Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duty 1911

caz41

Without really going off and getting my blood pressure through the roof, I need advice. Due to some decision making by new administration, our list of approved carry firearms for duty has changed. I was planning on having a STI Tactical done up all nice and pretty and use that. Now that things have changed the only two approved 1911 style guns that are on the magic list are Kimber and Smith & Wesson since they have the "drop" firing pin safety. Not to say that neither are good guns, and I do own a Kimber, the problem that I have is I am not all that comfortable with my options. Night sights and light rail are an absolute must, but I am not sold on having magazines that only single digits of rounds in a gun fight. Before I get blasted about only needing one bullet and yada yada I would rather have too many bullets in the gun than not enough. The more bullets out before having to reload is IMHO more important than the size of the bullet hitting you. Anyways ending my ramble, what do you guys think is the best option to go. I would prefer to carry a 1911 style, but don't know out of the options that I have.

This gun will be carried everyday for general duty and also used for SWAT.

Looks like your choices are; be happy with 8+1 capacity or choose a different weapons system. :sight:

I carried a single stack 1911 for years in the military and for CCDW and never thought for one second about only having 9 rounds in the gun. I now carry a Glock due to department regulations and feel the same way about 16 rounds of 40 S&W. Choose one, practice and feel good either way. :cheers:

Edited by latewatch

I don't like the firing pin safety mechanism on pretty much any 1911, but it's not like they fail with any frequency. I think you could find a decent gun from either manufacturer. I was going to say you should look at one of the recently discontinuted SIS Kimbers, but I don't think they have the firing pin safety. R,

The way the firing pin safety works on the S&W is a neat setup if you have to have one, it works with the grip safety and doesn't effect the quality of the trigger. I took mine out because I wanted to pin my grip safety and you can't do it with that assembly installed.

Tim

I don't like the firing pin safety mechanism on pretty much any 1911, but it's not like they fail with any frequency. I think you could find a decent gun from either manufacturer. I was going to say you should look at one of the recently discontinuted SIS Kimbers, but I don't think they have the firing pin safety. R,

I don't think they have a rail.

Did you mention Para to them? They have a firing pin safety and the capacity you want.

No I will have to look into them.

I see they don't have light rails on the Para's. I suppose that a smith could add one no problem?

hey dude

you can get a rail added to any 1911 out there, Novak for one does this.

Para does have a light rail gun, but you probably need to call Para and ask for Geoarge Wedge the sales honcho to get one, they make severa models with rails.

I would probably have the internals replaced by EGW or Dawson with some HD use parts (tool steel). I have had paras die in my hands due to high round count wear, slide stops get all chewed up and trigger parts, extractors have disintegrated on me

I would probably carry a Glock 21 SF for a duty gun if Hi cap was a must have though.

If you are stuck on a 1911, break the bank for something you trust your life on and carry extra magazines (like 4) if you are concerned about ammo capacity

Did you mention Para to them? They have a firing pin safety and the capacity you want.

I called them and the guy I talked to said they do not have a firing pin safety.

I have been impressed with the fit and function of my S&W. With a good set of sights it has been a solid performer. Although I am not a fan of them, I have not noticed any intrusion of the drop safety into the operation of the gun.

Problem is those go back to the orginal issue of only having 10rd mag capacity.

A guy at work said he saw an article in American Rifleman that talked about a .40 1911 with 18rd capacity that was just coming out. He thought that it had the firing pin safety. Anyone familar with it?

Carry a Kimber in 45acp and get the double mag pouch where it is 2X2 and you carry 4 mags in one pouch.

Put in 10 round mags and you have 40 rounds on the belt and 8+1 in your gun. 49 rounds of 230gr is a lot.

Randy

I called them and the guy I talked to said they do not have a firing pin safety.

The people at Para told you that?

Correct, that is what they told me.

Interesting. My P14 has one and the manual that you can download on their site indicates that they still sue them.

The people at Para told you that?

Correct, that is what they told me.

Interesting. My P14 has one and the manual that you can download on their site indicates that they still sue them.

Ok I downloaded the manual and see what you are talking about. I will have to do some more checking tomorrow.

If that's the case, I can sell you a rare collector's item P16.40 that has the series 80 FP safety. I had no idea it was a one-off!

Which aftermarket rail would keep the light closest to the frame similar to the one cut in the dust cover? It will need to fit a duty holster. Preferably the safariland 6004.