Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Zero 125 JHP OAL for Glock

Z32MadMan

I am trying to work up a new load for my Glock 17. I've got a few loads ready to test for the chrono this weekend.

Zero 125 JHP

Crimp: .377-.378

Solo 1000: 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5

OAL; 1.125"

Does everything look/sound about right?

What OAL do Glocks like to run JHPs accurately and reliably at? It seems like others are running them shorter, around 1.1". But that seemed a bit short for me and I figured some wiggle room on case capacity would be a good idea. It especially seemed short since I have been shooting a Solo/147gr BBI load in my Sig at 1.145".....

How much of a velocity difference would the going from 1.125" to 1.1" with the same charge?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Z32MadMan

Experiment. A good rule to follow is load as long as your Glock mags will allow.

My preferred bullet runs nicely at ~1.157.

Edited by Jman

A good rule to follow is load as long as your Glock mags will allow.

Why so?

A simple fudge against pressure. I do it for both 9 and 40. Now, if I ran REAL guns ;) they'd be even longer.

It depends on the bullet.

With the Zero JHP's I was able to go out to 1.140". Started to really feel the G17 mags object if the OAL went to 1.145.

With nice pointy FMJ bullets, like the Federal 115 hollow-base FMJ, I could go right to 1.161".

The lack of pointy 40cal bullets and the fatter flat/hollowpoint are reasons why you never see the 40's OAL listed much past 1.135. 9mm lets you go longer especially with full metal jacket.

Every bullet has a sweet spot and it depends on the gun. I generally load for the sweet spot unless it is too long for my CZ's then I reduce to that length for that bullet. Example MG 124 JHP at 1.085, PD 124 jhp's at 1.120. MG 124 CMJ 1.150.

It depends on the bullet.

With the Zero JHP's I was able to go out to 1.140". Started to really feel the G17 mags object if the OAL went to 1.145.

I concur.

I run Zero 125JHP's in my Glocks.

While it is nice to load as long as you can get away with (it decreases the initial pressure spike when the load ignites), you must first and foremost load an OAL that feeds well in your gun. The OAL is THE reference point. If you then need to adjust the load, or even change powders, then do so based off that OAL.

You are fine at the 1.125 OAL with those bullets [for feeding purposes]. Should feed great. I run them at 1.135-1.140 (I've tried them longer, but the don't want to run nicely in the higher capacity Glock mags...unlike a round nose Winchester FMJ which will run with a length of almost 1.160)

On your crimp. Measure the diameter of you bullets. Then measure the wall thickness of your brass (should be 0.010). You will be using two wall thicknesses, plus the diameter of the bullet. Then, maybe curl the crimp in 0.001 or 0.002.

The idea being to just remove the bell that you powder die put on.

Your bullet is going to be 0.356 ... add in + 0.10 +0.10 (brass wall thickness) will = 0.376

Subtract a max of 0.002 to "tamper" the crimp just a bit = 0.374

I'd crimp to 0.374 - 0.376

You need to taper your crimp a bit more.

I have never loaded with Solo, cannot comment there. (I use TightGroup)

Thanks for all the info guys. I will go ahead and tighten the crimp down a bit. Although I chambered a few rounds 10 or so times each and had no problems with setback.

Went to the range to chrono today.

4.5 gr of Solo 1000 got me an average of 1018 fps in my P226 4.25" barrel. I'm hoping that a 4.5" Glock 17 w/ poly rifling will bump the PF up a bit more.

4.5 = 127.25 PF

4.4 = 126.75 PF

4.3 = 125 PF

4.2 = 123 PF

Also it was 86 degrees outside, and from what I have heard Solo 1000 is reverse temp sensitive. So I should be safe for the rest of the year.

I think the primers were starting to get a bit flatter on the 4.5 load, but they definitely weren't smashed flat like some of the primers I see on brass that I pick up.

Edited by Z32MadMan

I load my Solo loads out to 1.150'' with Zero 124gr FMJ and MG 124gr HP . It gives better readings on the chrony , the ES and SD are super with a little longer OAL . My jug of Solo is real slow , i have to load with 4.6 to 4.7grs to get to 128-130 PF . But all of the Solo is differant .