell of a novelist. Action scenes, characterization, dialogue, humor - this guy can do it all.

BTW, the sequel is due out in September.

On the Monster Hunter International book:

I liked the book a lot and good to hear about the sequel!

On "Clips" Vs Mags:

I was watching the Deadliest Warrior TV show the other night and cringed every time the "Expert" called a Mag a Clip.... "We gave him three CLIPS for his Assault rifle... " :wacko:

that deadliest warrior show can be kinda sketchy at times. I like the show in general, but there have been a few matchups where I just stared at my tv in disbelief wwhen they said who would win...