Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN >LIMITED GUNS

usmc1974

I was just wondering,maybe it is just me but, it seems like my forearms and elbows hurt a little after I shoot open( 38 super 124 going 1350) guns in a match or practice round. Compared to shooting a limited gun like say a single stack 45 (200 going about 850)

Your right. Open guns are violent and direct some of the force back into your body. Its part of the game. Don't let it affect your shooting and you will be fine

Edited by BSeevers

Your right. Open guns are violent and direct some of the force back into your body. Its part of the game. Don't let it affect your shooting and you will be fine

I did not know that. I guess the force has to go some where. That said when the buzzer sounds it is time to shoot.

Edited by usmc1974

I did not know that. I guess the force has to go some where. That said when the buzzer sounds it is time to shoot.

Yep, they don't flip as much so that energy turns into more straight back recoil. The comp actually wants to pull the gun forward (gas hitting the side of the baffles closer to you) but it can only do so much.

I've known folks over the years that wear the pressure wrap things (no idea what they're called) on their forearms when shooting an Open gun (sometimes just one arm) to help minimize the discomfort you're talking about. R,

A buddy of mine was asking me if I got tennis elbow from shooting my 38 super comp the other day. I was thrown off thinking I'm not playing tennis, so what are you talking about. Then he showed me a wrist band he wears when he does a lot of shooting and had me shoot again and after a sting he asked me to wear the wrist band and shoot another string. I could definitely feel a difference. He explained that by wearing the wrist band it kept the tendons in line and tight, thus providing more comfort to the shooter.

I now have a wrist band.

Sounds like you got yourself one of them violent guns. If its a shorty I don't think there is a cure. My Briley was so violent it hurt to shoot it. Loved the hits hated the gun. I went thru a bunch of powders to find the softest shooting powder it was better but still not good. Next it was a change of comp and wow I love the thing, and I added a we bit of weight to the gun with a steel guide rod and its as tame as can be now. But G-Man is right its got a bit more straight back and some of that can be the powder you are using, N105 shoots pretty flat but it hits you, AA#7 almost as flat but much less kick.

I love shooting my single stack and Limited gun, its the soft pulse in the hand. Since I invested a gobsmacking amount of money in open I have kept shooting it, after a year and a half I finally got to the point with the gun, powder and mostly me where I don't pay any attention to the blast recoil or flip I'm just shooting, then its fun. If you can't get comfortable its not fun.

You also need to look at how you are holding the gun and your stance. If you are locking your arms its going to take a toll on your shoulders and back. Break the elbows a bit and let the arms be the shock absorber, and you can fight recoil but that's going to put more stess into your grip. Then let me just add that you have to hurt muscle to build muscle, and if you are not shooting two or three days a week your working muscles that have been laying around doing nothing for a long time.

Look at a high speed video of a Open shooter. The "ripples" through the upper body are pretty intense. I have been a serious Open shooter for 20+ years and had my share of tennis elbow. I pretty much hurt all the time but its not all Super caused. Some reason my arms got old?

Look at a high speed video of a Open shooter. The "ripples" through the upper body are pretty intense. I have been a serious Open shooter for 20+ years and had my share of tennis elbow. I pretty much hurt all the time but its not all Super caused. Some reason my arms got old?

:rolleyes: Did he just call himself OLD? :surprise:

:roflol:

Edited by Chris Keen

It is a short gun 8.5 inches from back of slide to very end of the comp. I am shooting 7 grains 7625 124mg JHP bullets 1.245 oal.at about 1350 fps. I really like shooting this gun,it is loud and holds a lot of bullets B) so I will need a forearm band and maybe a wrist band. Thanks Guys

Edited by usmc1974

It is a short gun 8.5 inches from back of slide to very end of the comp. I am shooting 7 grains 7625 124mg JHP bullets 1.245 oal.at about 1350 fps. I really like shooting this gun,it is load and holds a lot of bullets B) so I will need a forearm band and maybe a wrist band. Thanks Guys

You'll have to bump up that load quite a bit if you're going to make any major matches...about another 50fps. ;)

It is a short gun 8.5 inches from back of slide to very end of the comp. I am shooting 7 grains 7625 124mg JHP bullets 1.245 oal.at about 1350 fps. I really like shooting this gun,it is load and holds a lot of bullets B) so I will need a forearm band and maybe a wrist band. Thanks Guys

You'll have to bump up that load quite a bit if you're going to make any major matches...about another 50fps. ;)

124*1331=165044/1000=165.044 or am I missing something?

:rolleyes: Did he just call himself OLD? :surprise:

:roflol:

Fast enough for you, Old Man

I did just mean my arms, and its got to be frustrating having an old guy beat you?

usmc1974

as stated you need to load well above 165-167 because of different chronos, weather conditions and lack of praying to the range gods. Most people keep the average around 170 PF because of this fact. Going minor will drop you around 8-10% in the finals. Another way is to make sure no round is below the 1331. Oh also your bullet is weighed and I see lots of 124 gr come out as 123.8 or 124.5 You probably get the point but I would load maybe a .10 more til you get chronoed and get a feel where you are falling on major match chronos.

Oh here's another reason I have less tennis elbow now and you dont need to worry about a 170 PF. It used to be 175PF for years and I shot a 115 gr going like 1580 fps. Shocking sound through a hybrid strip that I was running. Shocking to the joints too.

Edited by BSeevers

Open hurts my wrist more than limited does, but I haven't had additional elbow issues yet. Wrist issues are caused by:

#1 53 yrs old

#2 Mouse on computer

#3 Shooting

#4 Reloading.

Can't do anything about #1.

Workstation ergonomics helps #2.

Form helps #3.

Bought a PW Autodrive for #4. This seems to be helping.

I have a Chrony F-1 Chronograph, 7 grains 7625 is getting me about 1350-1360 running about a 167/168 pf,I just used 1331 as floor. Boy, I know well about the shooting Gods, oooh yea. :rolleyes:

That margin is NOT enough. I load to a minimum of 172pf based on experience with chrono at major matches.

I have a Chrony F-1 Chronograph, 7 grains 7625 is getting me about 1350-1360 running about a 167/168 pf,I just used 1331 as floor. Boy, I know well about the shooting Gods, oooh yea. :rolleyes:

That margin is NOT enough. I load to a minimum of 172pf based on experience with chrono at major matches.

Are major matches chorno's that poorly maintianed?