Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Rimfire in IDPA?

Jane

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any problem with opening the doors to new shooters at club matches. They can shoot a .22 and their Dad or mom can add the scores up for them later if they want to.

FWIW my Colt ACE .22 LR 1911 has more recoil than a 9mm 1911 with my minor loads and an 8# spring. If the kid is old enough to legally shoot IDPA they can run a 9mm.

Sure bring your airsoft and BB guns to the match....I wanna see it knock over my steel.

My BB gun would knock over any steel I have seen in any match, even the ones that were ridged mounted and not intended to be knocked down. Slow as hell to reload though.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/reloading/bbc/VID_00009-20110226-1733.mp4.html

Maybe a triplex load would help.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/reloading/bbc/VIDEO0144_zps658b32b8.mp4.html

Edited by jmorris

Sure bring your airsoft and BB guns to the match....I wanna see it knock over my steel.

My BB gun would knock over any steel I have seen in any match, even the ones that were ridged mounted and not intended to be knocked down. Slow as hell to reload though.

http://s121.photobuc...6-1733.mp4.html

Maybe a triplex load would help.

http://s121.photobuc...8b32b8.mp4.html

sweet !!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my son started shooting my Ruger 22/45. It fits perfectly in the old Glock factory holster. When we would reshoot a match with a different gun, I'd let him shoot the stages with the 22/45 just to get a feel for how it worked. He graduated to my Hi-Power after that.

If IDPA is really about concealed, self-defense, then a 22 does not have a place in it.

You do realize it's still a game, right? IDPA is NOT training, and never will be, unless your targets start to shoot back and you realize that what you call "cover" is (in 90% of cases) really CONCEALMENT ("Cover" stops bullets. House walls, beds, furniture, and even your car door are all concealment.).

This should really be a local option. If you have shooters who want to use a rimfire at today's prices for .22 ammo, let them. Score their targets and include them in the results. Just don't let them finish as HOA or anything like that. Don't use it in a major match.

But, at the end of the day, it's still just another game.

RIght now it is harder to find 22 ammo than 9mm around here.

Allowing 22s means no falling steel, which isn't a big deal unless your club uses poppers to activate movers. That is a lot to give up. I guess if your club has no movers, then it isn't a big deal.

Some say 380s and 25s and 22s will knock over steel, yet we have all the regular drama when 9mm doesn't knock it over.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

i still say, make it its own division. ight now some people cant find centerfire ammo and cant compete. Allow them to come, play and have fun, in stead of sitting home and not being able to compete.

I think this is much ado about nothing. If your club is willing to allow people to compete with rimfire, then great. If not, then set something up or run the stages after the match and offer to tear down for the club. No one is going to shoot a major with .22.

Hell, IDPA won't even allow tactical red dots (like Burris Fastfire), EVEN THO PEOPLE USE THEM ON THEIR CARRY GUNS. You really think they're going to allow rimfire ammo?

• 1 month later...

As a father who has a teen age daughter shooting IDPA I think it would do our sport to have a young minor class for say 7-12 year olds and allow them to participate with a 22. We want more younger shooters but the tell them to go away till they can handle a "big people" gun.

It would work the same way rimfire does in Steel Challange - it offers a low cost/low recoil starting platform for all beginners. IDPA has enough rules that "undermine the core principles" that this isn't going to do anything but introduce more shooters into this GAME.

.22 rimfire is not a defensive gun. It undermines the core principles of IDPA. Leave it for the steel challenge.

IDPA is a game. Games were meant to be played. A club allowing someone to play by letting them use a lower recoil gun is simply spreading the sport.

Dogma isn't useful for attracting new members.

Again, don't allow it for major matches, but let the clubs do it if they wish. If I ran an IDPA club, I'd let people do it with rimfire, then encourage them to graduate to a full-sized gun.

Allowing 22s means no falling steel, which isn't a big deal unless your club uses poppers to activate movers. That is a lot to give up. I guess if your club has no movers, then it isn't a big deal.

Want to encourage people to move from rimfire to a "real gun?" Give them the penalties for FTN and FTE that go with not knocking over the target and activating the next one.

.22 rimfire is not a defensive gun. It undermines the core principles of IDPA. Leave it for the steel challenge.

9mm and minor 40 are not defensive guns, so esp and ssp undermine the core principles of IDPA, lol. :devil:

fwiw, we have a uspsa practice match once a month that allows rimfire. It's mostly non-reactive steel, but we do use poppers and a texas star, and my buckmark drops about 60% of the poppers. Note that shooting 22's in our uspsa practice match does not require uspsa to change their rules or recognize a 22 division. It's something our discipline director came up with and implemented on his own. You can do the same at your IDPA practice match. If your club doesn't have one, you can volunteer to start one.

• 2 months later...

I am an experienced IDPA competitor and usually place in the top 30% with an M&P9 full size (and I'm a senior citizen), but I also shoot a non-sanctioned IDPA like event called "Defensive Pistol", using my M&P22. I set the poppers to go over easily, but not so light as for the wind to knock them over. I have never failed to have even the heavy ones fall when hit by the 22 round when set light enough.

My thought is the more people you get into the shooting sports, the less anti-gunners will be around to vote your gun rights away. Quite a few pre-teens and teenagers are starting to shoot this event and getting really good at it. Why try to prevent people from shooting these events? Though IDPA may make you a more proficient shooter and it is fun, it's just a game. Ask any experienced trainer how much confidence they have in IDPA type of events for real life encounters. In a real gunfight, the rule of 2's applies 90% of the time. 2 shots, 2 yards, 2 seconds.

Al

NRA Range Safety Officer

NRA Life Member

Edited by agksimon

• 1 month later...

With the new IDPA rules I don't know how it's any different form the not for competition divison, just let whoever want to shoot it in that divison.

I don't think it has any place at a major match but for local matches I really don't see the harm. Especially with all of the quality 22 conversion kits for combat style guns.

At our local matches someone brought their wife and she was really new to shooting so she was using a 22. No one gave her any crap about it, it's not like she was going to win the match and for her that was about as much gun as she was able to currently handle so the match was an excuse for her to practice shooting it while moving at defensive targets. If we didn't let her do it she wouild have had no where else to go to try something like this. She had fun, put holes in targets, and left with a smile on her face. Some of the hard ass serious competition people forget that's really what this is all about.