Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor Gone Bad?

ErikW

My Open gun stovepiped today and cost me a match win. It last stovepiped at the nationals (Sept.), and before that at the Crazy Croc (Aug.). I first thought it was the recoil spring, which I changed. Then I discovered the extractor was loose, so I tightened it. This is the first jam since tightening it.

Is it possible for an extractor to "go bad," getting loose and failing to hold tension?

FWIW, today was with eight-times fired (9th firing) RP +P brass, and the other jams mentioned were with new or once-fired Starline brass.

if you have a standard extractor (non aftec) it is probably time for a new one. the metal fatigues after so many cycles. its just like a recoil spring or mag spring. you can tighten it up but it will lose tension in increasingly shorter round counts. get an aftec and don't worry about this again. good shooting, j.l. hardy

So how the heck do you "tighten" a loose extractor anyway?

New firing pin stop?

I'd put an AFTEC in there.....

1. Place extracter halfway in tunnel.

2. As stated bend to left. (takes a certain feel and practice)

3. Replace extracter and test to see if supports loaded round.

4. Go shoot.

5. UNLESS it is a used extractor then if so its bad, yes Erik it is bad and will fail again. Probably when you are shooting 95% of Robbie at Area 2. They are spring parts and lose their "spring" after bit.

Not sure about that Aftec thing. I am with Benos. Voodoo magic or something. :rolleyes::unsure::ph34r: Actually I have a theory but don't want the rabid Aftec fans wound up.

It's the original extractor, possibly STI, maybe Ed Brown, circa 2000 or whenever my gun was built (early 2001?). Somewhere around 12,000 rounds through it, maybe.

This is what I feared, getting a new extractor and tuning it myself. I did this successfully for my Limited gun (even did a spare), but I fear the more restricted ejection path of the Open gun (straight out under the C-More mount) is going to be difficult.

I'll be Brian's first customer if he carries the new SV pre-tuned extractor soon.

I don't know about AFTECs.... some people swear by them and others swear at them. And my record isn't too good with parts with hinge pins and little springs. For the price I'd rather have one standard extractor and one pre-fitted/tuned spare.

Eric my friend, you will be soooo much ahead if you get an AFTEC. I've used them in both .40 and .38Super and have had ZERO problems. They don't need tuning, you just change out the springs once every 5-10k rounds. I thought it was a gadget too before I used one, now I will never own a competiton gun without one. Plus, the springs are a buck a piece compared to $40 plus for an extractor.

The aftects donot need constant tunning but do require to be installed by some one who knows what they are doing. When I install one I usualy put in a new propely fitted and shaped firing pin stop. I am no exspert so I will refere

them to J.L. or Rusty Kidd (designer)ethier of whom can make em realy go.

Johnnie

An Aftec solved problems in my open gun, at least that was the last ting I replaced and then it started running fine.

That said I have regular extractors in all of my other 1911's and they work fine, in fact the one in my Para 40 rattles when the gun is empty but it never has a problem.

It's a coin toss when buying standard extractors. Some say they use only quality steel but some are just P.O.S. steel. I've bought Ed Browns and Wilsons, they are holding up very well, the only extractory I had to replace was a Caspian 38 super that just lost it's clamping power after about 12k rounds. Make sure the firing pin stop is a well fitted EGW oversized. josh

You should replace after 15k rounds. The hooks can and do break off.

We like to tension between the center bump and the hook. You aquire a "feel" when bending them. if it bends too easily you know it will not hold tension over time. Rockwell testing can be a guilde. extractors over 47 seem to hold tension better. But not a hard and fast rule.

For us if it loosed tension throw it away, it will again and at the worts possible time.

geo

Guest Larry Cazes

Never had a problem in all of my single stacks with Wilson's barstock extractor. The wilson is reasonably cheap too, $25.00.

Eric, steel after heat treat has a memory. bend it it will come/go back unless you go past it's yield point.

i have AFTEC in every toy i have and they all work 100%.

they make them out of some very tough grade tool steel.

then again, leave the old one in so i can have a better chance of beating you at richmond. HEE-HEE!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just experimented with this, "tempered steel memory" thing. I heated one up and dropped it in ice cold water. Not very good, I think you have to bend it in a clamp and keep it clamped during the heating and rapid cooling process. Not very practical. josh