Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight in for slugs or shot?

Alaskapopo

Try to get a choke that does both, and then silver solder it into your barrel. That way you won't be tempted to switch. Thats what I did with my Lt Mod years ago. It gives centered shot patterns and centered slug hits...more trial and error for you on those long lonely Alaska non-nights. KurtM

problem is, unless you have a rifled barrel, slugs have the ballistics of a brick.....you can get it close, but a nats @ss I don't think so, not with a smooth bore.

I have not grouped my Saiga from R&R yet. But my Benelli will shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards. Sounds like with the Saiga I will be sighting in with slugs. Thanks for the Advice Kurt and THM7 . So you never change chokes for different stages?

Pat

problem is, unless you have a rifled barrel, slugs have the ballistics of a brick.....you can get it close, but a nats @ss I don't think so, not with a smooth bore.

I have not grouped my Saiga from R&R yet. But my Benelli will shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards. Sounds like with the Saiga I will be sighting in with slugs. Thanks for the Advice Kurt and THM7 . So you never change chokes for different stages?

Pat

Kurt does not have time to change chokes, he is too bussy.....unsure.gif Oh never mind

Pat

my point exactly, you can put a target out and put a paster, and shoot it with shot and find out where the hot area is at certain distances. When I say hot area I am talking about the area where the concentration of pellets is the greatest, and you can get a rough idea of where you are hitting. If the hot area completly covers your paster, then you are good to go with shot!

Improved Cylinder is what I use 90% of the time...also with the Saiga I use a close in Zero for the slugs. I am talking 12 yards....I found that I was hitting low with birdshot with a longer slug zero. So I zero slugs (close), and the birdshot hits where it is supposed to for the majority of shooting we do in 3gun (poppers, plates, clays). At 100 yards I hit a bit low with the slugs, but I have not found it to be a issue. Also depends on the ammo...I use Win Reduced Velocity.

Improved Cylinder is what I use 90% of the time...also with the Saiga I use a close in Zero for the slugs. I am talking 12 yards....I found that I was hitting low with birdshot with a longer slug zero. So I zero slugs (close), and the birdshot hits where it is supposed to for the majority of shooting we do in 3gun (poppers, plates, clays). At 100 yards I hit a bit low with the slugs, but I have not found it to be a issue. Also depends on the ammo...I use Win Reduced Velocity.

Do you change the power setting on your Saiga when you shoot slugs or do you leave it on the lower power setting with the reduced velocity slugs.

Pat

Keep in mind you have 3 types of ammo: Slugs, buck, and bird. The secret for keeping the slugs and buck to the same POI for me has been using the same projectile weights and the same fps. There are some differences of opinion as to what the proper sight picture should be on a shotgun for bird but I tend to end up with the need to shoot steel at the 6pm position with bird shot if my slug and buck are set up for 50 yards. For the aerial targets we shoot in 3 gun I tend to think this is an advantage since it keeps the center of the pattern above the muzzle plane.

But my Benelli will shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards.

Pat

You might want to try some different slugs then... <_< Winlite in mine gives significantly smaller groups at 100yds than that. But I expieremented around a bit before settling on them. Tried Rem reduced recoil (sucked, minute of barn at 100yd), Fiocchi (does great in my winchesters but about 12" low and 9" left with the spaghetti slinger), federal powerball and winlite. the federals and winchesters shot sooo close to each other that you could mix and match and get the same results. But, the winchesters have less felt recoil.

to post an answer to your original question: actually i did neither. :rolleyes: My benelli with IC and lite mod runs slugs very close to the same spot, both slightly left at 100yds, but patterns shot right where i want it to be, so i get by without sighting in for shot. every once in a while a blind hog finds an acorn.

No Pat, I never change chokes. I would have to carry a welding set around in order to do so....it,s that silver solder thing that makes it harder than ususal to remove the Lt. Mod. that is soldered in and has been since 97. :roflol:

I have 10/22 sights on my gun zerod for slugs. Shot goes pretty close to the same place but then again you don't really used the same sight picture for shot as you do for slugs.

But my Benelli will shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards.

Pat

You might want to try some different slugs then... <_< Winlite in mine gives significantly smaller groups at 100yds than that. But I expieremented around a bit before settling on them. Tried Rem reduced recoil (sucked, minute of barn at 100yd), Fiocchi (does great in my winchesters but about 12" low and 9" left with the spaghetti slinger), federal powerball and winlite. the federals and winchesters shot sooo close to each other that you could mix and match and get the same results. But, the winchesters have less felt recoil.

to post an answer to your original question: actually i did neither. :rolleyes: My benelli with IC and lite mod runs slugs very close to the same spot, both slightly left at 100yds, but patterns shot right where i want it to be, so i get by without sighting in for shot. every once in a while a blind hog finds an acorn.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned 3 M4S90's.

All of them LOVED IC or MOD chokes and Remington 000 Buckshot (both 3" and 2.75", although the 2.75" did a little better).

They all shot buck and slugs to the same POA, or within 2" at 25 yards. I sighted in with slugs and shifting a buckshot pattern 2" doesn't really matter when it's a foot across at that distance.

I found that a Briley flush IC and MOD choke, and some 1oz Sluggers and the afformentioned buckshot and a bit of trial-error would get you about as good a buck/slug launcher as possible with this weapon.

I just finished up an upgrade to my saiga

IMG_0297.jpg

I am using Brenneke Tactical slugs and they are spot on with my FastFire at 25 and 50+ at this point. The birdshot/buckshot at 25 yards using the same point of aim on the same piece of newspapter puts the slug POI about about 2" below dead center of the shot patterns. Cant really ask for much better. I think having the dot low and back makes it work. I have run about 150 rounds of shot and 40 of the Brenneke, Remi slugs dont cycle well at this point.

Tnek,

a bit off topic (OK, quite a bit, sorry);

How do you hold zero with your reddot mounted on the dust cover? Not trying to be a Smart A**, just asking... don't know much about these new fangled machines...

jj

IMG_0291.jpg

This pic shows the JT mount clearly. Its two parts, the dot is on a part that has 3 screws down thru to the vertical side mount. The 5 side mount holes are drilled and taped thru the side of the reciever and are just above the rails and required blending to not catch the bolt. With 5 screws and the fact its REALLY light gives me hope there will be no issues in the future with the reciever. Time will tell.

The dust cover had to be notched slightly where it fits over the mount and the top part of the mount the dot sits on is mounted on after the dust cover is on. Its going to make cleaning,,ha I said cleaning like its gonna happen much,,, more difficult and less often than my usual slack cleaning routine.

You can get the mount at Carolina Shooting Supply. It was about $95.

Sorry for any hijack.

Edited by tnek