Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explaining IPSC/USPSA

John Heiter

I've got a number of friends who know that I do "something with a pistol" on the weekends but they're not really sure what that is.  I've tried to get as many of them as I can to come out to the range with me but I'm wondering if there may be a site out there somewhere with good pictures of an IPSC match that I could point people to as a sample of our sport.  Anyone have any good ideas of a site I could use as a reference?  

Thanks,

John

Try our site. We try to aim it towards the new shooter.. Lot's of info and Vids...

http://www.ipscalberta.com

What I normally tell people is I shoot a tactical handgun sport in which I compete against law enforcement and others. Living in Canada the sport is not well known, but mentioning that you compete with law enforcment, docters, lawyers seems to ease their feelings towards it.

Patches;

One point I make about the challenge of practical pistol is that it resembles in many ways rock climbing, requiring three separate and very different mental and physical skills. First, there is a planning component...figuring out how you're going to shoot a stage is very similar to plotting a route up a rock face. Second, you have the gorss muscular movements necessary to sprint from shooting position to shooting position (similar to basic climbing moves). Finally, there are the elements of balance in setting up to shoot and the fine muscular/hand-eye moves of actually shooting (ultimately, rock climbing is about finesse and balance). Works for me.

MB

MB,

Great analogy.

Over the years I've often been asked (by the clueless) - Why, or what's the point of mastering a pistol? (Other than the personal growth and discovery gained in competition.) I use an analogy I overheard Mike Harries explain to a reporter, long ago, at Second Chance. He related it to swimming - it's a life saving skill. And, although you hoped you'd never have to use it to save your or someone else's life, if you had to, you be pretty glad you could. I know I'd be happy I love to swim if I ever drove my van into a lake.

be

I usually mention that it "started out as police-type training, but has evolved into a sport".  You can then make analogies to Football or Javelin-throwing or Chess if you like.  This removes some of the Rambo-esque feeling too.

Patches;

Just tell them it's more fun then a person should experience in one day.  Then take them to the range and demonstrate it for them, if you show them a video of TGO shooting a COF you might just intimidate them out of trying.  Get them past the intimidation then show them a video of TGO and let them marvel.

"Golf with guns" ?? I gave up golf in favour of IPSC because:

1) No matter how badly I shoot, my bullets never hook or slice;

2) Even if I miss, I don't have to go find my bullet in 3 feet of undergrowth;

3) There are no sand traps in IPSC;

4) I don't have to wear silly clothes and shoes;

5) I don't need to wear a single glove like Michael Jackson.

• 4 weeks later...