Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Bullets Int load data

Ahab

Anyone out there shooting Black Bullets for ICORE in .38 Short Colt? I've got a bunch of .356 diameter 147 grain bullets and I'm looking for recommendations on powder, OAL, anything. I've got brass, primers, and bullets but after reading a lot of posts I'm holding off on powder until I can get some more info.

I got the 147s because it's the same weight I shot in 9mm, and the general consensus seemed to be "go with 9mm data"; but I'm kind of new to reloading so I'd rather take it cautiously.

I shoot 130 gr RN 356 Montana Gold bullets with 4.6 gr Universal Clays, a Federal 100 primer, Starline Brass, and a 1'100" OAL. This load is @ 132 PF at 1050 FPS and very very accurate. I can shoot 1000 rnds and not have to swab out my cylinder. I am unsure what load to advise on 147 but this is so clean compared to my years of using Bullseye......

So the next question is could I get away with the same load using the Black Bullets Int 130 grain bullet? I'm still trying to suss out the difference in pressure with lead bullets vs. jacketed bullets, but something that rides around 130PF and 1000fps would be ideal.

So the next question is could I get away with the same load using the Black Bullets Int 130 grain bullet? I'm still trying to suss out the difference in pressure with lead bullets vs. jacketed bullets, but something that rides around 130PF and 1000fps would be ideal.

I would guess that any load that makes 130pf with a MG 130gr would probably make 137-140pf with the Black Bullet. Keep in mind that seating depth is critical with the Short Colt, small changes in seating depth can make huge differences in pressure and the resulting power factor.

FWIW here is what load and the results I get from my 7" Krieger barrel in a .38 special K frame S&W revo by NVGW, Inc.

PRECISION BULLET (it is black coated lead bullet) 125 gr 9mm (.356) bullet in front of 4.5gr of WST in .38spl cases with a Federal primer, loaded at 1.440". Avg velocity is 1020fps and accuracy is less than 2" at 50 yds. I do get a little leading after several hundred rounds. I run a bore brush through barrel after every 48-50 rds, then clean gun at days end. Cylinder fouling is virtually nonexistent.

Maybe this data may provided info for an adjusted starting point for your application. It would take about 3-5 "tenths" more powder to achieve similar results if using jacketed bullets. BE CAREFUL.

MJ

I have found that when moving from jacketed to lead bullet same weight, powder and all, the average increase in speed is about 100 fps. I don't know what the spike in preassure is though. Hopefully this is helpful. Later rdd

So should I be using the .358 lead bullets for ".38" or the 9mm lead bullets which are .356 diamter? Initially I figured the .38 cal (.358) but it seems lots of people are using the .356 bullets.

For best accuracy, you want to use the biggest diameter bullet you can. .358 would be a great bullet to work up an accurate load with. You CAN get good to acceptable accuracy with smaller diameter bullets, but it will be a crapshoot. You will have to try them to see what your individual gun will do with them.

Good luck,

DougC

I tried the 147 gr Precision Black bullet (.356) in my 586-7 and it made a mess in my barrel. Severe leading in my gun after 100 rounds. These bullets show no build-up in my Glock 34 after 250 rounds, but unfortunitly are a no-go in my favorite gun.

I used to use the 150 Master Blaster Moly coated and in 38 Short Colt my load was 2.9 to 3.0 of VV N310 with a OAL of 1.175 for an average of 850 fps and a power factor of 127.5. Since Master Blasters went out of business I started using www.betterbullets.com 150 grain 38 super sized at .357 with 2.8 to 2.9 VV N310 OAL at 1.160 for an average of 850 fps and a power factor of 127.5. Both loads will hold 2" at 50 yds. With the profile of 147 from Black Bullets I would start with a OAL of 1.130 and work up and down from there. I would venture close to 3 grains but I would stay away from anything over 3.1 grains. The bullet from betterbullets are lead and not moly coated and you can get them sized either .357 or .358. I use the .357 as I have a .356 barrel on my revolver and it eats up .357 but will not group .358 or .356 go figure. All the 147 Black bullets that I measured came out .356.5 and I am going to give them a try someday but with the pointed nose on the betterbullet it makes for a quicker reload. Just a note that N310 is sometimes hard to get your hands on but you can order it online thru Midway or any other place that carrys powder. It is a fast burning powder and is very clean. Hope this helps and welcome to the short side.

Awesome guys, thanks for all the help. While I'm thinking that maybe my first reloading project shouldn't have been so complicated, you guys have been super helpful with all the info. Now as long as I don't blow up my 627...

I've been running the BBI 130 .358 bullets and Universal Clays in my .38 short colt load. I don't remember the load off the top of my head but it is right around 130-135 PF. I've shot a couple of steel matches so far with no leading.

Anything smaller than .358 ended up being 'minute of berm' out of my 627.