Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I avoid standing reloads?

Stradawhovious

Again, sorry if this belongs somewhere else..... Feel free to move if it does.

I have shot a grand total of 2...... count them 2....... USPSA matches now. The one thing I have learned (other than finding the front sight on the move is harder than I thought) is that trying to avoid a standing reload is really difficult for the revo crew. Are there any exercises, techniques, etc involved in breaking a stage down for more effecient use of time on the reload......... or is it something that simply comes with time and needs to be tolerated for the first several matches. It's really difficult for me to get this information on site since I seem to be one of about four revo shooters in the state of MN.

Also, I'm a little concerned about the 180 rule with switching hands on the reload..... Are there tricks to this, or do I simply need to be extremely aware of my surroundings. There have been some strings where while shooting my barrel is safely within the 180 line, but swingin the revo up to eject the clip with the off hand would breech it. I have found myself turning off target to complete the reload and coming back which seemt to cost time.

Thanks!

Load up some dummy rounds and practice your reloads while on the move in your house. I'll run all over the house practicing my moving reloads with my fiancee wandering what the heck I'm doing and my cat chasing after the dummy moon loaded moonclips hitting the ground, as long as the neighbors do not see me running around the house carrying a gun and call the cops I could care less ha ha. Anyways dry fire practice with DUMMY rounds helps alot and most of us took a while to get the hang of reloading on the move.

Move. :devil:

Walked right into that one, didn't I.......... :lol:

Ok, let me be more clear. The issue isn't performing the reload on the move..... It breaking down the stage to make sure I'm performing the reload on the move. I'm physically capable, but mentally challenged. (There ya go folks, opened another door for ya!)

Many stages are set up with 4 targets in an area, thus you must do a reload, try to plan your shots so that the last target (after your first 6 shots) is engageable while leaving the area, also make every shot count, as you have none to spare, good luck

Again, sorry if this belongs somewhere else..... Feel free to move if it does.

I have shot a grand total of 2...... count them 2....... USPSA matches now. The one thing I have learned (other than finding the front sight on the move is harder than I thought) is that trying to avoid a standing reload is really difficult for the revo crew. Are there any exercises, techniques, etc involved in breaking a stage down for more effecient use of time on the reload......... or is it something that simply comes with time and needs to be tolerated for the first several matches. It's really difficult for me to get this information on site since I seem to be one of about four revo shooters in the state of MN.

Also, I'm a little concerned about the 180 rule with switching hands on the reload..... Are there tricks to this, or do I simply need to be extremely aware of my surroundings. There have been some strings where while shooting my barrel is safely within the 180 line, but swingin the revo up to eject the clip with the off hand would breech it. I have found myself turning off target to complete the reload and coming back which seemt to cost time.

Thanks!

The answer to the original question posed is "shoot open". Standing reloads in USPSA are a fact of life for revolver and the tiring part of many courses is the repetitive shoot six, reload, shoot two. The art of revolver shooting is minimizing the standing reloads, and, as you probably have learned by now, not missing.

You have also learned that body movement during the reload can get your barrel in a compromising position. You are ahead of the game knowing that. A wise thing to do is to be able to reload with either hand. That way you can minimize your exposure to the dreaded 180. Barrel position during the reload is something that always has to be considered however you reload. It is part of our game and our game is more cerebral. That is why it is more fun. And, of course, better a little time lost than a DQ.

You seem to be thinking of the things you need to be thinking about. Have fun.

Load up some dummy rounds and practice your reloads while on the move in your house. I'll run all over the house practicing my moving reloads with my fiancee wandering what the heck I'm doing and my cat chasing after the dummy moon loaded moonclips hitting the ground, as long as the neighbors do not see me running around the house carrying a gun and call the cops I could care less ha ha. Anyways dry fire practice with DUMMY rounds helps alot and most of us took a while to get the hang of reloading on the move.

Man I sure thought I was the only one doing this kind of stuff. Girl thinks I am crazy. :roflol:

One thought: How accurate are you? If you have good long-range accuracy, it can open up possibilities that others miss. As a general rule I try to never leave any rounds in the gun, if a position has 4 rounds I look for somewhere to put those other two rounds before leaving the position. If you can leave an 8 round position and pick it up later, that can work as well. You can also use these methods to plan your extra rounds to be available when shooting steel, always a good thing.

And then sometimes you just have to eat the reload. :) It doesn't always have to be a waste, though. Use the reload to gain better exit position; I've tested on the timer and a little bit of body lean and flex in the legs saves a shocking amount of time between positions.

H.

One thought: How accurate are you?

I've only been shooting revo for a couple of months, so my accuracy isn't up to par, but it's getting better fast. The hard part for me is tha the trigger is worlds different than my 1911 :surprise: . I will certainly keep this tip in mind for when the shots tighten up.

Thanks!

Edited by Stradawhovious

Man I sure thought I was the only one doing this kind of stuff. Girl thinks I am crazy. :roflol:

HA!!!! Hardly! In addition to running all over the house practicing reloads and making my dog crazy, I have taken to videotaping holster work and reloads in slow motion for analisys.

Yep.... My dork flag is proudly flying high.

Many stages are set up with 4 targets in an area, thus you must do a reload, try to plan your shots so that the last target (after your first 6 shots) is engageable while leaving the area, also make every shot count, as you have none to spare, good luck

John Z makes a very valid point. To see the oppurtunities one must get away from the tunnel vision that shooting Revos can cause. One step left, right, forward, or back make open up many new tactics.

The answer to the original question posed is "shoot open". Standing reloads in USPSA are a fact of life for revolver and the tiring part of many courses is the repetitive shoot six, reload, shoot two. The art of revolver shooting is minimizing the standing reloads, and, as you probably have learned by now, not missing.

You seem to be thinking of the things you need to be thinking about. Have fun.

And as Underlug mentions "Don't fear the standing reload" just know when there is absolutely no other way. Then cheat. :ph34r:

I just accept that I will have to make standing reloads sometime during a match. I try to take advantage of every position that a stage has, and engage as many targets as I can. My accuracy is generally really good, and it is my (foot)speed that I have to work more on. I try to get to a position as fast as I can, and control my breathing to minimize the effects of my increase in that and heart rate on my shooting.

Yeah mine usualy is on her laptop and watching tv while I'm running all through out the house with my revo clicking away and moonclips all over the place ha ha.

The fact must be faced that with a Revo you will be making static reloads.

You can plan your movements based on picking up targets at different positions, which will help.

But it can get confusing, and some courses are real memory tests as it is. When faced with that issue, Keep It Simple and don't get lost.

As for long range shots, you need to know your times to take a 25+ yd shot vs a 5 or 10 yard shot and know your reloading times. Sometimes it is worth the long shot and others it's not. It's a balance of speed and accuracy after all and a 30 yd miss without a reload isn't always better than a 3 second reload and an "A".

That's part of what the appeal, and what repels others, in Revo. You actually have to start looking harder at courses, kind of what the M & GM's do as a normal part of their course prep in any of the Divisions.

Also remember everyone in Revo is limited to that 6 shot standard, makes it a bit easier to take when you know everyone else is doing it. I've also yet found a Revo Competitor that wouldn't gladly offer advice on the better way to attack a course.

Edited by pskys2