Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Holsters

Anything that locks will work fine. I am a little leery of the Limcat though. I switched back to an old Ernie Hill Fastrac so I can crank down the tension screw and not worry about locking and unlocking (or forgetting to unlock and getting a speed-wedgie). I would rather have something that grabs the muzzle and grips the frame. IMHO, a tenth or two on the draw is not worth a loose handgun in this type of shooting.

Biggest change needed for most USPSA pistol shooters when doing combo stuff is holster position, I wound up moving mine to a strongside high and tight position to keep it out of the way for position rifle shooting and other 3 gun gymnastics.

--

Regards,

Hello,

I'm with George. I love my Ghost, but am leery of the stupid operator (me) knocking the gun out. I'm considering either a ) Safariland 011/012; b ) CR Speed Holster; c ) Taking a Blade-Tech and cutting it to fit my open gun (it is only kydex after all).

Rich

I love my Ghost, but am leery of the stupid operator (me) knocking the gun out. I'm considering either a ) Safariland 011/012; b ) CR Speed Holster; c ) Taking a Blade-Tech and cutting it to fit my open gun (it is only kydex after all).

Rich

I can't believe you consider a 011 more secure than your Ghost :huh:

I DNF'ed a combo gun stage when my unloaded pistol fell out of my 011 while I was moving with a long gun. No such trouble with the Ghost, but I am leery due to the spring modification I made. It needs a strong spring if there's going to be a lot of movement.

Don't get me wrong or confuse my intent. I love my Ghost holster more than any other I've tried (which has been too many).

I just know that I can be clutsy (again far too many times) and will probably find a really creative or inappropriate (as if there is an appropriate) time to drop my pistol.

I've pretty much resolved that I'm going to modify a Blade-Tech or Uncle Mike's holster to work with my Open gun. The draws aren't that critical in multi-gun stages.

Rich

At the 2003 MGM IronMan 3 gun our entire squad chose to go up the 25' rapelling tower with a slung rifle and holstered pistol rather than take the time penalty for wussing out and running over to a barricade off to one side. (it was a slight edge to take the penalty but I just had to do the tower). My old beat-up Fastrac held tight and so did another open shooter's Limcat Stealth Pistol Shelf. I just made sure I didn't stand nearby when the Limcat supported pistol was swinging overhead :rolleyes:

Most everyone shooting a Limited type pistol was sporting Kydex of some sort and the CR Speed was the most popular on open shooters at the MGM. Most open shooters didn't take on the tower though.

--

Regards,

George,

I was the only one in my squad to climb the tower, was using a kydex holster (Bladetech), and never gave it a second thought. I would have wussed out and taken the penalty wearing a Ghost. I just don't have the trust in it yet.

MerlinD... that was the start of the one shotgun stage at North Carolina Tactical 3gun match 3 years ago.....when I jumped for the rope, my shoulders( bursitis) made such a popping sound that the "medic" standing near me said "sir, are you all right?".... gladly the last two years were not as physical for us old fat guys.... regards

• 3 years later...

I'd like to ressurect this thread to see if there's any new development in holsters for Open Division in 3-Gun.

I've decided to shoot the USPSA Multi-Gun Nationals this year in Open Division and I'm good to go except for a holster for my Dawson MiniGun Stroker.

It seems like I recall seeing Alex Wakal with a modified Kydex holster of some sort...

Thanks in advance,

-Chet

Hey Chet I use a holster made at com look at http://www.comkydex.com talk to rick tell him what you have and he can make it I send e-mail pics with a ruler and he made from that his number is 1-866-293-1002.

I'd like to ressurect this thread to see if there's any new development in holsters for Open Division in 3-Gun.

I've decided to shoot the USPSA Multi-Gun Nationals this year in Open Division and I'm good to go except for a holster for my Dawson MiniGun Stroker.

It seems like I recall seeing Alex Wakal with a modified Kydex holster of some sort...

Thanks in advance,

-Chet

It was surprisingly easy to modify a 6" STI Bladetech DOH to fit a Bedell Shorty open gun...some sandpaper, a Drimel, and a little propane torch did the trick in less than an hour.

Modifying a Glock 17 Safariland 6004 to fit a STI Hornet took a lot longer and required some careful thought to make the rotating "hood" functional. DOH are easy :)

Alex

Hey Chet I use a holster made at com look at http://www.comkydex.com talk to rick tell him what you have and he can make it I send e-mail pics with a ruler and he made from that his number is 1-866-293-1002.

Thanks in advance,

-Chet

+1

Give Rick a call. He was more than willing to bend over backwards and get my holster made for my open gun. I will post a pic when I get some time tomorrow.

I've been using a Ghost holster (on my Tanfoglio) this year with very good results! Very secure when locked, but easy to draw when you want it...

last year (on my Para) I used a custom built Kydex holster (BB in Tuscon AZ) and it works well, long enough to cover the comp and goes around the scope. I also have a semi custom Blade Tech (longer to cover the comp for my Tanfoglio) but haven't modified it yet to go around the scope mount. I did use it for a while with a JPoint scope.

jj

Here is a thought: you might want to shoot a 3gun/multigun outside the sanctioning of USPSA.

Q.: What is the consistent set of rules for non-USPSA 3gun/multigun?

A: there are NONE. Every match is different.

Now that you know that fact, consider:

-you may have to go prone with a holstered pistol. Want to do that with an open race holster?

-you might have to run with a rifle or shotgun & risk hitting a wide open race style holster - then only the lock is holding the gun in (I hope it holds).

-you have have to re-holster the gun (possibly hot) on the clock. I'd personally prefer to lock it in with a race holster - which takes time.

I would select Kydex if I were you. Under MATCH CONDITIONS, its just about as fast as a race holster on the draw and its faster to re-holster. To each his own.

All non-USPSA (read IMGA) major match rules state something to the effect of no speed holsters in Tactical divisions, but have NO restrictions on holsters in open.

I've gone prone with my Ghost in SEVERAL matches and during lots of practice sessions, and RAN while carring a long gun as well with NO problems, thank you... the only way the pistol will come out is something has to flip the locking lever, hopefully just your finger when you want the pistol to come out. go prone with my race holster? you bet!!! Run with it? SURE!!!

the kydex is definately easier to RE-holster hot under the clock thou, but not done very often. Re-holstering a Ghost is not that time consuming, but IS slower than a kydex.

Althou the kydex is NOT fool proof! I have seen more than one fall out of a kydex while prone or during running. I have NOT seen one fall out from a Ghost, YET... :mellow:

Bottom line is, neither is perfect in all aspects. I choose to use my Ghost race holster because I feel it is MORE secure than a kydex, not because I want that lightning fast draw...most people can take a nap during my "speed" draws! :rolleyes:

jj

It was surprisingly easy to modify a 6" STI Bladetech DOH to fit a Bedell Shorty open gun...some sandpaper, a Drimel, and a little propane torch did the trick in less than an hour.
DOH are easy :)

Cool. I've got a DOH for an STI Edge right here. I'll give that a try.

-Chet