Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is there never a chrono at local matches?

Pro2AInPA

I have also been to majors in the past where you give your 8 rd sample but when you walk up RO grabs a mag on your belt. New rulebook spells out procedures that prevent most of this as Not allowed. Kind of a bummer :unsure:

My Read of Appendix C2 still allows for random and additional collection of ammo to test.....

C2 #29. It is recommended that ammunition be collected from competitors as randomly

as is possible to insure that the collected ammunition accurately

matches the ammunition the competitor is actually using in competition.

Not only allows it but recomends it.

The way I read this the RO can take ammo from the shooters bag, mags or pockets if they have any there. :rolleyes:

Tom

First we are talking about Locals. You can collect random and surprise but don't forget you need to read and follow C2 #28 First, you must collect 8(using #29 of course) and test first following the "procedure" (see C2 #41 for verification) That's how I read C2. This is a lot for a four stage club match I agree.

We haven't even got into calibrating the chrono.

We used to be able to chrono without worring about this procedure. That's the point I was making.

We have been toying with the idea to incorporate one into a regular match at some of our different local clubs. Not as a chrono stage but as part of a COF. You could avoid a chrono stage (but why would you), but hard to avoid if it is a part of a COF.

No announcement that there is one, you just show up and it happens to be there.

You can avoid it, but you will have your scores removed from the match results ... [C2, #42.]

I don't think you can do anything other than appropriate miss and FTE penalties, if the chrono is built into a regular stage.....

For that matter, that chrono would be informational only..... :P :P

But you could make fun of the folks who busted pf....

• 3 weeks later...

back in the day we would set up a chrono wants in a while just to keep the shooters on there toes. back then only a few even had a chrono's it gave a lot of guys a chance to check their ammo before a bigger match

Because they cost $100 a SHOT.

Exactly. If I set up MY chrono, there aren't too many people I'm going to allow to shoot over it. I would shoot their gun and do a chrono check for them if they wanted. Our club however, doesn't have a working chrono.

It's not a big deal to me if someone is not making PF at our local club match. They are only hurting themselves and most of them probably have no clue what their bullets are doing which usually goes to my favor anyway, especially on longer stages.

Wow, where'd you get an accurate new chrono for only $100?

I paid $199.00 for mine, not including the extras. Total cost was over $350 with all the extras, like a tripod, carry case, IR screens, etc...

I paid $199.00 for mine, not including the extras. Total cost was over $350 with all the extras, like a tripod, carry case, IR screens, etc...

Probably costs around $100 to replace the part you shoot...... :ph34r:

Troy

I have also been to majors in the past where you give your 8 rd sample but when you walk up RO grabs a mag on your belt. New rulebook spells out procedures that prevent most of this as Not allowed. Kind of a bummer :unsure:

5.8.1.5 Match Officials reserve the right to conduct chronograph or

other tests on all and any ammunition, at any time, and a reason

need not be given. (emphasis added)

Seems like this is perfectly permissible to me.

Edited by twodownzero

My Pro Chrono Digital was around $100. So far it has been within one PF point of the CED's at major matches.

5.8.1.5 Match Officials reserve the right to conduct chronograph or

other tests on all and any ammunition, at any time, and a reason

need not be given. (emphasis added)

Seems like this is perfectly permissible to me.

I try to be a little more tactful ... I WILL NOT GRAB a shooter's mag! I will, however, point to a mag (or mags) and say "Give three from this one, two from that one, and three from the one over there ..." (App. C2, #29.) I may not always be known for my "people" skills, but even I know better than to grab someone's equipment!!! :sight: