Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing causing rings around brass

redwoods

I have rings around my 9mm brass that is being caused by my EGW Lee undersize die.

I am loading 9mm and using Hornady One Shot. It doesn't happen on every one.

I am including a pic. Any Ideas?

Randy

post-5645-126939324018_thumb.jpg

Can you feel the ring? I mean, it's not just a mark on the case where the die stopped? i get something like this on my 40 cases, but it's just the mark on the case left by the die. I've actually tumbled them after loading and it has disappeared.

Looks like a sharp edge inside the die, like Doug said I would contact EGW and send it back. I have a Lee U die and I get complements on how nice my brass looks when I give it away. Everything gets processed but only certain brands are saved.

I have rings around my 9mm brass that is being caused by my EGW Lee undersize die.

I am loading 9mm and using Hornady One Shot. It doesn't happen on every one.

I am including a pic. Any Ideas?

Randy

post-5645-126939324018_thumb.jpg

Recently (in the last few months), EGW got a bunch of 9mm "U" dies from Lee that were too undersized and caused the ring, ridge, etc. at the point where the die stopped its downward travel on the brass. I had one of these dies and contacted EGW about it. They immediately shipped me a new, properly sized "U" die along with a postage paid envelope to return the bad die. They know these "bad" 9mm dies are out there, but since they don 't carry unique serial numbers, they don't know where they are. You need to contact them and will gladly replace the bad die. My new, properly sized 9mm die DOES NOT leave a ring, ridge, etc. on the brass.

back in the day, a friend was shooting a 9x21 and making major in a tangfolio custom, we called his brass 'baby belted magnums' he loaded em like that in the pics, and they were fine, thos nowadays with the advent ofthe casepro you might be able to work that part out??? tho bythe threads it sounds like it was some defective dies....

I'll bring some of the 9mm I reloaded with a U die to the next Aurora match on 4 Apr for you to compare against if you want. It's kinda hard to tell from the photo, but I get a ring too. as long as it's not scraping or pealing off the brass at the ring, it's probably OK.

Edited to add: Damn, just looked at the second and third pics. Ya, that isn't right. Send the die back.

Edited by SA Friday