Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match coming up

Alright the time is here (well almost). I'm going to attend my very first USPSA match on Saturday the 3rd. I'm just going to go out there and try to be the safest shooter I can be and do the best I can and work from there. My new-to-me gun is here, I've practiced with it, and I know how it runs and feels to shoot. It's a Para PXT P-16 .40 with a 3lb trigger. It also came with 4 hi-cap mags equipped with dawson BP's so I can squeeze 20 rounds into 3 of them and 21 rounds into one of them. So till Saturday Ive got some reloading to do but I'm pretty sure Ill be able to put togeather 500 rounds before the weekend without too much trouble. Wish me luck!

-Mike

Good Luck! I am a few weeks behind you, have fun and let us know how it went.

Alright the time is here (well almost). I'm going to attend my very first USPSA match on Saturday the 3rd. I'm just going to go out there and try to be the safest shooter I can be and do the best I can and work from there. My new-to-me gun is here, I've practiced with it, and I know how it runs and feels to shoot. It's a Para PXT P-16 .40 with a 3lb trigger. It also came with 4 hi-cap mags equipped with dawson BP's so I can squeeze 20 rounds into 3 of them and 21 rounds into one of them. So till Saturday Ive got some reloading to do but I'm pretty sure Ill be able to put togeather 500 rounds before the weekend without too much trouble. Wish me luck!

-Mike

good luck! go with an open mind and willingness to learn! ask a lot of questions from your squad mates (with proper timing-if someone is about to shoot and trying to visualize things, dont bother them). Be safe and have fun!! welcome to the best/worst decision you'll ever make! :cheers:

good luck! go with an open mind and willingness to learn! ask a lot of questions from your squad mates (with proper timing-if someone is about to shoot and trying to visualize things, dont bother them). Be safe and have fun!! welcome to the best/worst decision you'll ever make! :cheers:

Thanks. As we often tell new skydivers "you dont know what you dont know" so Ill apply this same line of thinking and learn all I can. I'm looking foward to getting off of work today. Ill be going down to Sandy to pick up some bullets, powder, oh and yeah a brand new dillon 550 (I currently reload all my ammo with a single stage RCBS and have done thousands of rounds this way)! You gotta love going to Baghdad and the money you make while you're there. I'm also going to be bringing out a girl from my work who really wants to give it a try too. Ill probably let her use my Glock 22, hell Ill even spring for a holster and some mag pouches she can use. I figure even if she decides not to stay with it Ill still have a rig to use for production if I want. I'm really looking foward to getting some new stuff and getting involved in a fun game!

-Mike

Good luck! Remember you only have two jobs that day: Be safe and have fun -- in that order. Everything else will take care of itself....

I concur! If you are safe there is nothing to even worry about. Don't over think this. Matches are not that big of a deal after you get over the, "I don't want to suck", feeling. Lets face it most of us sucked the first time out but if we did things right and were safe we had a great time and came back for more.

Good Luck in your first match. Sounds like you got a good gun. A couple tips, 1. safe is good be safe above all else. 2. When one of them rip snotin fire breathing open gun toting BigDawgs goes thru a stage in 2.21 seconds remember to just run at your own pace and make your hits. And lastly most stages are laid out in 8 shot arrays so make a reload plan based on 16 shots and do your reload when moving, its likley that you will take a few extra shots here and there so don't try to strech your mags, they are made of steel you can't do it. Ok one more if you run into one of those TX Stars and you shoot all the ammo on your belt, well it has happened to all of us, that is how we learned. :rolleyes:

Edited by CocoBolo

shoot only as fast as you can see a good sight picture onthe target, you will morethan likely be squadded w people who have doingthis game from anywhere from a few months to many yrs, BE SAFE, when in doubt point the gun at an impact berm, notthe ground or the sky....remember ask LOTS of questions, the only dumb one is the one you dont ask...enjoy, its a blast

At your first match, you will be judged on one thing only: Does this guy make me want to duck behind a barricade? Everyone around you won't even notice the speed you're shooting, they'll be watching your muzzle to see if you're being safe. Be safe. Be loved. Safety is love.

H.

JUST SPRAY AND PRAY!!!!!! :goof::goof: Why not, it's your first match. :huh:

Brad continues to shoot this way! :sight:

What? I have NO idea what you're talking about. Just because I shoot 365 rounds on five stages that only require 180 rounds............don't judge me. :closedeyes::roflol:

Great to see more and more new shooters.

Be safe, help with pasting targets and setting up steel and everyone will want you back next time.

Welcome to one of the funnest things you can do while being dressed! :cheers:

Edited by Team Amish 1

Be safe, help with pasting targets and setting up steel and everyone will want you back next time.

I actually called the event POC and told him I would come out after work today to help set up for tomorrow. I figure this will help present a good positive attitude as well as give me a few things to mill over in my head tonight about how the stages are set up and getting some COF questions ready to go for the more experienced guys to help me out with.

This is your last chance to run away. :blink: I strongly advise to find another hobby. You will never be the same. One hit from the Uspsa crack pipe and its all over. :surprise: Before you know it you'll have a 1050, Open gun, AR, shotgun and about 5 pistols just to shoot a match. Then comes the vacations(way to sneak in a match in another state).

Just thought I would make sure you know what your getting into because after that first match there is no looking back. :devil:

Flyin

Alrighty. Shot my first match and it was super fun. I did get 3 no-shoots and that kind of hurt my score I think, but over all I think I did pretty well for my first match. In Limited I placed 12th out of 22, and overall I shot 23 out of 36. I did have some feeding issues with one of my mags, but there were pleanty of Masters and a GM out there helping me out with the issue. Here's the link to the scores. Im Mike Miller.

My link

You shoot with your clothes ON? :surprise::surprise::surprise:

This is your last chance to run away. :blink: I strongly advise to find another hobby. You will never be the same. One hit from the Uspsa crack pipe and its all over. :surprise: Then comes the vacations(way to sneak in a match in another state).

Just thought I would make sure you know what your getting into because after that first match there is no looking back. :devil:

Flyin

This is more true than some might think. Last year was my first full season. This year I'm going to Area 6 and shooting as many neighboring state shoots as I can. I would go to the nationals if it were possible to get in. If you like shooting, USPSA is the way to do it for sure.