Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

V-Tac modular hand guard

wannabe

The Vtac handguard was designed to use their pic rails. They utilize the slots in the handguard for alignment and mounting. If you tried another brand of rails you would most likely have to drill and tap mounting holes for them .

You may notice that the JP/VTAC handguards are very popular amongst 3-gunners. I have 2 uppers with them and love them. I don't hang anything on my rifle for matches (except a light for night matches) so it keeps them lean & light. Makes it easy to attach to barricades and nice & slim for dealing with ports/etc. I will on occasion sling up, so I do have a small piece of pic rail for my sling mount.

Edited by esskay

There are two kinds of VTAC modular handguards now. One is made by JP and the other is made by Troy Industries.

I like the new Troy Ind. made Viking Tactics (VTAC) rails. They come in 7", 9", 11" and 13" all of them include two 2" rail segments and a one 4" segment. They are priced higher than JPs but JPs don't come with the rail segments.

I have a 13" one on my 3gun rifle.

3gun.jpg

3gun2.jpg

There are two kinds of VTAC modular handguards now. One is made by JP and the other is made by Troy Industries.

I like the new Troy Ind. made Viking Tactics (VTAC) rails. They come in 7", 9", 11" and 13" all of them include two 2" rail segments and a one 4" segment. They are priced higher than JPs but JPs don't come with the rail segments.

I have a 13" one on my 3gun rifle.

3gun.jpg

3gun2.jpg

That does look good. Think I might just get me one of them.

Anyone know the weight difference between the VTAC and carbon fiber rifle length handguards?

Clark carbon is 6,7 and the Vtac rifle lenth (JP) is 19,75 ounce both are including the barrel nut

I like this new VTAC but how is it attached to the barrel nut ?

Does it clamp with thos 2 bottom screws ?

Edited by patrickbeijer

Nice rifle, what is that small item on your top rail?

Me thinks that's a sling mount for a QD type sling. Looks like he's got a MI(?) rear sling mount at the base of the receiver extension.

Thanks, figured it out, I think it's the new VTAC low profile sling mount.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know the weight difference between the VTAC and carbon fiber rifle length handguards?

Clark carbon is 6,7 and the Vtac rifle lenth (JP) is 19,75 ounce both are including the barrel nut

It uses a proprietary barrel nut that is included. Just install bbl nut like normal. Than slip on the handguard with it 1 tooth offset to the left. When you have it all the way down turn it to the right to align it (it has a anti rotation pin to stop it) than tighten the 2 clamp bolts on the bottom.

It's only $5 than the original 12'' VTAC straight from VT.

The extreme version has a list weight of 12.6 oz with bbl nut.

Looks sexy too

1G6U2451.jpg

1G6U2452.jpg

1G6U2670.jpg

Edited by tt350z

JP's web site lists the Vtac at 15oz, but maybe that's without the nut?

How solid is the new handguard?

I like the JP one but had to use blue loctite between the free float tube and tenon to keep it very solid.

I am a bit worried about the small screw holding everything in place. (this tube is installed on a very heavy barreled upper, so the load on it is heavy). The screws alone wouldn't take the load.

David

I think the extreme version is more solid. Instead of having a few screws holding the tube in place, there's a bunch of lugs (roughly half of the tube) on the extreme that grabs onto the barrel nut. Mine was also a pretty snug fit to get it on there and rotated to get it properly oriented. I don't see it slipping off or shearing off for my uses anytime soon. The 2 clamp bolts just keep it from rotating, preventing it from

Just imagine the barrel nut as the barrel extension and the handguard as the bolt. The handguards lock into place just as the bolt gets locked in the extension.

Edited by tt350z

We have had no problems with our V-Tac's. We are even using some on our patrol rifles. We are able to put any stuff we need on the rifle without the excess weight you have with some set-ups.