Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanna-b-speedy (part 3)

Flexmoney

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a big deal when your skill level and your awareness reaches a point to where you can say. "I found that I could shoot A's as fast as I could shoot anything else"

On the other hand:

Just by chance I happened on this entry on Rob's site: http://www.robleatham.com/answers040910.htm

It's advice to a Rio Salado shooter who was shooting all A's and losing. Rob seems to be saying not to shoot all A's, though of course he's not saying to just hose brown. It's a lengthy breakdown of the issue of sacrificing points for better time. He says, for example, that shooting an El Prez, he'll shoot for A/C's as fast as possible. Interestingly, he says it'd take him seven to eight seconds to be dead certain to shoot it clean. I have trouble believeing that, but if he says so....

Also, drifting from the topic a bit, I believe that when Cooper et. al. were saying that a 10-second clean El Prez. was great, they were shooting at 10 meters (not much difference, but a bit), and shooting 185pf loads, not 175 and certainly not 165.

It is a big deal when your skill level and your awareness reaches a point to where you can say. "I found that I could shoot A's as fast as I could shoot anything else"

On the other hand:

Just by chance I happened on this entry on Rob's site: http://www.robleatham.com/answers040910.htm

It's advice to a Rio Salado shooter who was shooting all A's and losing. Rob seems to be saying not to shoot all A's, though of course he's not saying to just hose brown. It's a lengthy breakdown of the issue of sacrificing points for better time. He says, for example, that shooting an El Prez, he'll shoot for A/C's as fast as possible. Interestingly, he says it'd take him seven to eight seconds to be dead certain to shoot it clean. I have trouble believeing that, but if he says so....

Robbie dropped less than 80 points at the Nationals last year, not counting the 2 no-shoots. I think it was like a 1850 point match, (maybe more) so that's still around 95+% A's. It wasn't an elprez match.

I know what he is saying but realize a lot of it is high skilled applications and you still need A's to win. Just do it fast.

Robbie dropped less than 80 points at the Nationals last year, not counting the 2 no-shoots. I think it was like a 1850 point match, (maybe more) so that's still around 95+% A's. It wasn't an elprez match.

I know what he is saying but realize a lot of it is high skilled applications and you still need A's to win. Just do it fast.

Sure. I personally was able to speed up my shooting by not rushing (I assume the rushing included a lot of dithering to get on target, which wasted time, and then a paniced feeling that I'd better get the shot off, which sent the shots awry), but I was an inconsistant B shooter at the time. Better shooters had presumably already smoothed the dithering out. When I start shooting again, I'll start slow and sure.

I know that when TGO advises top shooters, the advice doesn't literally apply to me. But I gather that there are a lot of high-A, Master, and GM shooters discussing this, and I'm intrigued by the differing approaches, which are really not differences in substance but variations in nuance. These are good to store away, for possible later recognition in my own shooting.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to think that this series of threads is more about the mental, than the physical. In my mind, it is for the shooter that is already technically strong. The shooter has the ability, but has mental hurdles that are getting in the way.

This brings up a conversation with Adam Popplewell (dogdoc in these parts) a few weeks ago. You can go a year or more without seeing Adam at a local match. I'm sure he's shooting somewhere, practicing, but as far as matches go, and I hit them all in the DFW/North Texas area, you can literally go forever without seeing Adam there.

All of a sudden he's out shooting again, and he is seriously kicking everyone's ass. Bad. He's beating the local GM types and M types by over 15%...... So I asked him how much of this game is just knowing you can do it vs. trying to do it. He paused and thought about it for a moment and (to paraphrase) said, yeah, I think that just knowing you can counts for quite a bit.

I'd like to think that this series of threads is more about the mental, than the physical. In my mind, it is for the shooter that is already technically strong. The shooter has the ability, but has mental hurdles that are getting in the way.

This brings up a conversation with Adam Popplewell (dogdoc in these parts) a few weeks ago. You can go a year or more without seeing Adam at a local match. I'm sure he's shooting somewhere, practicing, but as far as matches go, and I hit them all in the DFW/North Texas area, you can literally go forever without seeing Adam there.

All of a sudden he's out shooting again, and he is seriously kicking everyone's ass. Bad. He's beating the local GM types and M types by over 15%...... So I asked him how much of this game is just knowing you can do it vs. trying to do it. He paused and thought about it for a moment and (to paraphrase) said, yeah, I think that just knowing you can counts for quite a bit.

I drink that line of thinking by the big tall glass full. It is often enough to carry me...without much practice (anymore). Yet, skills do degrade. A real lack of practice can sneak into the mental game and make you doubt and wonder after a while...and, that ain't knowing.