Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im looking for a 1911 platform for my CCW gun. I would like to have one that is compact and lightweight (found this out last night just wearing my full size 1911 around the house in the way I would carry it). I chose the 1911 because of its slim profile and proven reliability, but where Im running into issues is on the price. So my question is, do any of you guys know what brand to go with without paying upwards of $1000 for a gun that will not be shot all that much? I am also open to other platform suggestions provided they have about the same profile as a 1911 and the same reliability. I'm looking at trying to keep the price in the $500-$750ish range. Thanks for the help here.

-Mike

I would practice with it to maintain accuracy, consistant draws, etc. But my theory, at least, is that my match gun is a 1911 so all the workings of the gun are already ingrained in my noodle. Basically everytime I go to a match Im increasing my skills shooting a 1911. I just dont want to carry something that big or heavy around all day.

I don't know of ANY compact 1911's under $1000.

I also don't know of ANY reliable compact 1911s... LOL

If I had to carry a "mass-produced" compact 1911, I'd choose a Springfield or Colt, both of which will run around $1200 last I looked. Should be the most reliable.

I shoot a M&P Pro in Production, and for the same reason as you, I carry a M&P9c.

If I were looking for a new "budget" carry gun (I'm not), I'd look hard at the new Taurus "Slim" 9mm, which has a similar manual of arms to the 1911 (thumb safety, etc), and it's skinny as he__. If S&W built a single-stack polymer 9mm under an inch in thickness... I'd own one tomorrow.

Jeff

I shoot with American Action Shooting a lot and they cater to the CCW crowd. What I can tell you about the small sized 1911 is that they lack the reliability that I need in a CCW gun. I had one of the first M16's issue in country and I gave it back, and picked up an M14 and a 45, something that you could depend on.

But of the ones I have seen the Kimber is the most reliable. Mags are an issue as well.

What do I carry. Sig P239 in 9 mm. I like the idea of just pulling the trigger I prefer a steel gun and I like my hammer. The Wife carries a CZ75 Compact and loves it. Lots of small double action reliable guns to pick from. Sigs and CZ are 100% reliable.

Don't get me started on the Caliber, it does not matter that much it is the placement that counts.

SIG...!!! The P-239 or P-229 are good 'carry' choices. I've had both.

I bought a Springfield GI Champion (.45ACP) to ultimately take their places, but regret NOT having the Sigs in my arsenal any more. I'm sure I'll have another before long. Highly recommended for carry.

I think folks are confusing the term "compact" here....a Commander or Combat Commander sized gun can be perfectly reliable. They're not in the same size range as a really "compact" gun, but they're reasonable for most people to carry. R,

Well during lunch today I went to the BX to check out some different guns. The 2 they had that looked good to me were the Glock 23 and the CZ75 .40S&W. After handling the CZ I think thats what Ill go with. It's $675 which is in my price range plus since it's on base I dont have to pay any tax on the gun. Thanks for the replies guys (and Sig Lady). I never had any doubt that the BE'ers would take care of my question. :cheers:

You can get a loaded Springfield 1911 for around $750.

I guess I'm a little bias towards Springifelds as thats what I've owned and carried.

I'm a small guy, but I carried a full size Springfield TRP in a Milt Sparks VMII holster with no issues.

I think folks are confusing the term "compact" here....a Commander or Combat Commander sized gun can be perfectly reliable. They're not in the same size range as a really "compact" gun, but they're reasonable for most people to carry. R,

And in my very limited experience, a 4-4.25" top end on an Officer's frame can also be perfectly reliable. Get much shorter than that, and the tolerances start to stack up the other way. A good smith/builder can overcome that, but it'll cost....

to the OP: I carry a S&W lightweight commander in .45, the one with the scandium/unobtanium/whatever frame and steel top end. Full size grip for my full size paws, shorter barrel length conceals pretty easy under a t-shirt in an OWB holster. I've been through: Wilson govt 1911, HK P7M8, and a SIG 229. Like you, I shoot a 1911-type weapon in competition and this is very natural for me, same manual of arms. Slim, lightweight, and runs 165gn hydrashocks 100%. Been carrying it for a little over 2 years now, have no desire to change.

I found a used EMP 9mm in your price range, and had Bill Fender give it a once over and a trigger job. It is a sweet little gun that I enjoy shooting almost as much as my competition 1911. Check Gunbroker regularly, and you'll find them in the top of your price range, or new for just over your price range. Easy to carry, adequate for the job, and fun to shoot. What more could you ask for?

Edited by bbbean