Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TA11-HG Acog - Quick review and impressions!

Socal

I received a couple PM's regarding this optic after a post I made a while back. The TA11 HG is the 3.5x35mm ACOG with the Green Horseshoe reticle with BDC out to 1k yards i believe. After I sighted in the optic on my 16" LaRue as per Trijicons instructions, I ran my first 3-gun match this last weekend. All I can say is I am impressed. We ran 3 rifle stages with targets ranging from 5 yards to 300 yards. I made all first round hits on all targets past 100 yards, and had no problem whatsoever quickly engaging close range targets for double-taps. Up close, if you focus on your target while keeping a good cheek weld, All i saw was a nice green horseshoe that I threw on center mass of the IDPA targets and squeezed off 2 rounds. Very very fast. I believe I was only down 3 points all day on the rifle courses. Best thing is no batteries! One guy had an aimpoint go down (dead battery in a comp m3) at the beginning of his run and had to switch to irons!!!

The green reticle is easy to pickup, and the eye relief on the tA11 is more than adequate for run and gun type stuff. On the long targets, it felt like cheating. I was shooting MK262 clone ammo which already shoots sub moa out of that rifle, so making hits on silhouettes was cake.

After going through an Aimpoint, Eotech, Leupold CQ/T... This is the optic!!!! I would urge anyone to check it out. I picked up mine from Larue Tactical which means it came with their bad ass quick release mount. They are not listed on their website so you have to call.

Anymore questions, feel free to PM!

I have the regular TA-11 (donut) and like it a lot. I got the front lens cover that turns it into an occulated sight for close targets.

What does the cover do? Does it make the site 1X somehow? I don't know what an occulated site is...

with both eyes open, and the cover over the lens, the dot is still illuminated and is superimposed on your target.

Davidwiz-

I was looking at getting that cover, how is the quality?

Very well made. Not had any problems with it. The cover flips open and closed easily and stays open or closed.

If it is the same as the old Progressive Machine covers, they they are rock solid. Buy with confidence. I had one on a TA11 when I ran one.

Davidwiz-

I was looking at getting that cover, how is the quality?

Very well made. Not had any problems with it. The cover flips open and closed easily and stays open or closed.

If it is the same as the old Progressive Machine covers, they they are rock solid. Buy with confidence. I had one on a TA11 when I ran one.

I have the one made by Progressive Machine. The ones being sold by Brownells look exactly the same but by a different vendor.

I special ordered a red TA-11H. On my JP-15, it is like cheating. After I mounted it, I had to click it left 2 clicks and I was sighted in. I have shot it out to 400 yards at our local match here and when I do my part it's dead on at that range. This weekend I am trying it out to 600 yards with my handloads...

GDW

I have the regular TA-11 (donut) and like it a lot. I got the front lens cover that turns it into an occulated sight for close targets.

What does the cover do? Does it make the site 1X somehow? I don't know what an occulated site is...

with both eyes open, and the cover over the lens, the dot is still illuminated and is superimposed on your target.

Can anyone clarify more how this works? I guess I cannot picture it?

Can anyone clarify more how this works? I guess I cannot picture it?

The cover blacks out the magnified image that you would normally see through the optic via your right eye, however the illuminated reticle remains in view. Your left eye picks up the full field of view as you would normally see (i.e. unmagnified). So the idea of the cover is to lessen the confusion from seeing a magnified image (right eye through optic) as well as an unmagnified image (left eye by itself), but your right eye still picks up the illuminated reticle and so it appears to be superimposed over the target, allowing you to aim.

Using a cover might be a drag on stages where you need to shoot both short range and long range targets, so it still behooves you to practice shooting close range with or without a cover.

our OP here, Socal, has really put the bug in my ear now about getting an ACOG. so I did a key word search of titles...just titles for "ACOG".

I think I got back 60 results...nah...I didn't reaD them all, but what I did read waS, combined, like a cliff's notes version of the bindon aiming concept.

if you're that interested, I suppose you could do a key word search for "bindon" or "BAC" and brush up on it that way.

back in my undergrad days, I did some human factors relaTed research an apache or cobra helicopter pilots's adaptability to looking through that "monocle" with just one eye. it wAs like a mini heads up display, but just projected to one eye.

some pilots in training would suffer from a phenomenon caLled "retinal rivaLry".

so the "con" discussions here on using a front lens cover on an ACOG to force someone's eyes into a BAC situation reminded me of what these pilots were experiencing. I would imagine if there are any negaTives to using a cover (the hits are Actually landing to the right and up from the perceived point of aim) then i'd say retinaL rivalry is to blame.

(nicholas cage made some cheesey movie called fire birds. his character was an aPache student pillot who IIRC had a bad cAse of retinal rivalry).

our OP here, Socal, has really put the bug in my ear now about getting an ACOG. so I did a key word search of titles...just titles for "ACOG".

I think I got back 60 results...nah...I didn't reaD them all, but what I did read waS, combined, like a cliff's notes version of the bindon aiming concept.

if you're that interested, I suppose you could do a key word search for "bindon" or "BAC" and brush up on it that way.

back in my undergrad days, I did some human factors relaTed research an apache or cobra helicopter pilots's adaptability to looking through that "monocle" with just one eye. it wAs like a mini heads up display, but just projected to one eye.

some pilots in training would suffer from a phenomenon caLled "retinal rivaLry".

so the "con" discussions here on using a front lens cover on an ACOG to force someone's eyes into a BAC situation reminded me of what these pilots were experiencing. I would imagine if there are any negaTives to using a cover (the hits are Actually landing to the right and up from the perceived point of aim) then i'd say retinaL rivalry is to blame.

(nicholas cage made some cheesey movie called fire birds. his character was an aPache student pillot who IIRC had a bad cAse of retinal rivalry).

The use of the front lens cover doesn't "force" someone into using the BAC. The BAC works just fine - the front lens cover basically turns the scope into a 1x red dot sight, an occluded sight if you will, such as the Armson OEG.

Great info, I am ready to actually buy my first optic, anywhere with a best price? or is this one recommended for a new shooter.?

I'd start with a Want To Buy ad here or on the USPSA classifieds.

hey...socal... I know I asked you this via PM...so don't take it the wrong way that I am asking the greater assmebly here out on the public forum...

it's just that I can all too easily get buyer's guilt or remorse for something that expensive...that I'd rather hear a multitude of opinions/experiences.

just how important is it thaT you match the particular ACOG to your rifle's barrel length and bullet weight in order to get the respective BDC reticles to still jive up?

thanks in advance!