Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder in the Hopper Questions

mikko

Approximately how many grains of powder does the powder hopper on a 550B hold?

Is there any problems with storing powder in the hopper for extended periods? Is it climate / environment dependent? (i.e. the midwest, in the basement, near a sump well)

The background for my questions is this. I'm new to reloading and recently purchase a nearly new 550B from a person who was quite uneducated about his machine. I think he owned it about two years and loaded only 1,000-1,500 9mm rounds on it. The seller had powder stored in the hopper and primers stored in the tube when I went to look at the machine. He seemed very casual about the danger of primers, displaying no respect for them when some became lodged within the primer magazine tube. He owned no reloading manuals and even originally had the machine set up by a friend who had purchased the machine for him. Amusingly, he broke his bullet puller by striking the wrong end when I asked to see how it worked. Amusement quickly turned to annoyance a few minutes later when I became the owner of the bullet puller and the rest of the gear. :roflol:

There was no container for the powder, however, I believe that it is 231 because the hodgdon printout from the internet that was pinned to the wall in front of his machine had his ammo load highlighted. I'm pretty confident that the powder is 231, because he had never done any loading of other calibers, but I'm not sure if I should use the small amount of powder or just take it outside and burn it. Even if I was certain it is 231 could there be any problems because it was stored in the hopper in a basement near a sump?

I received about (800) winchester small pistol primers and (500) 115 grain bullets from the seller in the transaction, but only have a zip lock of the powder that was in the hopper. I ordered more primers from Midway that are on the truck on the way, and wanted to order powder from them also, but decided not to when I realized that Midway was going to charge a separate hazmat $25 fee. So now I am getting impatient to try out the machine and only have the questionable powder that came from the seller.

I've watched the competition reloading video and done lots of reading in the manual and a couple reloading books, but have not found complete / satisfactory answers to the above questions.

Thanks for your help

I'll go a step beyond Merlin's IMO and TELL you to dump the powder! Don't be so impatient that you are willing to take silly, dangerous shortcuts to get started. Take your time and follow safe practices.

CYa,

Pat

Yes, DUMP IT! Did you do it yet? Ok, how about this... DUMP IT NOW!! You yourself basically said the guy had no idea what he was doing. Who knows if he even highlighted the right line on the printout??? There's got to be a place where you can pick up a pound of powder locally.

Yeah, I thought about it more since posting and just got back inside from the backyard where I burned it. Glad to see you guys agree with the decision.

I put it all on a metal trash can lid and lit it. :goof: That was fun. I wasn't sure how big it would be, but I certainly am glad I did it away from the house, grill and trees. I think the flame grew to six or seven feet.

I'm still curious, ~ how many grains does the hopper hold?

The weight of the powder in hopper will vary depending on the powder. Something bulky/fluffy like Solo 1000 and you'll get less in it than with a fine ball powder like Ramshot True Blue or Accurate #7.

EDIT: Thank you for burning that stuff. Pretty cool wasn't it? :cheers: The money you just sent up in flames may very well have saved you at a minimum the cost of a new gun!

Edited by SLM

I put it all on a metal trash can lid and lit it. :goof: That was fun. I wasn't sure how big it would be, but I certainly am glad I did it away from the house, grill and trees. I think the flame grew to six or seven feet.

Never too late to have a happy childhood! :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

The safest thing would be to spread it around the yard. However, since 231 is on the faster end of the powder burning rate chart, I probably would have just loaded a couple of rounds on the lighter side and tested them in the back yard. Assuming it went well, then use the powder. I would never make the assumption that it was a slower powder suitable for it's normal usage!

Mike

Would you put your well being in the hands of someone who doesn't knwo which end of a bullet puller is which? 

What powder could blow up a gun if you set it to throw a light charge of 231 and it was something else? 2.5 grains of C4 maybe, but short of somebody deliberately trying to sabotage you, what are the chances of that?

Would you put your well being in the hands of someone who doesn't knwo which end of a bullet puller is which? 

What powder could blow up a gun if you set it to throw a light charge of 231 and it was something else? 2.5 grains of C4 maybe, but short of somebody deliberately trying to sabotage you, what are the chances of that?

Really? The OP stated that the guy he got this thing from wasn't the most educated loader from his persrective. What if it is another type of powder? He doesn't KNOW that it is 231, just thinks it COULD be. Powder, in the grand scheme of things isn't all that expensive. Just dump it. Why worry? This shouldn't even be a debate, DUMP THAT BAD BOY!

Croomrider, where are you from? We have awildlife sanctuary close by named Croom, that people ride ATV's and dirt bikes in.

Tampa, yes that whould be where I got my name. My other passion is dirtbikes!

Mike

Really? The OP stated that the guy he got this thing from wasn't the most educated loader from his persrective. What if it is another type of powder? He doesn't KNOW that it is 231, just thinks it COULD be. Powder, in the grand scheme of things isn't all that expensive. Just dump it. Why worry? This shouldn't even be a debate, DUMP THAT BAD BOY!

I did say the safest thing would be to dump it in the yard. However, you didn't answer my question. If you weighed an approriate amount of the powder in question, assuming it was WW-231, and loaded it for a light charge. What powder could you substitute that would blow up the gun?

Mike