Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M-1

After reading all the praises of the Benelli I replaced my 1100 with the M-1. I had read that the M-1 would shoot all shells even the cheap stuff. After shooting a half box of the Winchester 3dr, 1 1/8 oz, 8 shot (cheap stuff) I had sevral rounds fail to eject fully. I looked at some high brass for $11.00 a box, pricey. What is recommened for plates, clays?

My M1 will run Winchester value pack, Winchester 1oz "Super Speed", Federal value pack and Remington reduced recoil slugs and reduced recoil 00 buck reliably. Have you cleaned and oiled it?

I know from shooting a friends Siaga that the Federals will cycle in it and Winchester won't. Maybe you could try some Federals. I do get slightly better patterns from the Federal value packs over the Winchester value packs (both in #8 shot). For matches, I generally run Winchester AA light target #9 shot.

Hurley

BTW, if the gun is new to you, it's worthwhile to clean out and relube the recoil spring tube in the stock. After I did, mine ran even light Remington Game Club target loads with reliability. Gotta get rid of the rusty crud in there once in a blue moon.

Should be no need for high brass.

:cheers:

Curtis

I run the cheap stuff in mine. They were used guns but the owner shot about 100 rds thru them in 10 yrs. I would go thru it and clean it up. See if it has been modified. I did find one that the recoil system was changed out for a stainless set up. Took it out and it ran.

Does it have a pistol grip stock on it ? If it does thats a starter for 10.

Find a brand that suits the pocket and works the gun and stick to it. Chopping and changing ammo based on cost often brings about its own problems.

My M1 will run Winchester value pack, Winchester 1oz "Super Speed", Federal value pack and Remington reduced recoil slugs and reduced recoil 00 buck reliably. Have you cleaned and oiled it?

I know from shooting a friends Siaga that the Federals will cycle in it and Winchester won't. Maybe you could try some Federals. I do get slightly better patterns from the Federal value packs over the Winchester value packs (both in #8 shot). For matches, I generally run Winchester AA light target #9 shot.

Hurley

For the matches I run Winchester AA Sporting Clay loads.

You have to be careful with "Spaghetti Slingers" in a couple of ways:

1. Like mentioned before, the recoil springs running thru the stock must be clean and free of heavy greases.

2. Like also mentioned, avoid using a pistol-grip stock if at all possible. The angle at which the pistol grip stock attaches to the reciever is a little "off", so tightening it down can result in a bent and binding recoil spring tube.

3. Not mentioned yet and therefore my little contribution to the discussion: According to Benelli's engineers, the gun won't run reliably if it weighs more than 500 grams over stock. To put THAT into perspective, a 12 gauge shotshell weighs approximately 55-60 grams. 8 of those in the magazine gets you really close to 500 grams. Put another 6 on a SideSaddle and you're way overweight. Put a Sure-Fire light on it and you're really screwed. (I found this out when my duty gun wouldn't even cycle 2 3/4" full-power 00-buckshot. I put it on a diet and now it will run anything.)

This is because of Benelli's Inertial Recoil System. The gun MUST have some rearward "OOMPH" and be allowed to freely recoil some, which compresses the heavy spring in the bolt and starts the cycle. Heavy guns tend to dampen enough of that "oomph" that it will short-stroke.

About "what ammo?": I would shoot a small shot size (8s or 9s) because the density of the pattern will put many more pellets in the clay or plate than a #6. I run a Skeet or Improved Cylinder choke and have found occasional holes in the pattern just big enough for a plate to fit in when using 6s.

All-in-all, I'd probably trade the Benelli to some "Tactical Ted" and buy an FN SLP.... ;)

*****Update*****

Saturday I disassembled and cleaned it. I just bought it used and surprisingly it was very clean with hardly any wear marks. I have an 8 shot side saddle and I loaded it up as well to simulate.

Ok, after church and mother’s day dinner I ran a box of Remington STS light targets and ran without a hiccup. I tried a box the cheap Wal-Mart Federals and about every 5th one was a FTE.

So I need to dump the pistol grip stock? But I love the pistol grip!

Then I need to trade it on a FN SLP? That sucks I just got this one because I read that it was the cat's meow.

I’ll run the Remington STS and see how it runs this Saturdays match.

I have 4 Benelli's and all are a tad different in what they will run well. The best advice I can give you which is not already posted is that the smooth shells such as AA or White Rhino always run better than a ribbed shell such as is common in the chaaper shells or standard reminington but 3 of my 4 run the cheap stuff just fine.

*****Update*****

Saturday I disassembled and cleaned it. I just bought it used and surprisingly it was very clean with hardly any wear marks. I have an 8 shot side saddle and I loaded it up as well to simulate.

Ok, after church and mother’s day dinner I ran a box of Remington STS light targets and ran without a hiccup. I tried a box the cheap Wal-Mart Federals and about every 5th one was a FTE.

So I need to dump the pistol grip stock? But I love the pistol grip!

Then I need to trade it on a FN SLP? That sucks I just got this one because I read that it was the cat's meow.

I’ll run the Remington STS and see how it runs this Saturdays match.

Loose the side saddle, ot at least take it off and see if the problem still happens with the Federal ammo. I have 2 M-1's, one with a pistol grip stock and one without, both will feed and eat any shell I put in it. I run the cheapest stuff I can find for practice (normally the FED 100rd bulk packs), but as said before, the WIN AA's that are smooth and not ribbed are what I run in matches, just seem to shoot better for some reason.

I would highly suggest not trading the M1 for a SLP. I started shooting 3 gun with a slp and constantly ran into feeding problems with a variety of shells. I switched to a M1 and have not had any problems. I run Winchester AA 7 1/2's, 1 1/8 oz going 1300fps and Remington Low Recoil 1 Oz slugs with out issue.

I thought the FN SLPs were reliable guns? Anyone else?

I would highly suggest not trading the M1 for a SLP. I started shooting 3 gun with a slp and constantly ran into feeding problems with a variety of shells. I switched to a M1 and have not had any problems. I run Winchester AA 7 1/2's, 1 1/8 oz going 1300fps and Remington Low Recoil 1 Oz slugs with out issue.

My M1 has a 10 rd tube, arredondo speed chute, 26 small barrel ports, and a Jpoint. The bolt has been lightened by Benny. For 100% function I have found that any 3 1/4 Dram equivalent and 1 1/8 oz. load will run without malfunctions. The caveat is, as with most shotguns, that the hull is stiff enough to maintain a good crimp for feeding and cycling.