Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Revo's and small hands

earlbob

I have been wanting to get a 44 mag. Had a Super Redhawk and a Blackhawk in the past. Is there a strong framed gun with a smaller grip and shorter distance to the trigger out there? The Blackhawk has such a long trigger reach I can only get on it when its cocked and then barely. Hate to see all that brass just sitting on the shelf but I am not getting another hogleg that's to big and suffer through a hematoma in my hand again. Thanks for your input.

earl

Edited by earlbob

I can't speak to .44 Magnums per se, but I have small hands (I wear a men's small glove size) and I shoot revolvers exclusively, including the large N-frame revolvers, which is what S&W uses for their .44 Magnum guns. My solution is to use the Miculek style open backstrap grips so I can get closer to the trigger; but I'm also not shooting a .44. The heaviest thing I'll shoot in my guns is factory .45 ACP.

I shoot S&W 44s. I don't know how a Smith compares to a Ruger in that department, but you should at least handle a S&W at the gun store to see how it fits. Make sure it has a grip with an open backstrap where the grip frame shows through at the top. I find them very comfortable to shoot.

Liked the video, I clapped at the end. But that revolver she is shooting is not a Super Blackhawk 44 mag loaded with hot loads. When the palm of your strong hand is rolled to far around towards the trigger you can mess with the blood vessels and other necessary parts of the bod. I had my palm swelled up for weeks after one session to many and the tendon looked like a piece of rope laying under the skin. I will check out the S&W but wonder how long will the thing hold up if you start pounding a lot of 240 or 300 grain bullets at near max loads.

earl

maybe STI will design one, they got about everything else covered and are doing them right nice to!!!

I'm shooting a .44 mag S&W Model 29. My hands are not large but I have no problem. Different grips make a big advantage for any gun. I have been using the stock grips but they don't work real well with moons. I just had TK Custom change the cylinder for moon clips.

My grips are Pachmeyer Decelorators. I don't shoot hot loads but I do shoot major calibre using .44 Russian cases with 240 grain bullets. I switched from .44 special for the speed difference.

I'd say try Hogue grips or Pachmeyer and you can't go wrong.

Why shoot a hot 44 anyway? I have a 25-5 chambered 45 Colt, the same strong N frame as a 29. I shoot a 300 JHP over 22 grains H110 run out close to 1200 fps....THIS LOAD IS NOT FOR WEAK GUNS LIKE COLT SAA OR OTHER SMALL FRAME, LOW END GUNS, OR TOGGLE LINK LONGGUNS... close to a 45-70 load it has about half the recoil of a 240 jhp 44 mag round.

Holy crap, I would never try to shoot that ammo from a 25-5. That's really aggressive loading you're talking about. You ever look at how thin the cylinder wall is at the cylinder stop notch on a .45 N-frame? Those loads should be reserved for Rugers and Contenders, if you ask me.

I have been wanting to get a 44 mag. Had a Super Redhawk and a Blackhawk in the past. Is there a strong framed gun with a smaller grip and shorter distance to the trigger out there? The Blackhawk has such a long trigger reach I can only get on it when its cocked and then barely. Hate to see all that brass just sitting on the shelf but I am not getting another hogleg that's to big and suffer through a hematoma in my hand again. Thanks for your input.

earl

I'd think the Super Redhawk would be the way to go since you can really customize the grip to fit your hand - plus the weight of it helps absorb recoil.

I'm with you Mike, those .45 loads should only be used in Rugers and Contenders.

Jerry

Holy crap, I would never try to shoot that ammo from a 25-5. That's really aggressive loading you're talking about. You ever look at how thin the cylinder wall is at the cylinder stop notch on a .45 N-frame? Those loads should be reserved for Rugers and Contenders, if you ask me.

Smith and Cor bon both they assured me, it could handle it. It is not as hot as Corbon or buffalo bore, which I don't shoot. I don't make a habbit of shoot loads this hot in any guns I have. Only maybe to drop an Kansas deer dead in it tracks.

I would suggest the X Frame SW in .460SW. You can play with your loads fairly hot in that frame and since it's comp'd you won't get beat up. I believe the article said way back at the inception of the X Frame that they were proofing at around 92,000psi and designed for a working pressure of atleast 62,000psi for the .454 Casull. The .460 runs about 50K psi if I remember correctly. I have the 8 3/8" XVR and it is a blast to shoot in all 3 calibers with .454 being the stoutest recoil, .460 being the loudest and gasiest, and .45 LC is an uneventful pop.

I am not saying to load beyond recommended max and do not assume any liability for what anyone does with these numbers and information.

Regards,

Forrest