Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB question

I read that the SDB comes "factory adjusted" how true is this. I have been contemplating getting one to keep for dedicated to a specific caliber. Any reason not to go this route?

When I sent mine into be overhauled a year and a half ago, it came back set to factory 9mm specs as far as OAL, and crimp. I adjusted the powder measure for a specicfic pwder, as I can't see how they would guess that one.

JZ

I read that the SDB comes "factory adjusted" how true is this. I have been contemplating getting one to keep for dedicated to a specific caliber. Any reason not to go this route?

Lots of info on press choice here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

Really two different questions here, I think:

1. good idea to have a 2nd reloader, set to one of your two favorite loads?

No problem but money and space. If I had a lot of money and alot of space,

That's what I'd do. But, it's really not too much trouble to make the

changes to go back and forth from load to load, except for changing from

small to large primers - but it's still a matter of convenience vs money.

2. Is the SDB "factory adjusted"?

It might be close, but I had to tinker with most of the adjustments, including

the powder charge, the OAL and the crimp. Doesn't take long, and the powder

charge & OAL are going to be Your Favorites - they really can't set them for you.

They seem to do a pretty good job of setting them up as though you'd be loading factory style ammo with a mid-weight bullet. The slight tweaks you'll need...likely only powder charge and OAL are easy. Unless you need to crank out enough ammo to keep a 650 busy, it's not a bad idea if you've got the space for another press. R,

Got mine last week through Brian, ( buy through him if you decide for one ) he spent an hour on the phone with me talking about the press, answering detailed questions, and comparing it to the 550 & 650. Got it set up for .45 ACP, it is very close to plug & play, some slight tuning of the dies for your bullet weight and belling, and ajusting the powder drop. I also got the SDB Instructional DVD, which was a big help. I had a issue with primer seating and a Dillon Rep answered it in 10 min. on this Forum:D Now I understand why guys rave about Dillon support. Very happy experience for me !

They are pretty close but, you will most likely want to do some minor tweaking of bell, OAL, crimp, and you will have to dial in the powder measure.

IMO the SDB is the simplest progressive out there for loading pistol and if you can live with 300~500 rounds per hour.

I have one set to load 45 acp. That way I do not have to change the 550 or 650 to large primer. Dillon is the BEST you can get!! They will help with any questions, replace most any part should it break. And everyone I have ever talked with out there has been outstanding. When it comes to customer service Dillon IS the top of the pack. As for factory settings mine came ready to go. Just be wary the SDB is like a gateway drug, Before you know it you will have to have a 550......Then 650 and the rest is history.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the SDB in 9mm it was set-up close but you will need to adjust the powder charge and OAL and put the powder drop arm in and adjust it . It is easy with the directions and if you have a problem customer service is great !! It is not a 650 but a good press for the money , i really like mine and dont regret buying it . :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bought one new almost 10 yrs. ago, slight adjustments for bell and bullet depet, sent it in almost 3 yrs ago,for a rebuild and except for same adjustment, it's as reliable as the sun rising in the morning :bow:

Like most of the other replies, the SDB only needs a little tinkering depending on the powder used, bullet weight, etc. Otherwise "set it and forget it"....or something like that. It's real user friendly and makes reloading enjoyable.

• 4 months later...

I run an SDB for my 9mm and am setting up another for 40 S+W. Otherwise I have a 550 set for 45ACP and will be getting a 10mm conversion head set up for it. I like both and both have their minor quirks probably induced by me. Cannot beat the quality or the service from DILLON.

Chris

I run an SDB for my 9mm and am setting up another for 40 S+W. Otherwise I have a 550 set for 45ACP and will be getting a 10mm conversion head set up for it. I like both and both have their minor quirks probably induced by me. Cannot beat the quality or the service from DILLON.

Chris

If your setting a SDB up for .40 you have what is needed to load 10mm.

I've had 2 SDB's, one dedicated for 9mm the other for .45ACP.... and loaded .380, .40/10mm and .38/.357 with it as well.

I have since sold the 9mm machine and upgraded to a dedicated 9mm XL650 with casefeeder :D

I've had 2 SDB's, one dedicated for 9mm the other for .45ACP.... and loaded .380, .40/10mm and .38/.357 with it as well.

I have since sold the 9mm machine and upgraded to a dedicated 9mm XL650 with casefeeder :D

Boxerglocker,

And your .40/10mm and .38/.357 setups are

feeling right at home down here in Arkansas now. B)

ST

:)

Boxerglocker,

And your .40/10mm and .38/.357 setups are

feeling right at home down here in Arkansas now. B)

ST

:)

Did you buy an LCR to go with the .38/.357 dies yet? :lol: