Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base pad woes

Unleashed

I have been running arrendondo basepads on my G22 mags and it's not going well...I use the Wolf +10% springs

but they are not maintaining enough tension after just 1 or 2 loadings. I even started stretching the springs after each

stage I still had multiple failures to feed. I've got two questions: 1. has anyone else had this problem? (especially recently since

I have run this setup before without issues and suspect a bad batch of springs) 2. Has anyone had better results with other springs?

Thanks,

Edwin

posted from my iPhone :)

I don't have answers to your questions, but I do have more possibilities for the problem. Your follower or springs could be catching on the bottom of the mag tube lip. Also, your ammo's OAL could be enough to cause some binding inside the mag tube and not letting everything move freely.

I am thinking that the springs could be catching down low and causing that drag.

I haven't had that problem before but it seems to fit the situation, rather than assume

I have a bunch of bad mag springs. Every now and then the mags run fine...but they

are either running extremely weak or hanging up somewhere. This is why I shot production

for so long...I hate it when the gun doesn't work!

Why are you using Wolff springs? Every Arredondo base pad comes equipped with its own spring sized to work with that pad, yes? Why not try running the base pad with the spring that's intended to work with it, and see if it actually works then?

Checking out the Arredondo Accessories web site, it doesn't appear they offer just the base pad without the spring. At least that's what I'm getting from it:

http://www.cpwsa.com/arredondo.htm

Helps if you look at Arredondo, not at a dealer's inventory of a manufacturer's products.....

Arredondo.....

Now, buying the basepad without spring doesn't make much sense to me either....

Poking around some more, guess who makes Arredondo's springs? Wolff.....

At least now I know where to get replacements, that are already bent correctly.... :D :D

And yes, Ralph does sell the mag springs separately, either in bulk or one at a time. I purchased them directly from Arredondo's website, having not had 100% reliability out of either ISMI springs or stock Wolff mag springs. Wolff does make the springs, but they have a different bend on the bottom coil than stock Wolff springs. Like the man said, go to the source when in doubt.

Edited by Whitefish

Could it possibly be mismatched followers with the magazines? I know I updated some of my G22 magazines with the newer follower not realizing until after that I could only use 4,5 or 6 I couldn't use the 7 or newer ones. I had to switch back.

So I guess the question is, how old are the mags and where did they come from. Original with the gun or aftermarket?

:cheers: I had some problems with mine(both Arr and Dawson)at first. Check inside your mags, sometimes there are small tabs sticking out were the plastic is connected to the metal insert. I did not have any problems in production with mine until I went to limited. If the tabs aren't there you might want new mag springs, sometimes bad runs of manufacturing happen.

Checking out the Arredondo Accessories web site, it doesn't appear they offer just the base pad without the spring. At least that's what I'm getting from it:

http://www.cpwsa.com/arredondo.htm

The last three lines are the one's with springs the others are base pad and components.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2015&PID=fc25l4900kouep&GID=gpad

• 3 weeks later...

How long should the spring last? I use a #5 follower. And i have been using them for about a year. Here are the pictures of the bent springs.

post-13965-127285481542_thumb.jpg

post-13965-127285492382_thumb.jpg

Edited by conrad

Yikes. Those are crunched up pretty good, Conrad. Do you have a picture of the sides and top of that mag you can post. I'm still not sure that #5 follower goes with that mag body. But, that likely has little to do with those coils touching and nosing the bullets down like they do.

I bought 4 of the Arredondo +5 extension kits from Shooter's Connection and have used the hell out of all of them with ZERO issues.

However, now that I know the spring can be purchased separately, I think I'll be buying a few spares to put in the ol' range bag. :cheers: